4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 12:14 PM by Navarro Parker

Can I do skin retouching on my videos with AE?

Cbethan01

If so, which is the best video tutorial for AE beginers, I have used Photoshop for years but have never done video retouching.

Thank you

Suzy

• 1. Re: Can I do skin retouching on my videos with AE?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I doubt you will find specific tutorials since it mostly involves generic techniques or using specialized plug-ins. Anyway, without knowing how to deal with masks, effects, tracking and possibly paint tools in AE you won't get anywhere, so start watching a few basic tutorials on that stuff. Once you know some basic tools and techniques, things will eventually make sense and you will be able to figure out the best workflow for you...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can I do skin retouching on my videos with AE?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with Mylenium about getting a solid foundation in AE first. Here's a great place to start. There are plugins like Beauty Box that you can get to help you out, but a basic understanding of AE is still necessary.

• 3. Re: Can I do skin retouching on my videos with AE?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Also, since you already know how to do this kind of work in Photoshop, you can get more specific answers by asking how to accomplish specific tasks in After Effects that you have done before in Photoshop.

• 4. Re: Can I do skin retouching on my videos with AE?
                Navarro Parker Level 3

Usually frame-by-frame video retouching is tedious work. Companies like Lola VFX have made an industry out of so-called "vanity plates" taking out wrinkles and crinkles from your favorite Hollywood actors.

You can apply skin softening plug-ins like Digital Anarchy Beauty Box or RE:vision Smooth Kit. You can also have a go using AE's built-in Bilateral Blur.

But to achieve optimal results, use a light hand and only apply to masked areas that need correction. Mocha is good for tracking and rotoscoping specific areas of the face that need adjustment.

But as the other pros say, it's very important to have a good foundation (no pun intended) of After Effects basics under your belt before you try something advanced.