4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 2:55 AM by Tom Johnstone

How can I force a paragraph style without losing italic?

Tom Johnstone Level 1

This has been annoying me for ages. I work on documents in Word, applying italic to book titles etc, and then import into indesign. I apply a paragraph style and three times out of four the bits of italic are preserved. However, the fourth time the paragraph style doesn't take (probably because of the presence of italic) and I have to force it to do so by using Alt-click. Invariably the italic is then replaced by roman.

It's happening just now with a whole lot of footnotes and endnotes in a book I'm working on and means I have to go back through them all, manually applying italic to my book titles and references. Is there any way to force an endnote/footnote paragraph style without losing the italic text?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Tom.

• 1. Re: How can I force a paragraph style without losing italic?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Word import, especially things like footnotes, can be flakey, and those who do it all the time seem to think it gets worse with each new version of ID.

One thing that would probably help is to use character styles to apply the special formatting in Word rather than jsut selecting text and hitting the italic button. Applied Character styles are not considered overrides to a paragraph style and should be preserved in ID when reasserting the paragraph formatting.

• 2. Re: How can I force a paragraph style without losing italic?
            Tom Johnstone Level 1

Thanks, Peter, this is useful. It requires a degree of forward planning for which I'm not noted but I will try it where appropriate!

The downside is that if the italic is already there in the Word file, I will have a lot of work going over and applying styles (in Word or Indesign) to what the author has given me anyway.

• 3. Re: How can I force a paragraph style without losing italic?
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure that forward planning is so necessary here.

If your only concern is losing italics when importing from Word, create,

in InDesign, an italic character style. Then do a search and replace

throughout the InDesign document (after you've placed the Word file)

searching for italics formatting, and replacing with your italics

character style.

That will prevent you from losing your italics formatting.

Repeat for bold, bold italics, superscript, subscript, and anything else

the author uses.

There are some scripts that help in this process (I think one of them is

called "preptext", by Jongware).

If you want a comprehensive solution that can find every type of

formatting override and creates and applies the appropriate character

style, check out my "Create Character Styles from Overrides" script,

available under the scripting tab on freelancebookdesign.com.

Ariel

• 4. Re: How can I force a paragraph style without losing italic?
                Tom Johnstone Level 1

Many thanks, Ariel, that is brilliantly simple and effective -- I have just tried it and it works beautifully. I have been manually replacing italic in paragraphs for years and grumbling about it, your solution is a great leap forward! Much appreciated.

Tom.