20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 5:32 PM by A.T. Romano

How to import audio

comhausone

Brand new user.  When I import my video file it does not include the audio.  I can get the audio to play if I run the file as a slide show  But it does  not show up in the audio track timeline section -- and it does not export.

Is there a secret?  Am I crazy?

• 1. Re: How to import audio
          A.T. Romano Level 7

comhausone

Lots of questions and answers to get to a successful conclusion. Let us start....

1. What version of Photoshop Elements and/or Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. Where is your video file coming from and what are its properties, including video and audio compression/audio channels, frame size, frame rate, aspect ratio, file size, duration, etc.? A MediaInfo properties readout for your video would be very helpful.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

3. What are you or the project setting as the project preset to match the properties of your source video?

4. What do you mean by "I can get the audio to play if I run the file as a slide show."? Where are you running this file as a slide show? Surely not in one of these Elements programs if there is nothing in the audio 1 track. Please explain.

5. Once you get the details straightened out for your import and editing of your video, how do you plan on exporting your Timeline content...to a file saved to the computer hard drive or to disc? Please detail.

You say that you are a brand new user. So, I would stress, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written. The answers to the questions are important. So, if you do not understand the questions, then please say so. I will re-write if necessary so that we are in sync on the details.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to import audio
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>import my video file

What IS your video file?

Codec & format, with 2 links inside to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588 (read both the links)

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

ADDED - Grin... ATR beat me by 3 seconds

• 3. Re: How to import audio
              comhausone Level 1

Thanks!

1) Premiere Elements 11.0

WIN7 Ultimate -- SP1

ASUS  AMD PhenomII X6 1035T Processor  2.60 GHz

8 GB RAM     64 Bit

2) AVI Recorded using Windows Import Video onto a Windows Vista Laptop

Panasonic AG DVC60 -- also recorded to Mini DV tape

MEDIAINFO

Container and General Information

AVI (OpenDML) (DVCPRO) 3.92 GIB 19mn 25s

1 Video Stream: DV

1 Audio Stream: PCM

Overall Bit Rate 28.9 MPS

First Video stream

24.4 bps  720x480(4:3) at 29.970 fps, DV (NTSC)(DVCPRO)

First Audio Stream

1 536 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 16 bits, 2 Channels, PCM(DV)

3) No presets -- do tell

My staff just said open the file and Publish+Share

Both the camera and software were on Auto/factory defaults

4) I have opened the file any of six different ways in both the Organizer and Premiere Elements Editor -- QUICK tab

-Drag and drop

-Add media > Files and folders

-Import > From files and folders

The audio never displays in the Editor in the bottom bar labeled Drag Audio Here -- and it does not play if I simply click the PLAY icon in the large window at the top half of the Editor -- and it does not export if I PublishShare.  I did check the ADVANCED button in the PublishShare window and ensure it was set to export audio.

If I click the Slide Show icon -- or Right Click and select View Photos and Videos in Slide Show -- or click Play Video or Audio, the file will play in the player WITH the audio.

5) I want to save and upload to YouTube on a clients Channel -- but the YouTube option will not allow me to upload a file longer than 15 min -- so I am selecting Computer > Adobe Flash Video > FLV - Web Large NTSC Source (Flash 8 and Higher)

I have tried F4V, FLV and MPEG with no success exporting audio.

-Mike McKinney

[Personal Data Removed at OP's Request]

• 4. Re: How to import audio
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike McKinney

Part 1

Please do a mini test run exactly as described below and let us know the results:

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 Windows - you want to be in the Expert view, not the Quick view (at least for now if not permanently)

2. Go immediately to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset in the new project dialog for NTSC DV Standard. Before exiting the new project dialog be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project".

3. In the Premiere Elements Expert view workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to import your DV AVI Standard file into Project Assets. From Project Assets, drag the DV AVI Standard file to the Expert view Timeline.

4. Make sure that you have Video 1 track and Audio 1 track open so that you can see the video and audio representations in them.

PE11 Tracks.JPG

Compare Video 1/Audio 1 opened versus Video 2/Audio 2 closed.

When you have your video on Video 1/Audio 1, do you see no colored line over that Timeline content or do you see an orange line? (I am talking about the orange line over the Timeline not the orange line that runs horizonally across the middle of your tracks content.)

Stop here and let us know if you get play back of video and audio when you press the play button at the bottom of the Edit Mode Monitor.

Part 2

The Publish+Share/Online/YouTube feature will allow for no more than 15 min. duration of your upload. If you want longer, you would need to export your Timeline content to file saved to hard drive and then upload that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site where you can get more information on its more than 15 min allowance there. (See Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets MP4 - NTSC DV Standard as possible file for export to YouTube at YouTube web site.)

