4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 6:05 AM by PhilsRad

Creating a chiseled/carved look

PhilsRad

I tried various "text" tutorials to achieve this look but I just can't get it to work.

I have a photo of a rock and I need to make a logo appear as if it was carved in it.
      Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial or any tips you may have?

Here's the rock I have to use,

Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 10.59.31 AM.png

And for this instance (to protect client) an "S" logo,

Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 11.02.51 AM.png

Where I got it, but it looks off,

Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 11.03.10 AM.png

• 1. Re: Creating a chiseled/carved look
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It looks "off" because you forgot that the structure inside the stone would look different than on the outside - the strata would have folded differently, there would be inclusions, microfractures and all that. Create the letter on a duplicate of the layer which you have slightly shifted/ skewed around. also frizzing up the edges a bit might help. Depending on what look you want, the carved region would also look darker because it hasn't bleached as much in the sun or in reverse, look a lot brighter depending on teh composition of the material and dust from the "carving" having covered its surface... Also, naturally, with that strong a shadow implying a deeper region, you may need to simulate the side walls...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Creating a chiseled/carved look
            Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

Do a web search for "Photoshop displacement maps". You'l find lots of tutorials about this.

• 3. Re: Creating a chiseled/carved look
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

It's not a nice rock picture as well.  The area you are using is very over exposed and taken in very harsh lighting conditions.  Plus the rock is not flat, so the logo/text would wrap around it to some extent.

The usual way to do this is to add a Bevel & Emboss layer style, and take the layer Fill down to zero %.  Is that what you did?  I like Mylenium's idea of clipping a different rock texture inside the logo/text to show what might lay beneath.  Or how about using the same texture, but shifting it just enough to show a sort of parallax effect.  Probably the wrong word, but you are looking at it a wee bit deeper, so it would be just a little bit misaligned with the surface.

But main thing is to use a decent rock image.

• 4. Re: Creating a chiseled/carved look
                PhilsRad Level 1

If only I could change the rock, but I am stuck with it.