7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 8:23 AM by Fritschy

formatting in automatic page footer

Fritschy

Excuse me if I'm using wrong terms in my question, I have a Dutch version of InDesign 6, and am not always sure of the translation in English.

I regularly have the following problem. In books, I want the chapter titles to appear automatically in the page footer. So I define a text variable on paragraph level, using the style for chapter titles, and put that in the page footer.

Sometimes I want the text in the footer to appear in small caps, and sometimes in an old font where real small caps are in a separate font. (No, I don't want to spend a lot of money to replace these fonts just because of this problem.) So for the page footers I make a paragraph style in the small cap font.

The problem is, in fonts like these the figures can be in table style (the old style figures are in the regular version of the font). That's not what I like.

I thought I could handle this problem by defining a GREP style (all figures getting a text style in the regular font version), but that didn't work (and I can more or less understand why).

Of course there are reasonable workarounds (I have used them), but does anyone have a smart idea how to solve this with automatic settings?

• 1. Re: formatting in automatic page footer
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure I really understand the question, but maybe it will will help you if you understand that as far as ID is concerned your variable is a single character so it is impossible to have multiple formats within the variable text unless you use multiple variables.

Depending on the text itself, it is sometimes possible to assign character styles to different parts of the paragraph that you want to use in your running header/footer, then to use two or more Running Header (Character Style) variables to build the header/footer itself. These character styles don't need to actually do anything -- they can be completely blank except for having unique names so that they don't affect the actual formatting of the paragraph in which they appear.

• 2. Re: formatting in automatic page footer
            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign 6? Does that mean InDesign CS6 or InDesign version 6 ( =

InDesign CS4)?

If you have InDesign CS6, you can try creating a "composite font". If

you have the ME version, it's built into the type menu (Type>Composite

Font). If not, I vaguely recall the Marc Autret has a script that lets

you access composite font functionality.

With a composite font, you can designate your Expert font (small caps)

as the base font, and point it to the other font for the figures. Then,

for your running headers, choose the new composite font.

This should work. I recall that I answered a similar question a few

weeks ago -- perhaps do a forum search for "Composite fonts" for more

precise instructions.

Ariel

• 3. Re: formatting in automatic page footer
              Fritschy Level 1

Thanks Peter,

"your variable is a single character so it is impossible to have multiple formats": I already thought it was something like this.

About your possible solution: that would work if the figures are on a fixed place. I'll give an example of what I meant. Compare the 150 in the chapter title with the page footer. In any other chapter title figures could appear in different positions.

footer.jpg

• 4. Re: formatting in automatic page footer
                Fritschy Level 1

Ariel, thank you for your reaction.

However, your solution scares me a bit. Marc Autret writes his script is a kind of hack into InDesign and warns it should be used with caution. That's not for me. For a small problem I don't want to run the risk my print shop gets a pdf it can't handle, or worse, will handle incorrectly - with all the problems with my customer that would give.

But if there are any happy 'guinea pigs' out there, I would like to hear from them!

• 5. Re: formatting in automatic page footer
                  TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Fritschy,

In the ME version of InDesign CS6 (that's the version that supports

right-to-left text flow), as well as in the Japanese versions (as far as

I understand), the composite font feature is built into the user

interface. It's an official part of InDesign.

In the non-ME versions, Adobe did not expose it in the UI simply, I

imagine, so as not to overwhelm customers who would have little need of

the feature (but they probably didn't think of cases like yours).

However, although they didn't expose it in the UI, they did expose it in

the scripting DOM. So, through scripting, all the features are

available. What Marc did, I'm guessing (I haven't actually had the

opportunity to check out his script), is simply provide a UI for non-ME

users via scripting.

So -- if you can get it to work, it should be perfectly safe.

Nevertheless, if you prefer not to risk it, that's fine. I won't take it

personally.

Ariel

• 6. Re: formatting in automatic page footer
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

While I think in this case the compound font is probably the way to go, you could use three variables -- one for text in front of the number, one for the number, and one for text after. If one of those categories is missing it will just be ignored in the footer -- the variable itself has no width that I can discern.

• 7. Re: formatting in automatic page footer
                      Fritschy Level 1

This is the trick I was looking for!

Works excellent with one group of figures in the chapter title, but with two groups of figures you can just add two more variables, et cetera.

Thanks very much!