6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 12:38 PM by Todd_Kopriva

FirePro W7000 or Quadro K4000

DKyriazis

I am about to buy a graphic card

I am between FirePro W7000  and Quadro K4000

I know that Adobe is supporting the OpenCL in it's latest products so the AMD solution is an option.

But I have problem.

I am not entirely sure whether the 3DRay tracing Rendering in After Effects benefits from the openCL or it is only CUDA accelerated
      since I've read that  OpenCL doesn't fully support certain plugins and functions.

So what do you suggest?

I am not interested in buying a consumer gaming card so pls dont tell me about GeforceGTX or HD  products

Thank you in advance for your response

Best regards

Dimitris

• 1. Re: FirePro W7000 or Quadro K4000
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need one of the specific NVIDIA GPU's on Adobe's list to use accelerate the Ray Traced render.

More info here. If you're planning to do a lot of 3d stuff like that, I would highly recommend Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator or Video Copilot's Element. The render speed on Element blows me away.

• 2. Re: FirePro W7000 or Quadro K4000
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Be sure to read the page that Szalam linked to. It has all of the information that you need.

> I am not interested in buying a consumer gaming card so pls dont tell me about GeforceGTX

Why?

I have yet to see a professional user of After Effects or other design software complain about one of these cards. Their performance is excellent at low prices.

• 3. Re: FirePro W7000 or Quadro K4000
              DKyriazis Level 1

So... you recomend the Quadro K4000 for After Effects or any CUDA card.
              But I would like to know if Adobe is planing to support OpenCL for these kind of tasks in the near future. I know that they did on some Premiere Plugins but i dont have any information about After Effects.
              Also I' m reading that many apps are expanding the support for OpenCL acceleration.
              I am using some 3D apps like Luxology's Modo and Cinema4D alongside  AE. thats why I need a more professional card. I wont use exclusively After Effetcts.

Thnx for your response

• 4. Re: FirePro W7000 or Quadro K4000
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I would like to know if Adobe is planing to support OpenCL for these kind of tasks in the near future

The ray-traced 3D renderer in After Effects is built on top of the Nvidia OptiX library, which relies on CUDA. This will never work with OpenCL. Keep in mind that this is only one feature, though, and there are other ways to work with 3D in After Effects, including the more recent features to integrate After Effects with CInema 4D.

> So... you recomend the Quadro K4000...

I don't see where anyone said that. That card isn't on the list of tested and supported in the current version.

> thats why I need a more professional card.

I think that it's incorrect to refer to the Quadro cards as "more professional". They provide different features. If raw CUDA computation is what you're after, the GTX cards do very well. Part of building a "professional" system is only spending what you need to on the features that you'll actually use (and then using the savings on other components, like RAM and SSDs, whoch make a huge difference in performance).

We spend a lot of time talking with our partners at Nvidia about this, and they are happy to recommend cards like the GTX 690 for use with applications like After Effects.

Of the four cards that they asked us to test next, three of them are GTX cards, since these are the ones that they know (and we know) suit the use of After Effects and other creative software well. (The other is the K6000, which is a mighty nice card.)

I'm not trying to tell you that you must get one card or the other. I'm just trying to make sure that you don't dismiss an entire category out of hand without doing more research of your own.

• 5. Re: FirePro W7000 or Quadro K4000
                  DKyriazis Level 1

Thanks a lot for responding!

The common tasks that I use on my system is
                  1.Photoshop - Illustrator  (painting , texture painting , illustration)
                  2.Premiere - After Affects (short clips , intros or viral videos e.t.c. )
                  3.Renders using Modo , Cinema4D or Maya. (Not huge scenes or long duration animations)
                  I will reconsider my options , because like you said

I'm just trying to make sure that you don't dismiss an entire category out of hand without doing more research of your own.

The brand new K6000 is a great card but completely out of my budget

Thnx a lot again!! your  answer was very helpfull!!!

• 6. Re: FirePro W7000 or Quadro K4000
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See these benchmark results for Premiere Pro and After Effects:

http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php

http://www.loopoutcontinue.com/cuda/