30 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 3:12 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage

Phil_Pappadakes

I recently began working with Premiere Elements 11 recreationally at home after working with Pro at work. I recorded 1080i footage running at 59.94 and wanted to deinterlace the footage to 1080p 29.97. However, when I try this, the program goes through about 2% of the footage before completely shutting down and Windows popping up saying it has stopped working and must be restarted. I've done this process multiple times with multiple files of 1080i footage. Any solutions to this problem?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you describe what steps you are taking -- and how you plan to use the finished footage (posted to YouTube or Facebook, used in another project, burned to DVD or BluRay)? That will determine the best way for you to output it.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Check the project properties (under the Edit menu) to ensure Premiere Elements has properly set up your project. If it has, you should see no yellow lines above your video clips in Expert View. Is that the case in your project?

If the project is set up properly, it could be a resource problem with your computer. Have you run Disk Cleanup and the Defragmenter recently? Premiere Elements needs large blocks of contiguous free space and stray tmp files can thwart this process.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
            Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

Thanks Steve,

The footage is coming from my Blackmagic Intensity Pro for the purpose of archiving and possibly YouTube upload. The format/resolution is 1080i at 59.94. The Project settings do match up with the source footage and there are no yellow bars around the preview in Expert View.

While I hadn't run Disk Cleanup or Defragmenter in the past week, after reading your suggestion I did with no resolve.

Also, if it's any consolation to understanding the computer's overall resources, I can export everything incredibly easily with no hangups when I don't ask Premiere Elements to deinterlace the footage. I've rendered and exported a few hours of video in 720p with no issues, and rendered this footage as 1080i with no issues either. The problem only exists when deinterlacing and specifically, about 2% of the way through rendering the footage.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

Please answer SG's questions. But, I have like to have more details on what you have already written in response to his questions.

Especially when you wrote:

I can export everything incredibly easily with no hangups when I don't ask Premiere Elements to deinterlace the footage.

But, just how are you doing that. For instance, do you have your 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second on the Timeline of a project set up for NTSC AVCHD AVCHD Full 1080i30. Next, assuming that by "deinterlace" you mean exporting that Timeline to 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, are you using:

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

and under the Advanced Button/Video Tab

export.JPG

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...A just in case note, so please excuse if you already know, your 1920 x 1080i60 or 1080i59.94 appears to be not in frames but in fields per seconds.

So your source is either 1920 x 1080 @ 30 interlaced frames per second (aka 60 fields per second) or 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (aks 59.94 fields per second). So, your project preset would be NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

Thanks A.T.,

To answer the question more fully, when I successfully exported I exported a 720p video at 59.94 using the MP4 - 720p 60. In that sense, this action was essentially file compression from an uncompressed .AVI to .MP4. In regards to exporting the interlaced content at 59.94 fields, even exporting the footage using M2T - H264 1920x1080i 30 and ot will not export either (All of these presets being under Publish+Share, Computer AVCHD) .

The ultimate goal would be to be able to export using the MP4 - H264 1920x1080p 30 preset.

And while I didn't specify the difference between fields and frames earlier, I am aware but thank you for pointing it out just in case or for later readers.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

Thanks for the follow up.

As per your details, we know that your Timeline footage is characterized by 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 or 30 interlaced frames per second.

But, what are the properties of what you have on the Timeline interlaced content which is destined for the 1080p30 export, in terms of,

video and audio compression and file extension and duration?

When you are comparing the successes (720p60 and 1080i exports with the 1080p30 export), please confirm the comparative duration and file size and video audio codecs if any differences).

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                    Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

A.T.

The original footage is 1920x1080i @ 29.97 AVI Motion JPEG as shown using Blackmagic's recording software. The 720p content was recorded in the same format.

Both video files were approximately 20 minutes in length, and around 10~15GB with the 1080i footage being larger due to the higher resolution. All codecs were exactly the same; both when recording and when exporting (MP4 H.264 with AAC audio).

Thanks

Phil

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Oh, it's MJPEG footage! That's likely at the root of the cause.

