2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 3:26 PM by Kranex1

looking for cost-effective and good performance configuration for video editing in Premiere Pro CS6

seaspray07

Hello,

I am looking to assemble a cost-efficient and good performance setup of HDD/SSDs for video editing using Premiere Pro CS6.  I am not looking to use RAID.   The source files are AVCHD files and the final product will be burned to Blu-ray.  This for general home videos, and not for professional work.   I would appreciate any suggestions for the best placement of HDD/SSDs.  I would prefer to use at most a total of 4 storage drives (SSDs and HDDs).

The hardware I have is as follows:

Motherboard:  Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe

Processor:  Core i7-3770K

Graphics Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC

RAM:  16 GB DDR3

SSD:  Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB

HDD:  WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM SATA III

Power Supply:  Corsair AX860i

Optical drives:  DVD+RW (1), BD-R (1)

SATA ports are listed below:

Gray SATA ports are Intel PCH 6Gb/s controllers #1 on bottom, #2 on top.

Blue SATA ports are Intel PCH 3Gb/s controllers #3 on bottom, #4 on top, #5 on bottom, #6 on top.

Navy SATA ports are Marvell 6Gb/s separate chip controller #7 on bottom, #8 on top.

My questions are:

1)  What should I use for the preview and scratch files, as well as for the projects, HDD or SSD?

2)  I have the SSD (OS and programs)  and 2TB HDD (data files and media files) occupying the Intel 6Gb/s controllers.  Which other drives (HDD or SSD) should I use for scratch, cache, and preview files, and which ports should these go on.

3)  What is the best way to utilize the Intel 3 Gb/s ports (4 total) and the Marvell 6b/s ports (2 total) for the video editing hardware configuration?

Thanks for your help.