9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 10:15 AM by EricaPolites

merging multiple files into one PDF

EricaPolites

i am publishing a book with 102 pages. i need to combine each page into one PDF for the printer. i know it can be done, just don't know how. i'm halfway through indesign for dummies, i know an earlier version, but i'm working in cs 5.5. thank you!

• 1. Re: merging multiple files into one PDF
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

File > Export.. and from the Type dropdown choose PDF (Print). When you get to the options, make sure you select "All" pages and you'l get a single PDF file with inidividual pages, exactly what the printer wants.

The trick is to use the correct settings for image downsampling and compression and for color management, though, so you need to know what the printer wants for those things too. Many printers will have eithe a custom .joboptions file you can load and use, or a set of specs or recommended settings. If they have a .joboptions file for you you can load it, then just use File > Adobe PDF Presets > and choose the custom settings so you don't need to do any setup yourself, or you can choose the custom preset from the dropdown in the exprot dialog.

The only thing that's rteally changed with PDF export is that there are now two types to choose from, PDF (Interactive), which is the default until you change it in the dialog, and PDF (Print) which is essentially waht you are used to from your previous version.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: merging multiple files into one PDF
            EricaPolites Level 1

that makes  sense, but how do i get ALL 102 pages sequencial into one PDF. how do i select them all if they're in indesign.

also, the printer doesn't have any specifications other than to flatten everything. do you have any suggestions on how to get the best, sharpest and widest range of colors in photographic content? obviously everything has to be cmyk.

• 3. Re: merging multiple files into one PDF
              MarcMcDuffie

Do you have them in an InDesign Book?  Or just multiple documents at this point?  If they are in a Book you just go to the Book Menu and with all of the pages (in the Book Menu) selected, Export as PDF.

• 4. Re: merging multiple files into one PDF

It's automatic. Exporting all the pages is the default condition in the export dialog, so you only need to check that it's not been changed to a specific range (it's a radio button, same as always), and you don't need to do any selection of pages in ID itself. They will automatically be in consecutive order in the PDF.

If the printer want's a flattened file that means Acrobat 4 compatible. Safest bet for this kind of printer would be to select the PDF/X-1a preset.

• 5. Re: merging multiple files into one PDF
                  EricaPolites Level 1

okay i made two files - individual and then added them to the indesign book. so i select both those files (inside the book) and export? i'm trying to do a test run so i know what to do when my 102 pages is actually ready. okay i'll try the two pages and see what happens. of course i'll write back if i still have trouble! LOL

thank you guys for sticking with me

• 6. Re: merging multiple files into one PDF

You don't need a Book unless your pages were spread out over more than one file. If you have one file with 102 pages all you need to do is export that to PDF normally.

It's also quite easy to combine multiple PDF files into a single file in Acrobat Pro.

• 7. Re: merging multiple files into one PDF
                      EricaPolites Level 1

i see that acrobat pro is recommended several times. i think i should purchase that to make things easier for me. will it keep the quality of my photographs, as shot?

• 8. Re: merging multiple files into one PDF

Acrobat Pro is the application you use for working with PDFs, making minor edits, combining multiple PDFs into a single file, extracting or replacing pages, doing fancier form work than ID has the ability to produce, and even creating PDF from a number of other file formats. I'm not sure your question about maintaining the quality of your photos is really applicable -- it would depend on how youare getting from the photo to PDF to begin with. The use of Acrobat in and of itself won't be the determiner.

That said, I couldn't live without Acrobat Pro in my workflow. Since you are on CS5.5 you have a couple of options. You could purchase a subscription to Creative Cloud (at a discount for the first year), which would give you access not only to Acrobat, but all of the other programs and tools included in the suite, but you pay a monthly or yearly fee, or you can buy a standalone perpetual license to either Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Standard (I didn't realize Standard was still an option, and you might not need all the features of Pro -- you can compare at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/buying-guide.html).

• 9. Re: merging multiple files into one PDF
                          EricaPolites Level 1

you know, i think i might have answered my question all along. i just looked at a step-by-step visual on how to create a PDF book in indesign. if correct, i simply drop my completed pages/files into the book, put them in the order that i want and voila! right? i think i might kick myself