8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2013 11:32 PM by ssprengel

Blown out images in ACR 6.7

jw_photography Level 1

I previously shot with a Canon 5D and had no problem using ACR.

Now, I purchased a Mark III. The histogram and flashing white highlights are perfectly exposed on camera. (And also in the Canon software). When I open in ACR 6.7 everything is totally blown out. Why? All updates are current for ACR and Photoshop (CS5). Help!

• 1. Re: Blown out images in ACR 6.7
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Perhaps your ACR defaults are too bright?  What toning slider values (Exposure, highlights, etc) do you see—are they all zero or are some non-zero? 

Are you using any advanced-lighting-optimization (if that’s what Canon calls it) or similar in camera?  Perhaps the camera is fixing overexposure in the camera processing, but LR doesn’t know what or how the camera does things.

You might shoot some RAW+JPG shots and post a screenshot of a aide-by-side comparison of the two in LR.

• 2. Re: Blown out images in ACR 6.7
            jw_photography Level 1

I am using ACR - not LR.

Settings are:

Exposure  0

Recovery  0

Fill Light  0

Blacks  +5

Brightness  +50

Contrast  +25

Clarity  0

Vibrance  0

Saturation  0

This has always been the same and I haven't had any issues before. I am wondering if the custom WB is not reading right in ACR? Like if Canon and ACR are seeing the 18% gray as different values?

I will try to take a RAW + JPG Image tomorrow and post on here to see the difference. I don't know that I am using any advanced-lighting-optimization in my camera. Are you familiar with the Mark III and know where I could check this?

Thanks for your response.

• 3. Re: Blown out images in ACR 6.7

Your ACR tone settings seem like the normal defaults for Process Version 2010.  The PV2012 in CS6/ACR7+ or LR 4+ have an automatic slight highlight compression that can’t be turned off, so would look better, and then the toning controls in PV1012 are superior according to most people.

I don’t have a 5D level camera, but according to the manual, ALO is on the second of four setup pages under the Camera settings tab, between ISO and WB.  See page 144 in the PDF of the manual available, here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Brochu resAndManuals

There is also Highlight Tone Priority that underexposes in the camera to preserve highlights, then digitally boosts the ISO on darker areas, to even out the exposure.  If your pictures were too dark coming into LR that would be the problem but you’re having the opposite issue.

Are you judging your on-camera-screen exposure using the camera’s histogram or just by eyeballing the LCD rendition of the picture and lack of highlight warning blinking?

The Picture Style in the camera can also affect things and if particular colors are being clipped that can be the ACR camera profile you have selected.

Basically turn off everything in the camera that fixes things for JPGs or is some sort of brightness, contrast, or color customization beyond neutral settings (because those affect the in-camera preview, Canon-produced JPGs, but not raw files), and then perhaps set your camera profile in ACR to Camera Standard and see if things match better.

It is possible that your new camera has more dynamic range and ACR isn’t dealing with it any differently than your old camera but you’ll see more things clipped.

Without having the camera and raw files in ACR to play with, it’s hard to guess what might be occurring.

I would recommend updating to the current version of PS, which is either CS6 for $200 before the end of the year or CC which is $20/mo, $10/mo-first-year, to get the newer PV2012 toning model, or buy Lightroom for less than $200 and use Edit In Photoshop with LR Adjustments (rendered into TIFs on the way into PS).

• 4. Re: Blown out images in ACR 6.7
                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Hi jw_photography,

Please do post a sample raw + jpeg file.  You can also send one directly to me at madmanchan2000@yahoo.com (YouSendIt.com, Dropbox, etc.) and I'd be happy to take a look at what's going wrong. 

Thanks,

Eric

• 5. Re: Blown out images in ACR 6.7
                  jw_photography Level 1

Ok. Top photo is a picture of my actual histograms right off the back of the camera - no flashing whites - looks like a pretty perfect exposure to me, yeah?

Second image:

Left side is in canon software with blown out highlights checked (there isn't any) - looks like back of camera - on right is what I see in ACR.

Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 12.40.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-08-28 at 12.42.09 PM.png

• 6. Re: Blown out images in ACR 6.7

If you haven’t, yet, send an example raw+jpg exhibiting the problem to Eric Chan, one of the main Adobe Camera Raw engineers (do a Help / About Plug-in / Camera Raw if in doubt), and perhaps a link to this thread so it’s obvious what the files are for since it’s been a few days.

To my eyes, and perhaps the image is too small to see clearly, or has JPG artifacts, your camera histogram shows highlight clipping on the reds and shadow clipping on the blues despite the combined histogram not showing clipping.  This is consistent with ACR’s channel clipping indications.  A screen-capture of DPPs channel histogram might be easier to see.  There seem to be five stops of tones in the camera histogram.  Is this the same as what your 5D (mark 1) had?

Apparently Canon is showing you blinking/blown highlights when all the channels are clipped, whereas ACR is showing you blown highlights when one or more channels are clipped. 

• 7. Re: Blown out images in ACR 6.7
                      jw_photography Level 1

Ok. I can get an email to him, but I have more information regarding this problem. I sent a RAW file to my friend to look on his comptuer to see if it was blown out on his end. He said he could not open it in ACR because of the newer files. (He had not upgraded to the 6.7 version). So, I converted the original to DNG and send it back over to him. He opened it in his ACR and it was much, much better. (Image included). So, something is happening with my files in 6.7. That is the only time it is that blown out and not matching the histograms - any ideas?

Also, how do I make the red gamut not so blown out in ACR? Screen Shot 2013-08-31 at 10.20.49 PM.png

• 8. Re: Blown out images in ACR 6.7

What output colorspace is his ACR set to, AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB?  Yours is set to sRGB which is the smallest so will show the most clipping.

What camera profile is yours set to, Adobe Standard or Camera Standard, and the same question for his? 

Either of these could be different between his and yours and cause the color conversion to be different.

If you read my previous reply, it says that both your camera's histogram and ACR's histogram are showing clipped reds and blues.  The difference is that your camera only shows a clipping warning when all channels are clipped (when areas are pure white), whereas ACR shows a warning when any channel is clipped, and since the red is the only channels that is too bright, only ACR shows the warning.  ACR is being more precise than your camera, that's all.