5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 12:14 AM by scott_travers

After Effects CC - Export Still Frame

scott_travers

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to CC. I am trying to export still frames as a jpg from After Effects CC

CS 5.5 (and previous versions) allowed me to use the shortcut ctrl+alt+s to add the current frame to the render queue as a still frame.  I would then change the format via the output module.

The same shortcut in CC opens a dialogue box with psd as the only available output format. Composition> Save Frame As > File... also results in psd format with no other options.

Is there a simillar simple process for exporting a still frame jpg via the render queue?

Thanks in adavance

• 1. Re: After Effects CC - Export Still Frame
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Indeed. Add it to the "Just another stupid AE CC bug" list...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects CC - Export Still Frame
            scott_travers Level 1

There does seem to be some unnecessary changes.

However i have resolved this myself, if you click ok on the dialogue box and except the psd format, it adds it to the render quene where you can then change the format. No idea why there aren't any other options in the 'Save as File...' option, only PSD.

• 3. Re: After Effects CC - Export Still Frame
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sounds strange, considering how it messes when saving multiple frames. This could quickly get tiresome. I'd still consider it a bug...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: After Effects CC - Export Still Frame
                Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

scott_travers wrote:

There does seem to be some unnecessary changes.

However i have resolved this myself, if you click ok on the dialogue box and except the psd format, it adds it to the render quene where you can then change the format. No idea why there aren't any other options in the 'Save as File...' option, only PSD.

This is the expected behavior when you have never rendered a comp from a newly installed version of AE. It's worked this way since at least AE 6.5 (the oldest version I have installed on a nearby computer to compare). The output module needs to have a destination for the file, so when you invoke the Save Frame As File command for the first time it brings up the Save As dialog. For the same reason, if you were to add a comp to the Render Queue directly it won't allow you to render until you set a destination.

After the first time you create a output module with a destination, AE will remember the last-used location and use that by default without asking you. The only time you should it would ask you again is if you destroy AE's preferences or if the last-used location is no longer valid (deleted folder, disconnected drive, etc.).

The reason the only selectable format here is PSD is because that is what the default OM for Save Frame As File uses. You can, and should, change this if you always use a different format. Go to Edit > Templates > Output Module . Create a new template with your desired settings and assign it to Frame Default.

• 5. Re: After Effects CC - Export Still Frame
                  scott_travers Level 1

Thanks for the concise answer Tim,