16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 1:43 PM by A.T. Romano

moving frames

adobenewbie123 Level 1

Feeling a little Tarantino, I was wondering if it is possible to do the following in Adobe Premiere Elements 10.  If I shrink the size of the frame from a specific clip, to about half the size of the window, is there a way to make this smaller frame move from left to right.  Then on a second video track I wanted to so the same but make  it move in the opposite direction, from right to left, passing underneath the frame moving the other way.

Thanks for your time!

• 1. Re: moving frames
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, it's very easy to do -- if you understand how to create motion path keyframing.

Place one clip on Video 1 and the other on Video 2. Right-click on each and select Show Properties and open the Motion properties, where you'll find settings for Scale and Position. Click on the Show Keyframes button in the upper right of the corner of the Properties panel then click on the Animation toggle.

Once you do that, it's simply a matter of creating a beginning and end keyframe set for each clip -- one that shrinks and goes left to right, the other that goes from right to left.

I do cover a lot of these kinds of effects in my Premiere Elements special effects book, if you're interested.

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks11.php

• 2. Re: moving frames
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve G. on this.

Do note that the Video Clip on Video Track 2 (or the highest), will always appear "on top," so you will want to plan that, when dragging your Video Clips to a Video Track. The material on the lower Track will be "behind," and the material on the higher Track will be "on top." Just something to plan for.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: moving frames
              A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

What are these clips....video or still?

ATR

• 4. Re: moving frames
                adobenewbie123 Level 1

Thanks to both of you for giving directions.  Just clarify, these are video clips and I want to shrink to half the size of the frame so I am hoping that both tracks can be shown simultaneously.

• 5. Re: moving frames
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

It then appears that you want two parallel portions of your view. So, when you talk about 1/2 the size of the Window, you are referring to half top-bottom and not half right-left.

SG advice is well taken, using keyframing of the Motion Panel expanded's Position property for the movement, right to left or left to right.

I imagine that you want the clips to run at the same rate, so you might consider keyframing one to your requirements and then basing the keyframes for the second on those of the first, keeping in mind the reverse direction.

I will be back later with an example unless you tell me that you are OK with the information as is.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: moving frames
                    adobenewbie123 Level 1

An example would be great.  Thanks ATR!

• 7. Re: moving frames
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Today I tried to turn my interpretation of what you described into a split screen video.. The following is the result that I just uploaded to YouTube

http://youtu.be/JxNkNS_9z1Q

The approach is to define a way to keep the two halves in sync as the Bottom one moves from right to left and the Top one moves from left to right.

It took a lot of consideration getting two videos in the screen so that neither was squashed. It took some cropping and viewing area selection to get something reasonable for me.

Once you have the two halves in place on screen and have Properties Palette/Motion Panel Expanded/Position property opened so that you see the Position values  xxxx.x (for right/left or left/right) and to its right xxxx.x (for up down or down up), our focus is going to be on the value to the left, the right/left or left right one.

1. Move the Top half to the right out of the way.

2. Working on the Bottom half, note that the Position values, in this example 360.0, 418.7. That 418.7 is constant for us since you will be working right/left and left right, not up down down up. With the mouse cursor, select and drag the Bottom half to the right to the point where it just disappears off screen. Note the new Position value set. Here it was 1080.0, 418.7. If the 418.7 moved while you were determining the 1080.0 value, just type it back in. Now with the mouse cursor, select and drag the Bottom half to the left to the point where it just disappears off screen. Note the new Position value set. Here it was -360.0, 418.7.

Again, if the 418.7 moved while you were determining the -360.0 value, just type it back in.

3. At this time, move the Timeline Indicator to the start of the Timeline. We want the video to move from right to left so.....

(a) In Motion Panel expanded/Position, type in the set 1080.0, 418.7.

(b) Click on the Toggle Animation icon to initiate the keyframing process.

(c) Move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the Bottom half clip. Type in the Position set -360.0, 418.7.

4. Render the Bottom half. It is done.

5. Move the Top half back in place directly above the Bottom half. Select the Top half and have its Motion Panel expanded open to view the Position values. Here they were 360, 171.9. We want the video to move from left to right so.....

(a) Move the Timeline Indicator to the start of the Top half and, for the Motion Panel expanded/Position set, type in -360.0, 171.9

(b) Click on the Toggle Animation icon to initiate the keyframing process.

(c) Move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the Top half clip. Type in the Position set 1080.0, 171.9.

6. Render. It is done.

Though specific numbers may vary, do you see the scheme in this?

a. each half will have it characteristic up down down up Position value which will stay constant for its half. In this case Top half has 418.7 and Bottom half has 171.9.

b. the Bottom half right left position value is going to be the same as that of the top but just reversed because of the different direction that the videos are going in.

Please check out the above to make sure I have my rights lefts and everything else going in the right direction.

Please let us know the results. Success or back to the drawing board. For the viewer I am not sure of the effectiveness of such an effect, but you may have the key.

ATR

Great precision in the move, but only if that is the effect sought. If not, back to the drawing board.

The YouTube demo had Time Stretch 300% applied to each half to speed up the movement.

• 8. Re: moving frames
                        adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey ATR,

I was out of town so sorry for the delay getting back to you.  I am going to use your response a template for the settings and give it a shot.  I was unable to access your example because it just takes me to a youtube login screen.  But this was still extremely helpful and I appeciate you taking the time and neing so thorough:)  i'll let everyone know how I make out.

• 9. Re: moving frames
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Thanks for the follow up as usual. We will be looking forward to your results. But...

The link that I posted above should open to YouTube where you can click the play button and get playback for my little demo.

That little demo mesmerizes me (as the two videos do their precision drill) everytime I watch it.

It may not be watch you were looking for but it was interesting working on it.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: moving frames
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

When I click on your URL, or Copy/Paste it into a browser, I get the YouTube/Google sign-in screen. When I sign in with my YouTube/Google account, I am taken to my page.

Did you Copy/Paste your personal URL, or the one for the public?

Hunt

• 11. Re: moving frames
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Back in a moment. I will check this out further.

ATR

• 12. Re: moving frames
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Please check out this link for my demo video.

Hope that works.

ATR

• 13. Re: moving frames
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

If this new link

works

Could you go back to my post 7 and change the link to

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: moving frames
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you.

That link worked, just fine.

Hunt

• 15. Re: moving frames
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Done.