1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 4:54 PM by a C student

Multi-page cell inside a table for 508 compliance

comatose72

I'm remediating a document for 508 compliance that contains a 13 page table. Some of the cells within the table are also several pages long due to a large amount of content.

I'm unsure of how to proceed with the PDF tagging structure for making the multi-page cells and therefore the multi-page table 508 compliant (I'm working in Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro). Do I need to Span between the components of the same cell on separate pages? Can I simply drag the separate components together in the tagging window? Something else entirely?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Multi-page cell inside a table for 508 compliance
          a C student Level 3

I handle multi-page tables just as you mention - by dragging the separate components to the proper place in the tag tree. In this case the 13-page table would have one <Table> tag. A row that spans multiple pages would have one <TR> tag. A data cell with several pages of content would have one <TD> tag that might contain numerous <P> and/or other tags. If the table includes a header row that repeats at the top of each page, I would include just the first instance and tag the repeats as background artifacts. You mention Span but I am not sure if you mean the <Span> tag or the Row Span and Column Span properties of the table cells. I have not found a need for the Span tag when working with tables. If any table cell spans multiple columns and/or rows, of course the Span properties of that cell would need to be set accordingly. If a cell spans multiple pages but is confined to just one row and one column, then the Span properties would remain set at 1. The Acrobat table editor seems to get confused by multi-page tables so if you need to use it – for example to set Span properties – you may have to temporarily break that section of the table out into its own <Table> tag, set the properties correctly, then move it back. Finally, if you are not already using the free PDF Accessibility Checker (PAC) from the Swiss foundation Access for All, I highly recommend it. One of its many advantages is a “Preview” feature that makes it easy to inspect the structure of a long, complex table.

Hope this helps.

a ‘C’ student