3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 5:42 AM by Peter Spier

Exporting anchored images with style effects ruins carrige returns in PDF

M-Core35

I've tried to find something similar to my problem without result so now i'm here, I will explain what happens and hopefully a brilliant mind might have an answer, so here goes.

I have my doc with a text box ellement, I have anchored an image into the text so that it will flow when the text is moving around, thats all well and good.

Now I like that image to fade out eg. at the bottom, so I add a style effect - directional feather. Looks good.

Here is the problem, I export it for PDF I have also added tags and exporting it with tags so screen readers can read it.

what happens is this:

The raw text is this:

se6usrusr srrs rs rsurSoluptatectis endandi volore eveliquaecte dolorro essit, escitiatiant lam, illent porent apeligenist, ipicit quidund ipidebitia ipsam fuga. Nem dipsamenis et aped et eos is ea ipsamus adit ratecte ndigene officae. Ut audisinis aceatum quiandit veles a dolum volore, sitatus eriore, sustrunt

and that ends up like this:

se6usrusr srrs rs rsurSoluptatectis

endandi volore eveliquaecte dolorro essit, escitiatiant

lam, illent porent apeligenist, ipicit quidund

ipidebitia ipsam fuga. Nem dipsamenis et aped et eos

is ea ipsamus adit ratecte ndigene officae. Ut audisinis

aceatum quiandit veles a dolum volore, sitatus eriore,

sustrunt

As you can see it have now added carriage returns to every single line, which is kinda wierd, if I remove the style effect I will end up with this:

se6usrusr srrs rs rsurSoluptatectis endandi volore eveliquaecte dolorro essit, escitiatiant lam, illent porent apeligenist, ipicit quidund ipidebitia ipsam fuga. Nem dipsamenis et aped et eos is ea ipsamus adit ratecte ndigene officae. Ut audisinis aceatum quiandit veles a dolum volore, sitatus eriore, sustrunt

So after taking a closer look in the PDF I see that from the content foldout:

Without effect I have this:

Page 1

- annotations

- container <figure> PathImage (48): w:111 h:84

- Path

- Image (48): w:111 h:84

And with the effect added I have this:

Page 1

- annotations

- container <figure> PathImage (58): w:111 h:84

- Form XObejct (59): PathImage(58): w:111 h:84 

- Path

- Image (58): w:111 h:84

So when you add effects to an anchored image and exporting to PDF it makes forced line breaks and without effects it works fine

Why can't I have effects to my image without it gets ruined when converted to PDF?

• 1. Re: Exporting anchored images with style effects ruins carrige returns in PDF
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure what you are expecting. PDF is a final output format, not really intended for editing or text reflow, so it's not unusual for text to be broken into fragments. Since we can't see your page I can only presume there is some sort of wrapping around the image goin on to cause this.

Is it affecting the way the screen reader reads the text?

• 2. Re: Exporting anchored images with style effects ruins carrige returns in PDF
            M-Core35 Level 1

test_anchor.jpgThe part on the left is page 1, there is a text box with an anchored image with text wrap and a directional feather effect, it is tagged in the structure window and exported with tags. that works fine, the text does not get carriage returns at the end of every line.

Image on the right has 2 anchored images in the text with same effect as above and same deal with tags. that turns out wrong, the end of the text lines have an carriage return added to it.

If I then remove the effect, you get the correct text flow again.

So the anchored images it self is ok no matter where in the text block they are placed, but when you add an effect something goes wrong.

And yes it affects screen readers allot, it will read the text as there is a carriage return on every line, and it sounds wrong when there is a pause that shouldn't be there.

Atm I can only remove the effect to make it work, if you have pages with multiple images.

• 3. Re: Exporting anchored images with style effects ruins carrige returns in PDF
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't have an answer for you. It sounds like a bug if it's OK with one image, but not two. Perhaps Dov Isaacs will have something to add.