3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 9:15 PM by A.T. Romano

Flickering night shots

garymanilow Level 1

Hey. I took some night shots. The lighting was decent-ish. They look fine in my media player, then when I import the have a little flicker in PE 11...??

• 1. Re: Flickering night shots
          A.T. Romano Level 7

garymanilow

How about....Premiere Elements 11

Highlight clip Expert view Timeline

Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the scroll down to where it says Anti-flickler Filter and move the slider all the way to the right to 1.00.

There is another opportunity called Flicker Removal. To do that, right click the video on the Expert view Timeline, select Field Options and then dot the Flicker Removal option.

See how you do with the above.

What kind of footage are you placing on the Expert view Timeline, interlaced or progressive? If interlaced, do you know if it has a Field Order of Lower Field First or Upper Field First. More on that later.

If interlacing is involved, you might want to check out the following article on interlacing if that is new to you. If you have been there and done that, please excuse and disregard.

http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

ATR

• 2. Re: Flickering night shots
            garymanilow Level 1

What kind of footage are you placing on the Expert view Timeline, interlaced or progressive?

Not sure what you mean by that? I decided that the flicker wasn't bad enough to re-shoot, but I am definitely going to look at your fixes. At the moment I am placing clips in sequence so the flicker fix may come later.

• 3. Re: Flickering night shots
              A.T. Romano Level 7

garymanilow

The business of interlaced and progressive relates to the frames as explained in the link that i posted.

http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

You probably have seen the camera ads boosting 1080i or 1080p where the 1080i reflects footage with frame size 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (if NTSC) or 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. The PAL people would be dealing with 25.00 interlaced or progressive frames per second.

We can talk about this some more if it becomes necessary. The article does a good job of explaining the concept. For interlaced video sometimes you need to reverse the order of the fields from upper field first to lower field first or vice versa.

ATR