15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 6:00 PM by A.T. Romano

How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc

dnolte99

I have been unable to burn a DVD disc with the AVCHD format using the sharing options of Premiere Elements (version 11). There is an error message of "media not present."

The program burn option only worked for a DVD format output, which yields poor relative quality.The original source file imported into elements was  an AVCHD (with a .BDM file). I have also tried various name brands of DVD-r or +r media with no resolution.

Alternatively I have tried the save to folder workaround option which generated a ".F4V" file. I have been unsuccessful to convert/burn to disk (last attempt using a 3rd party utility ended with a low quality DVD).

Does anyone have solutions or ideas on how to resolve my issue. Many thanks.

Dan Nolte

• 1. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say but I assume you're using Publish & Share/Disc/AVCHD to create your disc.

What happens if you select the option to burn this AVCHD disc file to a folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a disc?

BTW, you do know that you will not be able to play this AVCHD/DVD on a DVD player, right? An AVCHD is a high-definition video file that, although it is on a DVD, can only be played on a BluRay player.

• 2. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

One question, to supplement Steve G's comments: Is your multi-drive/burner a BD burner, or just DVD?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dan Nolte

Looking forward to your answer to SG's important question

What happens if you select the option to burn this AVCHD disc file to a folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a disc?

In your process of looking at his suggestion and following up with him, could you also include a question from me regarding your use of your source as an AVCHD.bdm file? I would like to know, what happens, if you put a .mpg, .avi, mp4 or the like on your Timeline and then you use Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD with the burn to DVD disc? Does that burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc go to a successful completion? I will watch for an answer to that in your reply directed to SG.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                dnolte99 Level 1

Thanks for your questions. If I burn/render the AVCHP file to a folder, I get a  ".F4V", which I don't know how to handle. Using an online suggestion, I used a program to convert and burn to DVD. The only problem has been that I  lose my HD quality.

I am using a BD and also DVD multi-format burners. I do understand that this AVCHD file needs to be played on a blu ray player.

As a test, I have also added mpeg and jpeg clips to the timeline, with no change to the problem. As before, it will burn in the DVD format mode.

Dan

• 5. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If I burn/render the AVCHP file to a folder, I get a  ".F4V", which I don't know how to handle.

That is odd indeed. If one uses Publish+Share, the default format will be Adobe Flash, with the F4V CODEC. That should never figure into the DVD/BD/AVCHD disc selections - and only to Publish+Share. I think that something might be wrong in the initial steps that you are taking in exporting your Timeline. Can you verify exactly which steps you are taking?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                    dnolte99 Level 1

Steps as follows:

• imported .bdm file into P/E
                    • Selected the 'disc' option under publish+share
                    • Selected the AVCHD mode that the top of the options screen, along with burner location and presets NTSC 1440x1080
                    • status displayed is 'media not present'
                    • unable to continue

Did I miss a key process??

Thanks,

Dan

• 7. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                      dnolte99 Level 1

I have two burners, BD and DVD, both support multi-formats.

• 8. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Dan

I think that you may be off target for SG suggestion as Hunt has indicated. See if the following helps.

When you burn to folder AVCHD, you are putting the AVCHD structure into the BDMV Folder saved to the hard drive. It is that BDMV Folder that you can use to get your AVCHD on DVD disc using a 3rd party software such as ImgBurn. But, let me not get ahead of ourselves.

The main purpose in doing this now is to see if the program can generate the necessary files (taking the burner activity out of the equation). So, here is what you should be doing to test this out...

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD

and in Burn to: change that to Folder (4.7 GB).

If that works, we know that the program can generate the necessary AVCHD structure/foldersfiles.

Please check out the screenshot and where you should be to initiate all this:

BurnToFolder.jpg

Thanks for checking this out.

ATR

• 9. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dan,

I just saw your latest post after I posted mine.

What you described sounds like what you should be doing for burn to disc (DVD). However, that is not working right now because of that "Media is Not Present" message.

So, the goal is to take the burner out of the equation using the troubleshooting step that SG suggested, that is, the burn to folder.

ATR

• 10. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                            dnolte99 Level 1

ATR,

I was able to burn to folder, which includes the BDMV structure.

Although the PE burn to disc option does not function, the alternate process will work fine.

I will need to find the imgburn utility and work to create the disc.

Dan

PS- I had already verified that there were no problems with media and drive issues noted in the tips that you forwarded.

The IMGburn program seems to lack notes on how to run. Can you explain?

Thanks

• 11. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dan

Great news tht the AVCHD on DVD burn to folder (4.7 GB) worked.

However, here is the basic path to stay with....

Although you may see references to a CERTIFICATE FOLDER needed along with the BDMV Folder, ignore that. The AVCHD DVD burn to folder comes only with the BDMV Folder. ImgBurn should create a CERTICATE FOLDER for your AVCHD DVD when burned there.

1. Open ImgBurn and select the category "Write files/folders to disc".

2. In the page that opens, go to the File Menu/Browse for a Source Folder and browse to the BDMV Folder from the AVCHD DVD burn to folder. Select only the BDMV Folder, using the Select Folder option in the dialog.

3. Click on the Build button at the bottom of the dialog to initiate the process. At the onset, you will probably we hit by program messages saying that it detects a BDMV Folder and asks if you want it to reset for Blu-ray disc. Answer No. Do not let it reset to Blu-ray disc. If it wants to do volume labels for you, it is OK to say Yes.

The final setting that worked for me for playback with my CyberLink computer player were:

Data Type: MODE1/2048

File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I think that I have covered all the dos and do not's, but, if any problems, please let me know. I have road tested this, so it should be OK.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                                dnolte99 Level 1

ATR

The IMGBurn process seemed to run without any problems. Unfortunately, the new DVD will not play in either of my BR players.

I think you noted something about a mode setting, which I don’t understand. Do I need to reburn using a different disc, or is there a compatibility issue with different players?

Alternatively, can I just burn to a Blu Ray disc??

Thanks,

Dan

• 13. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dan,

It is usually very difficult to identify Blu-ray player that will support AVCHD on DVD. Some do and some don't. The only way I play back my AVCHD DVD is with CyberLink software that came with my Blu-ray DVD burner.

You should be able to take the BDMV Folder that you now have and take it back into ImgBurn to put in on a Blu-ray disc.

In this case, say Yes to the ImgBurn messages about using a Blu-ray disc. Now it should be using:

Data Type: Mode1/2048

File System: UDF (2.50).

On final product...the Blu-ray disc should have a BDMV Folder and the CERTIFICATE FOLDER (generated by ImgBurn).

Please update us on your progress with regard to all, including player compatibility with your end products.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 14. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                                    dnolte99 Level 1

ATR

Burning to blu-ray worked great.

Thanks so much for your support.

Dan

• 15. Re: How to burn a AVCHD format file to disc
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Dan

Great, great news. So pleased with your success. Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

Right now I suspect that your burner and/or the DVD discs are at the core of the direct burn AVCHD to DVD disc from Premiere Elements "media not present", but I do not know how productive a route that is going to be at this point. When you had the problem, did you hit the Rescan button after the disc was in the burner tray and you saw that message in the burn dialog?

If you have the Blu-ray player and can get an inexpensive Blu-ray DVD burner, it might be best overall to target Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc than AVCHD on DVD disc. If you will be doing a lot of test runs for your Blu-ray, consider investing in a few of those BD-RE 25 GB which can be used over and over again. Once used, Premiere Elements will let you use the disc again once you give the OK for the program to erase the disc.

Continued success. Good job.

ATR