I see that AT Romano has taken over this thread, however, so I will let him continue to work out a solution for you.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

Thanks for that important follow up information.

MotionJPEG.avi is often a problematic footage for Premiere Elements to handle. And, I have not run into a 1920 x 1080 MotionJPEG.avi interlaced or not at that. Lower resolution, sure.

My only negative encounters with this have been on importing, not exporting the MotionJPEG.avi source. So your results bring up a possible new glitch to the classic MotionJPEG.avi Premiere Elements interplay.

I am going to do some test runs, simulating what you are trying to accomplish, namely 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second MotionJPEG.avi exported to 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second AVCHD.mp4, and observe the results in my Premiere Elements 11 running on Windows 7 64 bit.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                          Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

Thanks guys,

To test your ideas I've begun to record some footage as .AVI 8-bit YUV. While it's a much larger file size, I'm interested to see the results.

Also, if this helps, the 720p footage I spoke of earlier and have successfully exported with was also Motion JPG, so I'd be interested why the higher resolution causes issues.

Thanks for the help and I'm interested to hear back.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Not taking over, just trying supplementing while you were away as indicated

Please answer SG's questions. But, I have like to have more details on what you have already written in response to his questions.

Now that Phil_Pappadakes has brought MotionJPEG.avi into the equation, have you ever run into a 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second MotionJPEG.avi in all your experiences with Premiere Elements...especially on the exporting side of things?

As I have indicated in my prior response to Phil_Pappadakes, I am going to try to simulate the results described and see what happens unless you have been there and done that..

This will be an interesting variation in the MotionJPEG Premiere Elemens interplay if this type of issue can be confirmed, going from troubleshooting idea to reality.

Looking forward to outcome.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

One quick question, please - is it safe to assume that you have the full Black Magic Intensity CODEC pack installed, along with the card?

I only recall one thread, in the last few years, involving a BM Intensity and PrE, and think that the user in that thread was having problems, but think that it was regarding PrE (do not recall the version) recognizing the BM card. I do not recall the exact problems, but do not think that they were with the files, created by the card, but with the card itself. I will see if I can locate that thread, just in case it has something useful for your situation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

Thanks Bill,

I've never heard of a pack specific to codecs; however, I've installed all the software from the installation disc as well as update to the software that Blackmagic provides on its website.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

Good news and bad news. All my simulations of your issue worked. However, the simulations were not 100% since I used a .mov instead of an .avi file and I was not using video from your specific source.

What I did was to create two 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second video files as MotionJPEG.mov, using Premiere Elements 11 Windows. (No way to create MotionJPEG.avi with my Premiere Elements 11 Windows set up.) One used as video codec MotionJPEG A. The other used video codec MotionJPEG B.

Then each was imported into a new Premiere Elements project as 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second as this MotionJPEG.mov file.

Next each was exported from Premiere Elements 11 as AVCHD.mp4, using Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080i30.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I would anticipate that the BM software would install the BM CODEC pack. I have that CODEC pack, because an old client had a BM card, and I needed to edit his footage in PrPro. In my case, I downloaded and installed that CODEC pack (in general, I am not a fan of CODEC "packs." in general, but trust BM). I never used PrE with those files, so have zero experience with it as an editor of BM material.

Also, there were more PrE and BM threads, than I remembered, but do not think that any of them will have any useful info for your situation. Still, here are the ones that I found:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4263010#4263010

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3323278#3323278

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3045463#3045463

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2725865#2725865

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1760012#1760012

Wish that I had more to offer, and hope that SG and ART (or others) can find resolution for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                      Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

Interesting new twist.

The Blackmagic Intensity Pro can only record with MJPEG so I couldn't figure a way to work into A.T.'s solution (if there's a way I failed to understand please tell me). However, I decided to record just a few minutes of footage using the same settings I had used earlier and Premiere Elements actually got through ~35% of the video when I had it render out the deinterlacing. While it still failed, considering it got noticeably farther than before, I wonder if there's another issue at work considereing A.T. got MJPEG to work when used as a .mov and I've used MJPEG.avi to be successful at 720p.