Please check out the above and then we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to import audio
                  comhausone Level 1

I DO get a representation of the Audio in the Expert Audio 1 panel -- Video 1 is blue green, Audio 1 is forest green. But still hear nothing on the playback. 

Headphones are working.

• 6. Re: How to import audio
                    comhausone Level 1

Part2 -- was trying to download to hard drive for YourTube -- FLV

• 7. Re: How to import audio
                      comhausone Level 1

Gspot output attachedgspotoutput.jpg

• 8. Re: How to import audio
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike McKinney

We may be on to something with that latest gspot screenshot. Refer to section regarding Container.

That tells use that you are working with DV AVI Type 1. Premiere Elements works with DV AVI Type 2. Usually it can handle both types, but we have seen some recent issues (DV capture firewire involving DV AVI Type 1 - no sound in Premiere Elements issue) that have been resolved  by converting the DV AVI Type 1 to Type 2.

A quick way to do that is with the free DVDate utility. Quick and easy.

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

Drag you DV AVI file into the drop in box.

In the window that opens, go to Convert Menu/Contert to type 2

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 9. Re: How to import audio
                          comhausone Level 1

Converting now -- thanks!

-Mike McKinney

• 10. Re: How to import audio
                            comhausone Level 1

That looks to have worked.

THANKS!!!

Any suggestions on the best output format to upload for YouTube?

-Mike McKinney

• 11. Re: How to import audio
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Great news!

I see that your signature contains some personal information, and probably from your POP client program, if you are responding via e-mail.

Since the Adobe Forums are open, there are spam'bots crawling around, just looking for POP addresses. If you would like, I can remove all of that extra personal info, and urge you to direct me to do that. It will keep your InBox from filling up with spam.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to import audio
                                comhausone Level 1

Indeed -- thanks Hunt!

-Mike McKinney

• 13. Re: How to import audio
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike McKinney

Great, great news. Thanks for the follow up.

If your video is more than 15 minutes duration, you will be forced to export your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then upload that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site. If that is the case, I would probably go with:

Premiere Elements 11

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - NTSC DV Standard

If you are under 15 minutes duration for your video, you should look at Publish+Share/Online/YouTube with Presets = Flash Video for YouTube.

Please let us know the outcome.

Sounding good.

ATR

• 14. Re: How to import audio
                                    comhausone Level 1

WORKED!!!

But I have some progressive lip sync issues -- noticeable about 30:00 into the file.

Ideas?

• 15. Re: How to import audio
                                      comhausone Level 1

Redoing it as MP4 - NTSC DV Standard

• 16. Re: How to import audio
                                        comhausone Level 1

Still got a LITTLE lip sync the last 15 mihn or so.

Ideas?

• 17. Re: How to import audio
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike McKinney

Possibilities....

If you stay with Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - NTSC DV Standard, under the Advanced Button/Audio Tab, change the audio codec from AAC to AAC + 1 or AAC + 2 and see if that makes a difference in the audio sync.

Alternative formats might be:

Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime with Presets = NTSC DV

or

Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media with Presets = 720 x 480 4x3 29.97, under the Advanced Button/Audio Tab have the audio codec at Windows Media Audio 10 Professional.

Sometimes changing the audio can do the job, sometimes not.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 18. Re: How to import audio
                                            comhausone Level 1

Looks like the Type 2 files have the lip sync issues in them in native form -- before I output them.  Will try what you suggest now.

How can I back up the video a llttle at certain intervals?

• 19. Re: How to import audio
                                              comhausone Level 1

...or somehow re-sync them every 15 minutes or so?

• 20. Re: How to import audio
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

combausone

When you have the video on the Timeline, right click it and select Unlink Audio and Video from the pop up menu.

The basic idea at this point is to nudge the audio to be in sync with the video. You can do this by clicking on the audio to select it and then

a. hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you do one tap of the right or left arrow key...one tap represents a 1 frame "nudge".

b. hold down the Shift + Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you do a one tap of the right or left arrow key...one tap represents a 5 frame "nudge".

There are a variety of techniques can incorporate into this:

a. expand the Timeline with the -+ slider over the Timeline to get the best look at the Timeline content

b. if the nudge resists nudging, then unhighight audio and then rehighlight it and then the nudging.

c. depending on the circumstances of your position video in relation to audio, we might go into select export of the Timeline content using the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the area of the content for export (more later on that if necessary).

Please let us know how that turns out.

Thanks.

ATR