8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 12:47 PM by andy jxm

PE9 why is the audio track sometimes change it appearance?

andy jxm Level 1

In the timeline of PE9 why is the audio track sometimes shown as a light grey waveform and sometimes as a solid black waveform?

I'm not talking about changing the timeline display by clicking on the speaker icon and turning it from a waveform to a solid straight black line.

What I'm referring to here is seeing the sound waveform against the green background being displayed as either a solid black waveform or a light grey waveform.

In the screen shot image attached all clips were recorded sequentially (same settings), imported into the computer at the same time and all collected from the computer file with ‘get media’ in one block, so in other words they are all taken at the same settings and none have been altered.

Despite having made no changes to any of the clips they are displayed, as you can see as either light grey or solid black audio waveforms.

In the screen shot below the first clip has a solid black waveform but there can be a complete random mix as to where the different styles of audio waveform are positioned, so it’s not always the first clip that’s different.

Question, in two parts,  A) What is the significance in the difference in the colour of the waveform and B) is there some way of controlling it?

This is not a one-off event; I see it frequently and have done with three different cameras.

Thank you for your attention.

Kind Regards ... Andy

GWØJXM

PE9 sound issue image.jpg

• 1. Re: PE9 why is the audio track sometimes change it appearance?
          nealeh Level 5

This is more a guess than an answer but I've done some playing around with different types of file and it seems that audio brought in with a video clip (I've tried mpg, mts, and DV) shows a black waveform, audio from audio files (tried with wav, m4a, and mp3) all show with light grey waveform.

Might this apply to you?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 2. Re: PE9 why is the audio track sometimes change it appearance?
            andy jxm Level 1

Hi Neal, thanks for the input, I said in the initial comment that all of the clips in the screen shot were form the same source, having looked again that’s not true, looking at the numbers on the clips they are from two different sources, so I guess I need to pay more attention to the facts.

So yep you could be right in as much as they are from a different source but I’d like to know more about it. whats the significance of the difference?

I’ve bought the Adobe Classroom in a book for PE9 and there’s nothing in the text about it, I haven’t started to play the DVD yet to see if there’s any clues there.

I do struggle with this stuff, I’ve just spent ten minutes trying to find out how to ‘Un-protect’ a photo in the new Sony handy-cam that I’ve just bought, nothing in the manual, wouldn’t it be good if they made a little video of the cameras operating features and stuck it on YouTube?  Maybe that would be asking too much.

I don’t know if I should mark this as helpful as it doesn’t fully answer the question and I still need an answer but it is helpful, if I mark it as helpful does it close the topic?

You reckon you inherit your insanity from the kids, I get mine from software. I think I should have the maxim ‘Don’t let anything with software know you’re in a hurry’

By the way,  don’t worry too much; you’ll be able to get your own back on the kids when you completely loose your marbles.

All the best.

Kind Regards ... Andy

• 3. Re: PE9 why is the audio track sometimes change it appearance?
              nealeh Level 5

Nothing ever actually 'closes' a topic on these forums unless a moderator manually locks it (and I've only seen that done in the FAQ sub-forum).

Does this help with your handycam problem? - http://www.ehow.com/how_5005544_remove-write-protection-sony-handycam.html

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 4. Re: PE9 why is the audio track sometimes change it appearance?
                andy jxm Level 1

Hi Neale  thanks for that but it relates to something different, I'm out of truble with the Sony (for now at least) thanks for the input.

Kind Regards ... Andy

• 5. Re: PE9 why is the audio track sometimes change it appearance?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy,

I just saw your new thread here in which nealeh responded to your question that you had asked me in an earlier thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5558885#5558885

It appears that we lost track of that thread while we were waiting for you to post a screenshot of your audio track situation and, when it was posted back on August 1st, it was overlooked. Sorry about that.

As in that case, if you are targeting a question/response for me and do not see my response in 24 hours, please do not hestitate to send me a private message asking "Where are you?".

But, all has ended well with nealeh post. That is the important thing.

Apologizes for not seeing your screenshot and follow up in the original thread.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE9 why is the audio track sometimes change it appearance?
                    andy jxm Level 1

Hey no worries, I figure you’re likely to be over burdened with questions so I bought the Adobe Book for PE9.

I should have done that way back when I bought the software. It hasn’t told me about the sound track issues (yet) I'm only part way though it all (haven’t played the DVD yet) but skipping through the book I couldn’t see anything relating to it so I thought I’d raise it as a separate question.

I can appreciate that the audio tracks light up with a difference in appearance for sound from different sources (don’t know why though) but I still think I’ve seen this difference in sound track (solid black vs light grey) with downloads from a single device (camera) but I’ve got to pay more attention to be sure about that as I might have invented that.

OK, so now I accept that there’s a difference, is it of any significance, is it a flag to prompt some action or is it a trigger in the grown-up version that I assume PE9 is cribbed from?

Anyway thanks for coming back to me.

Kind Regards ... Andy

By the way for anyone reading this, I’d say if you haven’t got the book it’s worth getting as I'm only part way through it and I’d say I’ve learnt how to do things a lot quicker (and more enjoyably) in a few moments of reading than I have ‘self teaching’ myself over the years.

Like they say... ‘if you think education’s expensive, try ignorance!’  

• 7. Re: PE9 why is the audio track sometimes change it appearance?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy,

Just a brief comment on Premiere Elements, Label Colors and Label Defaults.

I believe that the color distinctions that caught your attention are related to Adobe trying to help the user make a quick visual asset of what was what on the Timeline. I suspect that I key is to remember what went with what.

It is interesting to note that, prior to your version (Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1), the Premiere Elements preferences contained user selectable choices in this type of matter. In Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, 7, and 4, you can see Edit Menu/Preferences/Label Colors as well as Label Defaults included.

LabelColors.JPG

Labels.JPG

And the user could also highlight a clip on the Timeline and go about making some color changes with Edit Menu/Label.

But after Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, those preferences and options were removed.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE9 why is the audio track sometimes change it appearance?
                        andy jxm Level 1

OK, I guess I'm not missing anything then.

Thanks for all of your effort, much appreciated.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Kind regards ... Andy