Thoughts?

PS: The AVI 8-bit YUV did work, but since we've narrowed down the problem to the MJPEG (most likely), I am not surprised.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

What is the file size and duration of the MotionJPEG.avi (1920 x 1080 interlaced) that is failing as the Premiere Elements 11 Windows AVCHD.mp4 (1920 x 1080 progressive)? By comparison, what was the file size and duration of that file type that did get further along in the export to AVCHD.mp4 (1920 x 1080 progressive)?

Please remind us

a. What is your computer operating system...Windows 7 or 8 64 bit or other?

b. How much installed RAM?

c. How much free hard drive space, especially as it relates to the location for the Scratch Disks files?

Not sure yet how this is going to turn out, but, if you went conversion, would MPEG Streamclip work into your plans to convert the MotionJPEG.avi to something else which we can define later.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of thoughts, that may, or may not come into play:

MJPEG takes some CPU horsepower to process - less than WMV, or H.264 (in general), but still a fair amount. Heat can build up, and can cause an issue, plus an underpowered CPU can just choke and shut down.

MJPEG compresses the material, but the files are still pretty large. If there is inadequate free-space on the HDD's, that can cause an issue. Also, as there is a fair amount of I/O (Input/Output) activity, if the connection to the HDD is slow, that can cause a bottleneck, such as going to a USB 2.0, or FireWire-400 (IEEE-1394a).

Also, back to the I/O, if one has real-time, active anti-virus, or anti-malware programs running, those can "lock" the files, causing issues. I recommend turning those off, while editing.

Just throwing out some possibilities, however small.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                            Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

Thanks guys,

The original file that went for a mere 2% was about 20 minutes and about 5-6GBs. The file that went farther was about 3-5 minutes and about 300MBs.

a. I'm using Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

b. 8GB of RAM (1600MHz)

c. 180GBs of free, SSD space

d. I run a i7-4770K

And I'd be willing to convert before hand with StreamClip.

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Thank you for that info. I do not see anything amiss there.

What is your CPU?

I think that you have shot down my thoughts above though. As I said, I was just throwing out ideas, to see if there was a bottleneck somewhere.

Good luck, and will wait to see what SG and ATR have to offer. While I will keep thinking, I believe that I am pretty much out of ideas now.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

I am going to do some road testing with MPEG Streamclip to give you some suggested settings for using that to convert the MotionJPEG.avi to something else.

More later today. To sync time, it is about 3:17 pm.

ATR

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                  Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

Sorry for such a late reply, but working second shift and all.

Interested to hear your findings on StreamClip as I've yet to install it.

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

I have not gotten to MPEG Streamclip yet. Probably will get that done by tomorrow morning. It is almost midnight where I am.

Setting up of the MPEG Streamclip needs some decision making.

a. MPEG Streamclip download + QuickTime Alternative 1.81 which comes with the free MPEG2 Playback Component (but you have to uninstall the regular QuickTime from your computer...but Premiere Elements can use the QuickTime Alternative 1.81 for its requirement)

b. MPEG Streamclip download + keep your regular QuickTime but then you have to purchase the MPEG2 Playback Component from Apple.

I went the "a" route.

To be continued...

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                      nealeh Level 5

ffdshow also includes a free MPEG2 decoder and instructions for setting it up are on the HDVSplit webpage at http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm. That may allow the original QuickTime to be retained.

Cheers,
                                                      --
                                                      Neale
                                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

Just finished an initial road test for converting my MotionJPEG.mov to H.264.mp4 using MPEG Streamclip. Mission accomplished successfully. Here is how.

MPEG Streamclip and QuickTime Alternative 1.81 from link already provided. (No regular QuickTime on this computer wich was Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit...used it since it was already installed there...is supposed to work in Windows 7 and 8 as well.)

