21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 5:02 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view

PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

Do you ever use Premiere CC's Multi-Camera tools?  Then this FR is for you!

Please copy/paste as your own and send to https://www.adobe.com/go/wish/.  Every voice counts!

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: Separate windows for Multi-camera view and Program Monitor, with ability to tilde toggle to full screen either or both.

How would you like the feature to work?

The Multi-camera view and the Program Monitor should occupy separate, individually resizable and maximizable windows. 

Why is this feature important to you?

The way these interface elements are currently squeezed into the same window is extremely limiting as far a viewing options.  When the Multi-camera view is displayed, users can no longer do a full-screen preview of their edit, nor can they do a full screen preview of their multi-camera angles.  This is unnecessarily restrictive.  By putting the Multi-camera view in it's own window, and allowing it to be tilde maximized to full screen, users would have so much more flexibility for viewing their camera angles and their final edit while editing multi-camera sequences.

• 1. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If it was not already possible to get extremely close to this very thing, I would be behind you 100%.

I can easily stretch my program monitor panel to where the actual program monitor takes up almost all of the 1920X1080 screen on the right, and the multicam takes up almost all of the monitor on the right.

Or, I can view the program monitor on my second screen.

Can't you?

• 2. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
            DearBrianTho Level 1

Brilliant idea - especially for those of us who, for whatever reason, do most of their editing on a laptop.

• 3. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
              DA post prod Level 2

Totally agree with you : it works like that on other editing programs, there is no reason why it should be different in Premiere Pro. I'll submit the feature request right away, thanks for sharing it.

• 4. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view

Steven,

Stretching the multi-camera view/program monitor window across two monitors isn't a good work around by any stretch.

Here's why:

1. Doesn't work on a single monitor setup if you want to just maximize your camera angles full screen

2. Doesn't work properly if your two monitors don't have the same resolution and/or if they are not positioned perfectly side by side in the Windows Screen Resolution settings window.

Windows.jpg

3. Doesn't allow you to maximize one without the other

4. Doesn't allow full screen view, only maximized frame view

5. Manually stretching a window like what you suggest doesn't allow instant tilde toggling back and forth between view of camera/angles+Program Monitor and complete interface.

Hope these reasons illustrate the great need for a more flexible/logical user interface in Premiere's Multi-camera view.

DearBrianTho and Tento, thanks for adding your voices and FRs.  Every voice counts!

• 5. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Granted. I didn't take laptops into account since I seldom use my laptop for video. I bought it to use with Photoshop.

I have various workspaces designed for my side-by-side identical monitors. Have done so for many years. I can't imagine editing on one screen. Full screen? That is for the third monitor. in my case, an HDTV via HDMI output.

It isn't generally a bad idea to make the program more flexible if enough people support the concept and I highly support this method of gathering a group of like minded people to submit identical requests.

• 6. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view

Thanks Steven for your thoughts.

Full screen on a single or 2 monitor setup works well because, and only because of the brilliantly easy tilde toggle that was introduced in CS6.  Without this easy way to toggle in/out of full screen in a heartbeat, I agree that full screen would only work well with a third monitor (or at minimum on a second monitor).

• 7. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Adobe just combined them (because of feature requests).  You're not likely to get this one changed back any time soon.

• 8. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view

Hi Jim,

Any idea why anyone would have asked for the multicam view and Program monitor to be combined in the same window?  I can only see drawbacks to this, not a single advantage.  If I'm missing some hidden advantage to this, please fill me in.

I myself asked for Adobe to ditch the low quality preview window that could previously be displayed in the separate multi-cam window.  The quality was terrible so I requested that the Program monitor be used intead as a live preview while doing multicam edits.  Never did I expect Adobe would join both windows into one, thereby removing most viewing options and removing the option of full screen previews.  I imagine others sent the same request to ditch the awful preview window, but I doubt many specifically requested that these occupy the same window.  That's just bad user interface design (and in this case, not just my opinion, but an objective fact for the reasons I posted earlier).

