11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2013 6:21 PM by wilsonpenn

Error message starting InDesign CS6

capricornstudios

Why do I get a message to install Swatches Panel Plugin when I start InDesign CS6 ?

• 1. Re: Error message starting InDesign CS6
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That sounds like the program install is damaged. Is this the first time you launched, or did it used to work? If you create a new user and log into your machine with that account, do you still get the error?

OS?

• 2. Re: Error message starting InDesign CS6
            capricornstudios Level 1

I don't remember seeing this before...this is what it says...:Cannot load OutputMiscUI.InDesignPlugin because it requires Swatches Panel. Please install the Swatches Panel plug-in and restart InDesign.

And then, when I try to update CS6 (this is not CC, I own the suite), I get this...:

file:////private/var/folders/dk/dkSyOqSPF3qHzNOim5ddlk+++TQ/-Tmp-/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0 .html[8/1/13 4:51:24 PM]

Dynamic Link Media Server CS6 1.0.1 Update

There was an error installing this update. Please quit and try again later. Error Code: U44M1I216

Flash Pro CS6 update 2

There was an error installing this update. Please quit and try again later. Error Code: U44M1I216

Adobe Photoshop 13.0.5

There was an error installing this update. Please quit and try again later. Error Code: U44M1I208

Adobe CSXS InfrastructureCS6

Fireworks CS6 update to improve Mac 10.8 platform compatibility and resolve usability bugs.

Photoshop Camera Raw 8.1(CS6)

Adobe Bridge CS6 5.0.2 Update

Adobe InDesign CS6 8.0.1 update

Extension Manager 6.0.7 Update

Adobe Illustrator CS6 Update (version 16.0.4)

Dreamweaver CS6 (to version 12.0.3) to address HiDPI-compliance and resolve critical bugs.

DPS Desktop Tools CS6 27.0.0 Update

Adobe Media Encoder CS6 6.0.2 Update

• 3. Re: Error message starting InDesign CS6

You didn't say if it works in a new user, though I gather that you've been using ID for some time without a problem.

And take a look at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4444746. I think you need to reinstall Extension Manager (there's a link).

• 5. Re: Error message starting InDesign CS6

Your last post was blank. That can happen with some email clients when responding by email instead of coming back to the web page.

• 6. Re: Error message starting InDesign CS6
                  capricornstudios Level 1

Thanks, Peter...I finally bit the bullet and uninstalled, and then re-downloaded from Adobe...and walla! all is well...evidently the original download was corrupt. I even noticed that Photoshop was much faster after I re-installed...thanks for the info!...
                  Jim

• 7. Re: Error message starting InDesign CS6

Hey Jim,

glad you got it fixed.

Before I deleted your personal info I noticed you're only about 60 miles or so from me -- I'm in Brewster. I sure hope the break in the weather lasts.

Cheers.

• 8. Re: Error message starting InDesign CS6
                      capricornstudios Level 1

Me Too...love the dry, medium temp...just like California where I grew up! We should hook up sometime...here is my website (built in Freeway Pro)...www.capricornstudios.com...not fancy, but works..

[personal info removed by moderator]

• 9. Re: Error message starting InDesign CS6
                        capricornstudios Level 1

Although I still can't update my suite....although I am suspecting that when it does say there are updates available in Bridge, it is for CC, which I am not on (except Muse)...j

• 10. Re: Error message starting InDesign CS6

Are the errors the same, or something new?

• 11. Re: Error message starting InDesign CS6
                            wilsonpenn

I also received this annoying message(s) as InDesign CS6 loaded [error: "install swatches panel" and "Cannot load OutputMiscUI.InDesignPlugin"; followed by 3 to 5 can not load errors popped up in succession regarding plugins, etc].  This error prevented me from adding colors to fonts and crashed my software [it would terminate/quit/explode unexpectedly]. After scratching my head all day, I SOLVED it.  A clean install of CS6 either from the DVD disk or downloading the software from Adobe.com did NOT fix the problem. Annoying! 

. . .Well, I previously had CS5 on my mac and, in an effort to save space before installing CS6, I went ahead and uninstalled CS5, then installed CS6 which seemed to go fine (no installation error flags) until I actually started up Indesign - which is when the error msgs popped up. My other CS6 apps (photshop, illustrator, bridge, etc) worked fine, but not InDesign CS6. So, I eventually backtracked and reinstalled InDesign CS5, then installed InDesign CS6 and the problem was FIXED. Seems CS6 was looking for CS5 plugin/swatch info to convert and/or port is my guess for my "situation." I am relieved this worked and wanted to share my solution.