3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 3:51 PM by Steven L. Gotz

100fps footage in 25fps sequence?

Philip Colmer Level 1

Hi

I've just started experimenting with footage taken with a GoPro Hero3 Black. PPro 5.5 is correctly identifying the footage I've taken as 100fps and I've got a few questions about using it in PPro in the best way:

• I'm currently using an HDV 1080i25 project. Is this the most appropriate preset or should I use a different one or create my own settings? If the latter, what would the recommendation be? Ultimately, I want to watch the footage on a TV but it could also be displayed ona computer. I'm not sure, for example, if I should be using 1080p or if I should be using an editing mode that supports square pixels (e.g. AVC-Intra).
      • Since the GoPro footage is being captured at 100fps, does that mean I can set the clip speed/duration to 25% and not suffer any quality loss? If not, is there a way to get PPro to slow the footage down without any re-interpretation of the frames?
      • In the export testing I've done, I'm using the HDTV 1080p 25 High Quality preset. This outputs 1920x1080 PAL 25 fps, de-interlaced. However, when I play the footage back on my computer, it *looks* as if some interlacing has been introduced somewhere because the frames look as if alternate lines are missing. What have I done wrong with the settings to result in this lower quality output?

Many thanks.

Philip

• 1. Re: 100fps footage in 25fps sequence?
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

You may be the 'point-man' tester for this workflow.

First off, what version of Premiere are you using?

• I'm currently using an HDV 1080i25 project. Is this the most appropriate preset or should I use a different one or create my own settings? If the latter, what would the recommendation be?

What exactly are the specifications (aside from fps) of the media?

If it is progressive, you should work in a progressive Sequence.

• Since the GoPro footage is being captured at 100fps, does that mean I can set the clip speed/duration to 25% and not suffer any quality loss? If not, is there a way to get PPro to slow the footage down without any re-interpretation of the frames?

¯\(°_o)/¯

The best method might be determined through testing.

I wouldn't rule out After Effects for this job.

If you have a clip you can post for download,

I (and others) might be able to better advise in this regard.

I have an upcoming project where the client plans to shoot similar video,

so I have a vested interest in how this works best (I'm in NTSC land).

• In the export testing I've done, I'm using the HDTV 1080p 25 High Quality preset. This outputs 1920x1080 PAL 25 fps, de-interlaced. However, when I play the footage back on my computer, it *looks* as if some interlacing has been introduced somewhere because the frames look as if alternate lines are missing. What have I done wrong with the settings to result in this lower quality output?

You first point describes a "1080i25 project" (interlaced).

If your footage is progressive, this might be the cause.

If you can't post a clip for testing,

you should post a screenshot or two of the media file attributes:

GSpot

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

MediaInfo

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Media Inspector for mac

http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

• 2. Re: 100fps footage in 25fps sequence?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. No hdv is not a good preset because it uses a 1.33 PAR.

Pick a 1080p avc intra or avchd preset.

2. drop the clip in the timeline and drop the speed to 25%

This will give you an excellent slomo.

But is the 100 fps not 1280x720?

Then a 720p would be a better setting for the sequence.

3. Depends on the final  product.

For pc you can use a hdtv 1080p preset you will find that under H.264

• 3. Re: 100fps footage in 25fps sequence?
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If you slow down the footage by changing the speed, you will not get as good as a result, based on my experience, as you would from interpreting the footage as being 25fps. That way every frame is shown as it was shot, but at a slower speed. No dropped frames or interpolation.

I suggest that you use a DSLR 1080p project setting. Regardless of the setting, if you interpet the footage to be 25fps, then you drag and drop the clip on to the "New Item" button in the Project panel to get an appropriate sequence. Just make sure you change the interpretation first.