One possible reason ...
Sometimes ADE gets its registration/activation confused and in a semi-authorized state.
Uninstalling and reinstalling does not help.
Unfortunately, it often then gives misleading error messages about what is wrong.
A common incorrect message informs you that the ID is already in use on another computer and cannot be reused.
This can often be resolved by completely removing any authorization using ctrl-shift-D to the Library screen on ADE (cmd-shift-D if on Mac).
Restart ADE, and then reauthorize with your (old) Adobe ID.
In extreme cases on the mac, the following extra step has helped some people. Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash. If you are using 10.7, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1265248?tstart=0
If that doesn't help, post again with more details about the message.
Thanks for the reply.... sadly it did not help. Re more information, the
file begins to transfer to the ereader and then I get the error message
ioerror and am told that the file cannot be transferred.
It is possible that the memory on the Bebook reader is full. In that case, remove some books from it (using a file manager sush as Windows Explorer or Finder to view the reader as a mounted drive).
Also possible that the memory on the reader is corrupted somehow. In that case you may need to do a factory reset on it (check its instructions). Copy all the books already on it to your PC/Mac with the file manager first, unless you already have safe copies.
It seems that in fact, there were too many books on my reader. I do not
know what 'finder' is and a google search was unhelpful, however, I went to
the guide on my reader and followed the instructions there using My
It would have been helpful if ADE could have told me that my ereader was
full! but at least, if it happens again, I shall start with removing some
Thanks for your time
f.y.i Finder is the Mac equivalent of Windows Explorer. It was Windows Explorer that you got to using 'My Computer'.
It would be more helpful if ADE gave accurate and sensible error messages.