2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 5:18 PM by dcampbellUoI

Indesign CS5 DataMerge...

dcampbellUoI

Ok, I have followed the datamerge directions (created a document, created a data file, saved data file in both csv and txt formats) connected to the data source and when I try to drag the data fields into my document, nothing.  The fields can't be selected (they show up in the datamerge pannel just fine), but nothing I try will get the fields to insert as data placeholders.  Been reading through the forums and it seems like I am following the correct steps, but not sure if it is a ID10T error, PEBCAK or what. 

Any help for a "new to data-merger" user???

Thanks

• 1. Re: Indesign CS5 DataMerge...
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You need a text frame to put them in.... (or an image frame if you are merging images).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Indesign CS5 DataMerge...
            dcampbellUoI Level 1

First, many thanks!  I have seen you name on the forums before, and your response helped me figure out the problem.

1. I decided to create a new text frame, but then discovered that none of the menu features would drop down. 
            2. Did a search for that type of error.
            3. Discovered that in Windows 7, InDesign has an fun little bug where if you have personalized your screen to greater than 125% (Mine was set at 150%)
              • None of your drop menus, select features, or tool switches will work
              • You will become frustrated and contemplate several options, such as seeing if your computer can fly
              • You will discover that DataMerge fields can not be moved into the target document with personalization greater than 125%

I set personalization back down to 100% (normal) and everything worked fine!  Had you not made your suggestion, I would not have checked, not discovered the issue and would at this moment be watching my PC soar like an eagle out the 5th floor window. 

Cheers!