Just because a bad judgment call is made, even at the request of some users, isn't any reason to delay improving something that would help, in this case, every single multicam editor IMO.  I like the new button to open the Multi-cam view.  It just needs to open this interface in a separate, maximizable window.

• 9. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
                          DearBrianTho Level 1

I didn't know that Adobe only just combined them. It wasn't like that in PPro 5 as far as I can remember. When we were limited to only four angles it was all tolerable but with six or more (which with PPro 6 we are encouraged to use) it makes so much sense to let us see bigger individual angles as we see fit albeit at the expense of other windows.

It would be really sad if their developers couldn't accommodate this request AND keep the single window for those who prefer it. I spent MANY years providing this sort of thing when I was programming. I always considered that a massively user-modifiable interface (I called them 'mumi' and I had a bit of a fixation...) comes with the territory, NBD.

• 10. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view

Actually, I don't see any need for keeping the single window, because the exact same result can be achiveved by placing the two separate windows side by side.  OR... what could be done is to have the Multi-cam view appear next to the Program Monitor, in the same window, by default, but have it is it's own detachable pane, so users can easily place it/size it any which way they want.

I agree with you that it would be really sad if Adobe doesn't fix this, since the benefits to two windows are so many and so clear, whereas the benefits to a single window are nonexistent AFAIK. 

• 12. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Any idea why anyone would have asked for the multicam view and Program monitor to be combined in the same window?

Because FCP does it that way.

• 13. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view

Hmmm... seems like a bad reason to request and implement something.

I've asked for Adobe to integrate several FCP features in the past, such as the join-through edits and clip dupe detection features added to CC, but only because those features would be great additions to Premiere, which they certainly are.  In every program there's good things and bad things.  Let's take the good things from FCP and leave out the bad things.

• 14. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view

Now that CC7.1 is out, Adobe, could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the seriously unhelpful limitation of the Multicam angles and Program Monitor only occupying the same window?  I have a multicam edit to do abroad on my laptop next month, and not being able to view my 3 camera angles full screen, due to the obligatory Program Monitor display in the current setup, is a huge PITA since it means my camera angles are essentially 1/4 the size they could be, and thus too small to see properly.

Of course I can undock my Muticam/Program Monitor window, stretch it to full screen and then move it so the Program Monitor is off screen, but then quickly toggling back and forth between seeing just my camera angles and seeing my whole interface including my Timeline isn't possible.

This is as clear a LOSE-LOSE situation as we've ever been given.  Please fix this and turn it into a WIN-WIN for everyone that uses Premiere Pro's Multicam editing tools.  Thanks!

• 15. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
                                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

PLEASE fix the seriously unhelpful limitation of the Multicam angles and Program Monitor only occupying the same window? 

Hi Pierre Louis,

It's supposed to work in the Source and Program monitor, not just the Program Monitor, but it appears there is a bug: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5814754#5814754

Hopefully, they'll fix it in a future version. Please file a bug report for this.

I don't see a move back to a dedicated Multicamera Window like the way it was in previous versions. There is an ongoing move to clean up the interface, and this was one of those things that was targeted. Like other changes, this appeals to some and not to others.

Feel free to request what you like, however.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 16. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure how sticking the Multi-Camera View together with the Program Monitor does anything to clean up the interface.  But supposing it does somehow, how can the person responsible for this change justify 'cleaning' the interface at the tremendous expense of functionally? 

The current design simply isn't functional as already stated:

Full screen preview can't be used for the Program Monitor and/or the Camera Angles.

The Camera Angles can't be positioned and resized independently on their own monitor.  Ditto for the Program Monitor.

How could the PP team miss this?  Sorry to be brash, but it just baffles me how an entire team of  adults can commit such an obvious gaffe.    Perhaps they need to screen their ideas past real users, users like me that think outside the box and speak up when things don't work.  For sure Adobe already does this, but it clearly isn't working, either because they're consulting the wrong people and/or they're getting the right feedback but aren't listening to it.

