4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 2:56 PM by Kranex1

monitor recomendation for editing/color corection/ grading?

naumen Level 1

Hello

I am c300 owner, and slowly learning editing and color correction on my  CS6 PP, probably later will learn to work as well in Resolve.....  anyway, when it comes to pc monitors what would u recommend? and what  should i look at when buying monitor? how many monitors do i need?

my pc specs : I7 950 3.07GHz, Win7 64 bit, 24GB ram, GTX 580 3GB

Regards

• 1. Re: monitor recomendation for editing/color corection/ grading?
          Jim_Simon Level 9

I'd recommend buying whatever monitor you want for the GUI and getting the best quality TV you can afford for external viewing.

The operating system, the graphics card and even the software itself all can and often do affect the video signal displayed on the screen, so they're no good for CC work.  You need to get the signal off the computer and onto a properly calibrated TV, usually with something from AJA or Blackmagic.  It's the only way to be sure you're seeing the signal accurately, and that's the first step in any kind of grading or color correction.

• 2. Re: monitor recomendation for editing/color corection/ grading?
            Kranex1 Level 1

Well color correction and color grading is critical work, so to make the best of it you need the higher quality monitors. Otherwise, you may get something other than what you want--which kinda defeats the purpose.

Ten bit monitors are of course generally considered the best, but they can go up to 14bit if you have really deep pockets; and that's only if you have the graphics card(s) to supports them.

Wide gamut IPS LED panels with 2560 x 1440 resolution are the better choice when compared to 1080p TN panels. The latest improvement S-IPS, may increase reponse time and contrast ratio.

As for monitor count, I'd say a minunum of two 27", with three being the sweet spot. Hopefully, these monitors will be identical and hopefully color matched with a calibration tool. More money.

You can spend $400 or $4000+ on a single monitors, but the difference may not be worth it unless you have a pretty demanding client on the other end. Choose wisely.

• 3. Re: monitor recomendation for editing/color corection/ grading?
              naumen Level 1

so u say if my card is just 8 bit.... curently gtx580 , but planing to get 680 or 780 ...... still 8 bit, its not worth getting 10bit monitor or even higher prduction monitor? right?

• 4. Re: monitor recomendation for editing/color corection/ grading?
                Kranex1 Level 1
                naumen,

Aug 8, 2013 8:21 PM    in reply to Kranex1 

so u say if my card is just 8 bit.... curently gtx580 , but planing to get 680 or 780 ...... still 8 bit, its not worth getting 10bit monitor or even higher prduction monitor? right?

Right! Those are gaming cards; very fast, but for pro applications they do not support 10 bit. You need a Quadro for that. And its all or nothing: 10 bit monitor, application, OS, and card to support it.