5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 12:07 PM by A.T. Romano

Read past threads, Premiere 11 still won't open

mediaseth

My system (simple version)

Core i7

16gb RAM

NVIDIA Geforce 560 2gb dedicated video ram - just updated drivers

I always update my quicktime/itunes

I purchased/downloaded the product from Amazon.

Install went smoothly, rebooted (note: every time I reboot win8 thinks it has crashed due to some applecharger.sys paging error or whathaveyou. I'm ready to disassociate with all things apple in the near future, but how do I do that when Premiere needs QT?)

I go to open for the first time. I can choose between organizing pictures (why would I want to - they already are organized MY WAY) or opening the editor.  I select the editor, nothing happens. I reboot. I open Premiere. Nothing happes. I read these forums. I open it as admin. Nothing happens.

I have a pretty bare bones system, software-wise. If it's installed, it's because I need it, generally, except for the extra nonsense that comes with having iTunes -but I kind of need that, and QT.

If Premiere 11 is truely not compatible because of VST's (I'm an audacity user) etc., then I will be forced to get my money back. I really need this to work, though. I hate Sony Vegas. That's why.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Read past threads, Premiere 11 still won't open
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, Movie Studio is a terrific program too. I know because I've written how-to books for both programs!

Anyway, here's the first thing I'd try.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/542377?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Read past threads, Premiere 11 still won't open
            mediaseth Level 1

Thanks for the quick response, Steve. However, it hasn't successfully updated once, and it did accept my key, provided by adobe, when I entered it. There is no error message to speak of, either. The icon indicates it's opening, then nothing happens - as though I had never clicked on it.

• 3. Re: Read past threads, Premiere 11 still won't open
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mediaseth

If you and SG go the full route of troubleshooting and your issue is defying resolution, then you might want to contact Adobe direct while you are still in the 30 day money back period. I think that your answer resides in removal of the applecharger.sys, but I have not been there and done that.

I have found the following Adobe link very helpful in what I am suggesting

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=using-my-product-or-se rvice

On the page that opens, I would select "Using my product and service" and then click on "I still need help" to get the Adobe Chat pop up.

Adobe Chat can help you resolve this issue or give you a referral to an Adobe department that can or make arrangements to get your money back for the product.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Read past threads, Premiere 11 still won't open
                mediaseth Level 1

I ended up doing that. Over an hour later, he figured out that the avi exporter plugin was the source. He took it out of the folder. Beyond that, it took a reinstall and reauthorization of the product to not encounter an error when importing mpeg media. It does mis-interpret the aspect radio of ntsc standard def widescreen files, which is a dissapointment. On exporting with custom settings, there is an un-usual black box - much thinner than a letter box - around those files. My other freebie software detects these .mod (mpeg) files from my camera just fine, so while I understand this is the Elements version of the software, it ought to be able to do correctly what a simple free converter does without fuss.

I'm on the fence still, about a refund. I know I'm picky. I use an old version of FCE on a circa 2008 imac and it's smoother.

• 5. Re: Read past threads, Premiere 11 still won't open
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mediaseth

Great news. Good information to put into the troubleshooting knowledge base.

You should have mentioned the .mod widescreen files sooner, but wilh all else going on good that you mention it now.

Mod.widescreen and its 16:9 flag recognition have always been an issue with Premiere Elements. The workaround is:

a. Use the NTSC or PAL DV Widescreen project preset

b. Once the mod.widescreen is imported, right click its thumbnail in Project Assets, select Interpret Footage, go to the Interpret Footage Pixel Aspect Ratio section, select Conform to, and change it to

D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)

or

D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587)

In the workspace, if any thin black borders remain, then scale them away for the highlighted clip, using Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and its Scale property. You could also just click on the screen and use the bounding box handle for the scale.

Please review and let us know if any of that worked for you.

Thanks and continuing success.

ATR