When I have to multicam edit on my laptop, I would LOVE to be able to display ONLY my camera angles in Full Screen.  This would make each camera angle a usable size on a 17" laptop, and leave out any and all distracting interface elements (something helpful on any size monitor).   After my initial edit is finished, I could then scale down my Multi-camera View and place it next to my Program Monitor above my Timeline to refine the edit.  The current design makes this logical approach impossible.

I was REALLY hoping to see this fixed in 7.2.  The problems with the current design are so painfully obvious to me, every single time I do multicamera editing.  IMHO, it should also be obvious to anyone that trully understand video editing.

You wrote "this appeals to some and not to others.", but for the life of me, I can't see how this change could possible appeal to anyone (other than a sadist that gets pleasure out of seeing an editor's workflow getting screwed).

• 17. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I think the issue here is that when one edits on less than ideal hardware, one has a less than ideal experience.

I'd start that ideal at a desktop with five internal drives and a 24" 1920 x 1080 monitor.  You can go up from that and make the experience better, but conversely going down from that, such as using a 17" Laptop, will understandably make the experience worse.

I'd say this is for the user to correct, not Adobe.  While Herbie was a fun series of movies, it's unrealistic to expect to win an auto race using a VW bug.

• 18. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
                                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I have always tried to have a powerful PC capable of taking advantage of everything that the software has to offer. Yes, I have 6 drives (two sets of two in a RAID0), a SSD OS drive and a "My Documents" drive. I have a relatively fast processor and 32G of RAM.

I edit with two 24" 1920X1080 monitors which I am about to upgrade to two 1920X1280 Dells on a single stand.

Even so, screen space can get tight and memory low and I have to think about disk space now and then.

The point being, if you want to edit on a laptop, you have to accept certain limitations that a desktop user does not.

On the other hand, it would not be a bad idea to have software take advantage of the screen space you have, whenever possible. So, the more flexible the window layout is, the better for everyone. If you want the features combined, great! If you want them separate, or side by side, or whatever, that should be fine too. The more options the better.

• 19. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view

Jim,

I think the issue here is people who refuse to open their mind and look outside the box.  I certainly hope the folks on the Adobe team don't have the 'we're right, it's the user that's wrong' mentalitly that you seem to have.

Jim Simon wrote:

I'd say this is for the user to correct, not Adobe.

Are you for real?  While using large monitors is preferable, and also what I do 95% of the time BTW, there are times when editing on a laptop is necessary when you work for clients abroad, such as my case right now in Brazil.

My FR is something that would benefit users in any monitor configuration, single or multiple, large or small.  If Adobe doesn't currently allow us to display our multi-camera angles in full screen, without the visual polution of the windowed interface, that's something for them to improve.  The shallowness and irrelevance of your comments once again make me question just how much you actually understand Premiere and editing in general.  To someone that understands Premiere and editing, it should be clear that non-windowed, full screen camera angles would benefit editors regardless of whether they're limited to a laptop or not.

Thankfully there's other users here who bring a voice of reason, such as Steven L. Gotz just did.

• 20. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
                                              cam3LD Level 1

I often edit multi-cam sequences that only have two source videos.

You can imagine this is annoying because the layout for multi-cam sequences is "optimized" for four source cameras.

As a result, I'm often working with a bunch of wasted screen space.

Would love:

Ability to split the program window so you can change the size of the source cameras vs the "preview monitor" (maybe as secondary panel?)

Ability to change the source cameras' layout so you can optimize for 2, 3 and 4 videos.

This would optimize screen real estate and help when you're looking for focus points.

• 21. Re: Help Improve Premiere! FR: Separate, maximizable Multi-camera view
                                                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Cam3LD,

Please create your request here.

Thanks,
                                                Kevin