1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 7:02 PM by Jim_Simon

Linear Compositing Mode

NickelplateSpiro Level 1

I am learning to love the look of how linear color compositing mode combines my content.  While I'm loving the results, I'm one of those people who likes to know why I get a certain result.

It seems that there is a difference between compositing over a black solid or black video versus compositing over nothing. I find that cross and film dissolves to an empty portion of timline has different results than dissolving to a black layer. There are lots of great results that I get from using the sequence setting "Composite in Linear Color."

Could someone explain how transparency and various compositing methods works in linear color mode that makes it different from the flat look I acheived FCP and when using non linear mode?  Does anyone know of a whitepaper explaining the theory and math to help me understand what I'm seeing in the linear color world?

• 1. Re: Linear Compositing Mode
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I've not seen any technical explanations put forth by Adobe on this, other than the following:

"...processing is done in a linear color space (i.e., gamma = 1.0) at 32 bits per channel (bpc), which results in more realistic results, finer gradations in color, and better results for midtones."