5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 1:48 PM by kglad

Newer flash player not opening SWFs

mcstampfunk Level 1

Hi Everyone

I'm a teacher and am having problem opening student SWF files. I believe many of my students are still in Flash CS6, or perhaps CS5.

I have Flash CC installed. It looks like my Flash Player is 11.7.700.169. But I also have Flash Player 11.4.402.265, which from what I understand is the Flash CS6 player??

When I try to open their SWF to view, it just closes immediately. I can open the .FLA fine., although when this has happened it looks like students have used TLF text, and I get a message from Flash CC saying this is unsupported. But if they have done anything with fonts I don't have, I can't see their work as intended. This is an intro class, so they really haven't learned about embedding yet.

My hunch is that the TLF text won't run in the newer Flash player. But I'm wondering why the SWF doesn't then come up okay with version 11.4xxx.  Any ideas on what I can do ?

• 1. Re: Newer flash player not opening SWFs
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1.  if they are not embedding fonts and you don't have a font used by one of your students, you won't see their project the same way they see it.

2.  that said, you should still be able to see their swfs.  just open a swf (or better, the embedding html) in a web browser that has a flash player plugin..

• 2. Re: Newer flash player not opening SWFs
            mcstampfunk Level 1

Thanks. Yes, you're right on #1. That's why I'm trying to view the SWF because I need to see their original designs.

I didn't try the browser before, and that does work for me. I guess I will have to do it htat way. My usual work flow is to right click (I'm on a Mac) on the SWF and open in the Flash player. It won't open that way anymore for those types of files.

I also tried to view in Bridge, which I do sometimes also. The preview window just comes up blank.

• 3. Re: Newer flash player not opening SWFs

when you right click and click on the swf, you're using your stand-alone flash player.  most people don't keep those players updated.

if you wanted to updated your standalone player, you can go here:  http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

and install the projector player for mac.

in any case, you cannot see any student's original design (that contains unembedded fonts) unless you open their fla in flash pro>and confirm there are no missing fonts detected by flash.

if missing fonts are detected open their fla in flash pro>view the list of missing fonts displayed by flash pro>download and install those fonts>restart flash and then open their fla and confirm there are no missing fonts. 

you can now open their swf in any flash player you have installed (as long as you see no message about needing an updated flash player).

• 4. Re: Newer flash player not opening SWFs
                mcstampfunk Level 1

I tried to update there and I think I had the latest version already. It still won't show the SWF at all from the projector player.

I don't think the fonts are the problem because those will still show as default Arial (or whatever) at least. The SWF outright won't open, and I think it is the TLF text since that is unsupported now in Flash CC. Although it works in the browser. Hm....

• 5. Re: Newer flash player not opening SWFs

if you're using windows, right click the swf and click "run as administrator". 

if that fails, right click the swf>click "open with..">see what flash player version is listed, if any.