3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 8:33 AM by femftal06

InDesign CS5 Empty Field

femftal06

I am building a data merge file in InDesign for a personalized salutation on a note card and not every card will have every field - leaving me with several blank fields before the "," and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get rid of them.  I have searched extensively in the forums and online and the only solution I found for a problem similiar to mine did not work.  (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1072055)

This is what the pertinent part of my file set up looks like:

Dear <<owner1first>> <<and>> <<owner2first>>,

Not every entry has two owners, leaving the <<and>> and <<owner2first>> fields blank.  This means on those records my output looks something like this:

Dear Mark   ,

Searching for three or four spaces results in "0 results found".  Searching for the <feff> character will find each field character, even the ones that aren't blank, so I can't replace them with anything.  Copying the resulting space into the GREP find field comes up with ~I~I~I~I~I and won't find any results either. 

If anyone has any thoughts I would greatly appreciate it as I run in to this issue every few months and having to manually delete the spaces is getting old.

Thank you!