7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 1:09 PM by Joel Cherney

Is there a way to set a default pasted text frame size?

Early Music Lover Level 1

I am on a Mac in InDesign CS3. I am pasting text after text after text (I'll be pasting at least 100, one at a time - the only way to do it), and would like each frame to be 4 inches by .2 inches without having to manually set each one. I've tried to set an object style, but can't find the frame size as an option. Does anyone have any ideas? If not the object style, might there be a preference setting? Or does InDesign have macros? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to set a default pasted text frame size?
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Why you put your text frame(s) on a master page and select all pages that apply master to it, mouse right click Override All Master Pages Items

• 2. Re: Is there a way to set a default pasted text frame size?

Every frame will have different text in it, and be placed in different places on about 150 pages. Would that work for what you are suggesting?

• 3. Re: Is there a way to set a default pasted text frame size?
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

^Right.

Set a text frame of the desired size on a master and override all as told above. With type tool: click, paste, repeat.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to set a default pasted text frame size?
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Early Music Lover wrote:

Every frame will have different text in it, and be placed in different places on about 150 pages.

Yes well, you'll still have to do the pasting and positioning.

• 5. Re: Is there a way to set a default pasted text frame size?
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are ways to automate this kind of stuff - usually by writing some Javascript (or Visual Basic or Applescript). There's a whole forum devoted to scripting InDesign, actually, and it may be useful for you to ask over there.

That being said, I know you said that pasting is "the only way to do it" but I'd like to hear more about what you're trying to do. As the proud owner of a tattered t-shirt that proclaims that I am the "Fastest Ctrl-C, Alt-Tab, Ctrl-V In The West" I'd like to know why it's the only way to do it. That might affect our suggestions for you.

• 6. Re: Is there a way to set a default pasted text frame size?

My task is to print out the entire company website, scan it as a pdf, put it into InDesign, and label each link and each image with the URL. I have done the first 3 parts - not too bad. It is the copying and pasting every single URL from every page and link, and every location of every single image that is why I posted this question. From your answers, I had an idea. I made one text box the correct size and put xxx in it. I am pasting that everywhere I need to put a link. Then I can just just copy and paste into the correct size text box. And when I'm done, I can search for xxx to see if I missed any. And I don't need to be sure I don't leave a stray one from the Master page on any of the 154 pages I'm working on. Does this help give you any ideas how I can streamline this? I hope it is clear what I am trying to do. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Is there a way to set a default pasted text frame size?
                      Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, you've already figured out one way to reduce your workload - by pasting into frames, instead of pasting frames. If you need a frame to be in the same place every time, you can load up your triple-x placeholder onto your clipboard and use Paste In Place, which is alt+shift+control+v over here on my Windows keyboard.

Most of my streamlining ideas would have relied on using some tool to make your source less, um, bad. I have no idea why you had to print out hardcopy & scan to PDF when you could have simply made PDFs out of your browser. I dunno why you had to have PDFs in the first place - I would have used a tool to automatically download an entire copy of the site, and then I would have used a command-line tool to bash that data into shape so I could put it into a spreadsheet and do a Data Merge. Or any one of a number of similar workflows that involve automating the heavy lifting. 

However, in the position you're in now, it seems like all you have to do (all! ha!) is get the URLs into InDesign. Try this: go to an image that you need to get the URL for, and then drag the image out of your browser into InDesign. What I get over here is the URL for the image, as text. That may save you some keystrokes, at least on the images.