20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 9:19 PM by Samit

everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again

welchphoto Level 1

I just started to use CC after CS6, 5.5,5, 4 ....

What is with the indexing and peak file generating all the time?

Please tell me someone is there a way to stop this?

I just captured 12 hours of tape last night I left it on all night so it could take care of this. Then this morning I had to open a different project and when I went back to this one it started all over again.

Thank You

Dennis

• 1. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It happens sometimes.  I don't know of a definitive explanation why PP loses it's links to the cache.

A couple of things you might try are using only local, internal drives.  No externals and no networks.  And be sure to run with an Administrator account.

• 2. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
            Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

I second Jim's suggestions. I'll add that in at least a couple of cases I know of, clearing Premiere's prefs has resolved similar problems--perhaps by resetting the cache file location to the defaults.

One other thing to try: save and close the project, then rename the project file. I recently heard of a  case where all contents of a project got re-indexed each time the project was loaded. That user suspected that the culprit involved non-alphanumeric characters in his project name. Regardless of whether that diagnosis is on the money, renaming the project to a single, simple word resolved the problem. Worth noting, his project originated in CS6 and had been converted to a CC project. Is that true in your case?

• 3. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
              Zooropa75 Level 1

I am seeing this same issue! Premiere Pro starts regenerating peak files every time I open a project, or when I work in other apps for a while and then come back to PPro. After some experimentation, I noticed that when the project has moderate number of assets (10-20), only a few peak files are regenerated each time, which is quick. But when the project has 50+ video files, PPro ends up regenerating peak files all the time, non-stop. I had the "media cache files" folder open and I watched as the peak files kept on getting refreshed (replaced?) in front of my eyes. On and on. It was quite disturbing actually, like a horror movie!

More details:

* This problem started a couple of weeks ago, when I started using PPro CS6 again after many months of hiatus. Last week I switched to PPro CC (uninstalled CS6), and the problem persisted.

* I tried creating a new project (in PPro CC), with a simple one-word name, and the problem persists.

* This problem is also happening (independently) on my co-worker's machine, also running PPro CC.

* I did check the preference setting. The media cache was originally set to a non-existent folder (/user/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common) and I changed it to an existing folder (/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common). That didn't solve the problem.

Thoughts, anyone??

• 4. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                welchphoto Level 1

The only way I found to stop this was to have all files on a local disc.

I tried by have my, important don't want to lose them, video assets on a network RAID 5 but had to give that up. So now I have to copy them to tow locations one the RAID 5 for safety and on the local drive to work on.

Isn't this suppose to get easer as the tech improves?

So much for working in a group network environment like Adobe has touted for years.

• 5. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                  Zooropa75 Level 1

Working from a local drive is not really an option for me. I work in a team environment and we put all the projects on a network drive, so that we can all access them. Copying back and forth would be a nightmare.

What I'm doing now is to allow the peak files to be generated once, then turn off the option to automatically create peak files. It's a workaround, definitely not ideal.

So is this a widespread phenomenon? If so, I'm surprised not more people are complaining.

• 6. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Copying back and forth would be a nightmare.

Nevertheless, that is the recommended approach, outside of purchasing the specific hardware required for Adobe Anywhere.

• 7. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                      Zooropa75 Level 1

Is that the recommended approach over Adobe fixing the bug? It is clearly a bug... and doesn't make an sense.

Note that my media cache directory IS on my local drive... Just the project file and asset files aren't.

• 8. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Is that the recommended approach over Adobe fixing the bug?

That's not something you have control over.  Keeping everything local is something you have control over.

• 9. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                          Zooropa75 Level 1

Well, as I said, working from local drive is not really an option for our shared projects. The irony is, we are using Creative Cloud for Teams. So much for team collaboration...

I guess I will fill out that request form.

• 10. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Zooropa75,

Here is what works for others:

• Synch the time on the shared network storage drive with the Macs
                            • Trash the Premiere Pro preferences
                            • Shift the projects from a shared local drive to the system drive: the default PP location (I know this won't work for you, but has for others).

Thanks,

Kevin

• 11. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

working from local drive is not really an option

It's always an option.  You might not want to do it, but if you want this problem to go away and unless someone has a new idea, you might have to.

• 12. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                                Zooropa75 Level 1

Ummm... Not using Premiere Pro is always an option too, right?

• 13. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

It is.  I understand Avid has something in place for that kind of thing.  Excepting the hardware specific environment required for Adobe Anywhere, Premiere Pro is a little light on collaborative work flow features.  Be sure to add you voice if that's something you want with lesser hardware.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 14. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                                    David_V_Clarke Level 2

On a PC if you MAP the network drive it sometimes stops this happening.

• 15. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                                      Zooropa75 Level 1

So I found one successful workaround: In "Preferences - Media", turn on "Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible". I don't like having all the peak files in the same directory with the original assets, since I intended the assets directory to be a "do not touch" kind of thing... But it did stop the unneeded rebuilding of peak files, which is much more annoying!

On a side note, I also don't like that PPro modifies the asset files and changes the date/time stamps. Guess I'll have to live with that.

Also, someone from Adobe responded to my online bug report, and we had a fairly detailed discussion around the issue. Unfortunately, we didn't figure out the exact reason behind the bug.

• 16. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Zooropa75,

I'm glad you solved some of your issues. And that a bug report did bring about a call from the product team about investigating the bug. Although you didn't solve it, the issue is now being looked at. Thanks for your post and documenting workarounds. That is most helpful.

Cheers,

Kevin

• 17. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                                          Zooropa75 Level 1

That's great to know! I'd be happy to provide additional details, if needed.

• 18. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                                            dsfsdsdfsdffdsf Level 2

Zooropa75, can I ask where you initially had your audio conforms located?

We work in a network environment with about 3 PP seats and initially had very similar troubles to what you describe with CS6 after switching from FCP7. To work around the problem we kept all non-media material on the OS system drive. Over the next few weeks we gradually shifted them back till we found a stable solution.

Our setup (that touch wood has worked well for the past few months) has been the following:

PP projects: NAS

Source media: NAS (Same as project)

Auto-saves: Documents (local OS drive)

Preview renders: Same as project

Capured A/V: Same as project

Media Cache Files: Default (Users/../Library/App Support/Adobe/Common)

Media Cache Database: Default (Users/../Library/App Support/Adobe/Common)

Untick Save Media Cache next to originals

I also time server synced the clocks between our suites and the NAS just for kicks.

We found (presumably) when the conforms and indexes were stored on the shared drive each different user would read the metadata and trick PP into thinking changes had occured to the metadata, causing an endless cycle of reconforming whenever the project bounced around the suites.

I don't want to suggest the above will work in your case, but it solved the very, very frustrating problem for us.

• 19. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                                              Zooropa75 Level 1

PaulM - the issue and solution that you mentioned (stemming from multiple users accessing the metadata) are in line with what the Adobe guy told me. My situation, however, is different. First of all, I ran into the problem when the media cache files and database were on my local drive. In fact, when I moved them to the network drive (where the source media is), the problem seemed to become less, though not completely resolved. Secondly, I am currently the only one dealing with this project, so nobody else has been accessing any of the files.

Seems like there are two separate issues with similar symptoms.

• 20. Re: everytime I open a project it indexs all the files again
                                                Samit Level 1

Facing the same problem. In my case I had the capture and cache files on an NTFS formatted local drive on Mac Pro with "Paragon NTFS for Mac" driver. None of the options suggested in this thread worked for me.

The issue is resolved once I moved all the media and cache files to native HFS formatted local drive on Mac.

I hope the bug is addressed soon so that we don't have to change our system configurations or the workflows to resolve it.