9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 8:44 AM by Salah Fadlabi

Setting text styles to frames

eliverrang Level 1

Is it possible to set paragraph and character styles to frames rather than the text?

• 1. Re: Setting text styles to frames
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, but not in the way that might often precipitate this question. Try it. Select an unthreaded text frame and click a paragraph style. It works.

But usually, what people want out of this is to assign differing styles to threaded frames, hoping that as text flows from frame A to frame B it takes on the style assigned to frame B, regardless of its styling in frame A. That won't work. In fact, as far as I can tell, you can't apply a style to text in threaded frames at all without making a text selection.

• 2. Re: Setting text styles to frames
            eliverrang Level 1

I"m afraid this is the problem: I have a threaded text that is a dialogue where the different speakers need to have different colors and justifications. If I add text it completely changes all the styles as the text threads through to new frames. So how can I disconnect all the frames from the threading?

• 3. Re: Setting text styles to frames

It sounds as though you're claiming the opposite of my answer:

If I add text it completely changes all the styles as the text threads through to new frames.

The action of text flowing through threaded frames cannot result in changing styles. I suspect it's a different problem. Did you build the layout, or inherit it?

• 4. Re: Setting text styles to frames
                eliverrang Level 1

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The problem is that the text doesn't change styles as it flows from one text frame (dialog box) to another. I need it to - i.e., one voice is in blue and another is black.

• 5. Re: Setting text styles to frames

Okay, well even if you could set up the flow-through frame-applied styling you envision, I'm not sure how you'd always ensure the frames catch the correct text anyway. If there are only two characters in the dialog, this can easily be set up using the Next Style feature.

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Setting text styles to frames
                    eliverrang Level 1

Thank you John. I hadn't been aware of this feature. I'll try this "NextStyle" feature out

• 7. Re: Setting text styles to frames
                      Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I have a lot of thoughts on this.

First, what is the layout of your conversations? Are the conversations separated but NOT horizontally overlapping as in illustration 1?

Untitled-6.jpg

Or do they have any portion that is side-by-side as in illustration 2?

Untitled-6b.jpg

If #1, you can do what you want with indents that are controlled by paragraph styles.

Next, if #2, but each person speaks ONLY one paragraph worth of conversation, you don't need to separate the text threads. Just try what John Messinger suggested with Next Styles. You select all the thread text and apply the first style with its Next Style. It's a little tricky to apply the paragraph style with the Next Style attached.

Once you create the two styles, select all the text and right-click on the name of the style that starts the sequence. You'll see the listing for "Apply [name of style], then Next Style.

That'll do it

• 8. Re: Setting text styles to frames
                        eliverrang Level 1

Thank you Sandee. I'm new to InDesign so I'm experimenting with ways to create a simulated twitter or facebook conversation in order to explain technical concepts (in the form of dialogues). Currently, I'm using snippets consisting of a facial image alongside a dialogue box. I have a left and a right, image and text frame set. What I'm trying to do is to be able to compose in a text editor and transfer to Indesign so that the text spreads through the text frames a paragraph at a time. This works fine until I try to edit in InDesign.

However, I shall now try to use John's NextStyle method and play around with some ideas based upon your suggested layouts

• 9. Re: Setting text styles to frames
                          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Add to suggestions from John Messinger & Sandee Cohin, if you want each paragraph to stay on it's own frame you can use Keep Options>Start Paragraph: In Next Frame