9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 8:52 PM by the_wine_snob

No sound from audio files downloaded from itunes

albi2934 Level 1

Using Windows 8 with premiere elements 11. No sound from audio files ending .m4a.

frustrating because i have not experienced these problems with windows 7 on a desktop.

• 1. Re: No sound from audio files downloaded from itunes
          nealeh Level 5

Have you installed iTunes to the W8 machine or just copied the files from the W7 machine? If the latter install iTunes and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 2. Re: No sound from audio files downloaded from itunes
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If Neale's suggestions do not work for you, and they should, perhaps you can do it "the old fashioned way," which is a bit more work, but nearly always successful:

Create a Playlist in iTunes.

Copy the music files to that Playlist.

Burn an Audio CD of that Playlist.

Rip that Audio CD, and Save the music files as PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, which should Import perfectly into PrE.

Once, that was about the only way to do it, but things have gotten better. Still, that Playlist to Audio CD workflow can be a backup.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: No sound from audio files downloaded from itunes
              A.T. Romano Level 7

albi2934

I was curious about what you wrote:

Using Windows 8 with premiere elements 11. No sound from audio files ending .m4a.

frustrating because i have not experienced these problems with windows 7 on a desktop.

Premiere Elements (any version).....Classically  those iTunes m4a music files are protected files. Are you saying that you did not run into any of that with Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 for the present files or previous ones?

ATR

• 4. Re: No sound from audio files downloaded from itunes
                nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

Classically  those iTunes m4a music files are protected files.

I keep seeing this said but it's not my experience. Every protected music file I've got in iTunes is a .m4p. All the .m4a files I have are the unprotected files I've ripped from my own CD's.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 5. Re: No sound from audio files downloaded from itunes
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

That is what I see in my iTunes music library - the .m4p's come from my ripped Audio CD's, and the .m4a's appear as my purchased iTunes music.

Now, I so very, very seldom need to go with any music, that is not Royalty Free (even for my personal use), I am anything BUT an expert on using any form of iTunes music in my video productions.

Just my observations,

Hunt

• 6. Re: No sound from audio files downloaded from itunes
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

I am not involved to any great extent with iTunes or its music although my recent iPod has drawn me in that direction.

So reflecting on your observations regarding iTunes m4a and m4p...

a. Everything that I have read so far says that m4a and m4p are the same except that the m4p includes the DRM restrictions (or it did until iTunes did away with DRM for its music). Further these file extensions seem to wrap AAC audio compression.

b. Premiere Elements (many versions) seems to have been hit with many users issues relating to the use of iTunes music in their creations. My recollection is that these users usually presented with .m4a music and were directed to a variety of methods for converting the .m4a to .mp3. The rationale behind the suggestions appear to be go to the protected music aspect of the music rather than a file extension or audio compression incompatibility issue. All of these conversions rightly or wrongly seemed to be wrapped with the protect issue. Converting the .m4a to .mp3 worked for most. That was their bottom line. Whether the .m4a (in spite of its file extension) had DMR causing the issue or format incompatibility causing it never seemed to be defined.

c. In fact, there are numerous articles online that address removal of DRM from iTunes m4a, AAC, and m4p.

d. But, since iTunes appears to have removed DRM from its music, the matter dissolves.

e. Prior to the iTunes' removal of the DRM, it is not clear to me just what iTunes music had DRM in spite of its file extension.

ATR

• 7. Re: No sound from audio files downloaded from itunes
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The adoption of AAC is fairly recent. Originally, iTunes was only MP3, except when ripping from Audio CD's. Now, one has some options, and can even "upgrade" earlier purchases, that were MP3 only, to AAC for higher-fidelity. I have paid for that upgrade for many titles.

Since I fly so much, and as both of my autos will connect to my iPod (wife's also has an 80GB HDD), I have been using my iTunes quite a bit - just not for video production. The higher-fidelity material has been worth the US $0.25 +/- additional charge. Unfortunately, all of my iTunes music is not available for me to upgrade, and I rather hate MP3 compression.

Hunt

• 8. Re: No sound from audio files downloaded from itunes
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

How recent is recent for the mp3 to AAC? I have seen that AAC in context with m4a and m4p going back several years.

ATR

• 9. Re: No sound from audio files downloaded from itunes
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Wow, I would guess about 3 years ago, but if someone else tells you 4, then believe them. While I have had iTunes for about 10 years, I cannot recall when they introduced the higher-fidelity material.

Hunt