File Menu/Open/  MotionJPEG.mov

File Menu/Export to MPEG-4

Compression: H.264 Encoder

Sound MPEG-4 Stereo Auto 256 kbps

Frame size: 1920 x 1080 (16:9)

Frame rate: 29.97 frames per second

IMPORTANT: check mark next to Deinterlace Video

If you want to control the fize size, put a check mark next to Limit Data Rate and type in your own Data Rate (aka Bitrate), units are Mbps (megabits per second). It would appear that Premiere Elements 11 export MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30 uses Target Bitrate = 32 Mbps and Maximum Bitrate = 40 Mbps. As a first run, I left this option without a check mark next to it.

The MediaInfo properties readout for the resulting H.264.mp4 confirms the results, including codec identification of avc1 and the 1080p30.

Please review and then let us know how that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                          Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

Thanks A.T.

I have a feeling this could be a work around to my problem, so thank you very much.

When using your exact settings, it successfully exports the file and deinterlaces it successfully; however, it constantly crops the image so only half the video is the original video, the bottom half being black. I'm sure I'm missing something, if you have any ideas I'd be incredibly appreciative.

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

Since we have been talking about .mp4 and .avi files, I am not sure how this might have entered the situation, but....are .wmv files involved in any way when you report

however, it constantly crops the image so only half the video is the original video, the bottom half being black.

If that is the case, please check the following announcement at the top of this forum. This all involves 1/2 wmv display related to a recent Windows Update kb.

Announcement: Windows Update Causes Half of Display to Be Blacked Out

MicroSoft has issued an Update for Windows, that is causing problems with Displays. The following is from Talbot McInnis, who tracked down this problem, and offers a fix:

"MS bulliten MS13-057.  Specifically, on XP kb2834904 and on windows 7 kb2803821 is causing a problem

For us, it occurs when decoding WMV9 files.  Not all uses of WMV decoding are affected, but I confirmed that when connecting the WMV decode DLL to a sample grabber for RGB32 video, the frames arrive black on top, so that points directly to decoding internals of the WMV Decode dll.

You can uninstall these windows updates to resolve your problem."

There are several threads on the problem that this Update is causing on the PrE and PrPro Forums, so one can get more details. So far, there is not another fix from either MS, or Adobe.

Also, see this Adobe KB Article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/wmv-files-corrupted-import-or.h tml

by Bill Hunt (Aug 2, 2013)

If the Windows Update kb is not the problem, I will post a screenshot of my MPEG Streamclip settings which were specific to "Export to MPEG-4.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                              Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

A.T.

I'm not using any .wmv files so I'm skeptical that that is the issue. More specifically, the image isn't cut off, it's cropped to essentially 16:4.5, with the bottom 4.5 being blacked out, if this makes any sense whatsoever. The full image is present, just cropped. These are the settings I'm using in StreamClip:

Screenshot (1).png

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

Please check out the following and if this does not help, I will head to my MPEG Streamclip to see if I can figure out what is happening in your case.

Please remove the check marks after

Interlaced Scaling

and

Reinterlace Chroma

The only check mark should be for Deinterlace Video.

We will be watching for the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                                  Phil_Pappadakes Level 1

Thanks guys.

So after trying to fiddle with StreamClip some more to now resolve, I went and downloaded Handbrake to function in a similar service. Upon using Handbrake to convert to .mp4, the full image was present and it was now a full 1080p @ 29.97 video, which was my intent. I was able to then import, edit, and export in Elements easily and the quality was still very high.

I can't thank you guys enough for helping me problem solve my way around this issue as well as teach me more about Premiere Elements 11 in the process. And as my first experience on the Adobe forums, it was a wonderful experience to find helpful people.

Thanks a lot,

Phil

• 30. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Stops Working When Deinterlacing Footage
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil_Pappadakes

Thanks for the follow up. Glad that you resolved your issue, using Handbrake as the tool of choice.

I am not sure why you ran into the problems that you described for MPEG Streamclip. I did not see them in my mini test run models here.

We could explore the whys for that but I suspect that you prefer to move forward since you have attained your goal. But, if you ever want to revisit the whys for MPEG Streamclip, please let me know and I will work away on it.

Continuing success and thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR