5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 2:13 PM by Peter Spier

How to change default vertical page co-ordinates from center, to top?

cmscss Level 1

Hi There,

We're having trouble understanding why InDesign centers the page instead of aligning the view to the top when switching pages (and copying and pasting) - and how to change this behavior.

To understand what I'm talking about, do the following:

1. Create a new document (any size)
      2. Use the page tool to to change the height
      3. Create a new page and use the page tool to make the height a lot taller
      4. Now switch between the pages

Notice how InDesign always shows you the center of the page?

This is frustrating in many situations like copying and pasting - try the following:

1. Create a box on the first page and align it to 20mm from the top and 20mm from the left
      2. Copy the box
      3. Switch to the second page
      4. Paste using CMD + OPT + SHFT + P

The object should be pasted in the same spot (20mm from the top and 20mm from the left) but it isn't - on the vertical, it's pasted relative to the center of the page for some reason.

It surprising how annoying this becomes when you're constantly re-positioning pasted items or when switching between web layouts of different heights - it becomes a two step process instead of one.

Does anyone know how to change this behavior?

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated - we're using CS5.5

Cheers

Ben

• 1. Re: How to change default vertical page co-ordinates from center, to top?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Actually, it looks to me as if the object is pasted based on the coordinates relative to the original page size, which I find a little strange since changing the first page you altered back to the original or to the same size as the second page doesn't move the object to the same position as the one you pasted.   To see this more clearly, make the first page shorter, and the second page taller, by the same amount, using a reference point at the bottom of the page proxy. Do the copy/paste, then use the page tool to reurn the pages to the original size. The relative postions of the object to the top of the page will swap.

I think it's a quirk of how the page tool works, but I'm not sure. I've  never liked the page tool, don't need it for my work, and consequently  don't use it. The behavior is the same in CS6.

As far as the view, I'm not seeng that here, but I'm on Windows which may be a factor, and I'm zoomed originally to show the spread.

• 2. Re: How to change default vertical page co-ordinates from center, to top?
            Jump_Over Level 5

macopp wrote:

...The object should be pasted in the same spot ....

...Any pointers in the right direction ...

Why in the same spot if pages have different size?

Imagine a copy of item from a bottom of much more bigger page which is pasted in 'your way' on the smaller page. Where can we find it? Somewhere deep on the pasteboard? Unable to paste dialog? How many steps it involves?

"Right direction" depends on current goal, so lets agree the center of page is a good anchor

Jarek

• 3. Re: How to change default vertical page co-ordinates from center, to top?

But it isn't the center of the page...

It looks to me as if ID is taking the coordinates from the source page, then on Paste in Place, using the coordiantes as if they are on the unmodified page, then adding or subtracting, as appropriate to the direction in which the page size was modified, the amount by which the new page was changed from the baseline unmodified page. That doesn't seem any more reasonable to me thatn simply using the same coordinates relative to the new size of the page, which I think is what macopp has in mind, but it strikes me as very similar to what happens when you copy from a facing pages file and past in place into a non-facing file.

• 4. Re: How to change default vertical page co-ordinates from center, to top?
                cmscss Level 1

Thanks for the replies - sorry I didn't reply earlier but they went to junk.

Why in the same spot if pages have different size?

In general, sure - but what about letting the user define a point of reference? For me, it's always the top left corner like the rulers - I completely understand if that doesn't work for others but it would save me so much wasted time constantly repositioning objects.

Also, in a lot of documents with different page-sizes, setting the reference to top left (or whatever you set your rulers to) actually works a lot of the time - granted, probably only for those that use the numbers to position objects.

Anyway, what I'd like to do is find out how to set a document-wide reference point for co-ordinates - obviously you can't do this right?

Another thing that wastes time (in a similar vein) is the ability to set defaults for translation, rotation and flipping etc.

Almost without fail, I find I want top left when moving (because I set rulers to top left) but center for rotation and flipping. Being able to set a default per translation type would save a lot of pointing and clicking.

Is this possible?

• 5. Re: How to change default vertical page co-ordinates from center, to top?

I think the answers to each of those questions is that it's not currently doable.

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form