12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 7:24 PM by A.T. Romano

How do you get good quality photos on a DVD for viewing on a TV?

Bill&Dee

How do you get good Quality Photos on a DVD for TV viewing?

• 2. Re: How do you get good quality photos on a DVD for viewing on a TV?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill&Dee

You apparently posted duplicate threads. I will respond in this one and ask a moderator to remove your latest one. Duplicate threads are confusing for the person asking the question as well as for the person trying to help. Often the person asking the question loses value input in the go between in that case.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the pixel dimensions of your photos?

You realize that whether you are targeting DVD-VIDEO Standard or Widescreen on a DVD disc, the frame size is going to be 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL). That is due to the DVD-VIDEO standard, not Premiere Elements flaw.

Are you in a PAL or NTSC program set up?

Depending on your computer resources, your Premiere Elements version, and other factors, you may be able to stretch the suggested "do not exceed" limits for photo sizing for a SD or HD project. Some can, many cannot not then have to resize or batch crop and resize as indicated by the aspect ratio of the photo 3:2 vs 4:3 vs 16:9. How many photos will be involved?

Project settings are important. Some have suggested other than the NTSC (or PAL) DV Standard or Widescreen (for versions earlier than 11) or the 1080i30 (for version 11). And, we can discuss them in relation to whatelse is going into your video presentation for which you are using some version of Premiere Elements.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do you get good quality photos on a DVD for viewing on a TV?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the answers to ATR's questions, I have one more, please:

Do you have the capabilities to burn your PrE Project to BD (Blu-Ray Disc), rather than DVD-Video?

If so, your quality, when viewed on an HD TV will be greatly improved. If not, and DVD-Video is the best that you can output, then be sure to see ATR's comments about the quality.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do you get good quality photos on a DVD for viewing on a TV?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill&Dee,

Looks like you are trying to post from a POP e-mail client, and none of your text is coming through. If you can access the forum via a Web browser, you can then respond, and we can see those responses.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How do you get good quality photos on a DVD for viewing on a TV?
                Bill&Dee Level 1

Make the process easier to understand and there will not be duplicates.

Elements 11 Windows Vista Home.

They vary from 4 to 12.

I was not considering that Elements had a flaw, but that I might not understand how to obtain better quality since there are no manuels and the only ones I have were not published by Adobe and they are not great, good but not great.  And yes I was aware of the NTSC standard.

I am a NTSC.

There are 140 to 1200 photos involved depending on the DVD I am producing.  I have made twelve in the past thee months and they vary in size but are all the same quality on a TV.  When they are viewed on a COmputer the quality is much better.

And for the other question I can produce in Blue Ray format however the people viewing the DVD's do not have Blue Ray DVD players.  Will that be a problem?

I am sorry about the use of email but everyone else I have software from does not have a problem.

Bill O'neal

• 8. Re: How do you get good quality photos on a DVD for viewing on a TV?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

And for the other question I can produce in Blue Ray format however the people viewing the DVD's do not have Blue Ray DVD players.  Will that be a problem?

Yes. If the clients/recipients do not have BD players, but only DVD player, a BD will be useless to them.

That said, working in an NTSC DVD (probably Widescreen), will be as good as it gets.

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions, in general, that you are using?

As ATR points out, the ability to Import overly-large Stills, and let PrE Scale them, will be limited by the power of one's computer.

Let's take the extreme case of 1200 Still Images. If those are direct from the camera, say 4000 x 3000 pixels, then you will need a super-computer to handle those. However, one can use Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements to batch Scale entire folders of Images in minutes. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2119226#2119226

Good luck, and I also agree that the Adobe Forums could be easier, and especially for the new user. We discuss that all the time, and things are improving, though not enough, and not quickly enough.

Hunt

• 9. Re: How do you get good quality photos on a DVD for viewing on a TV?
                    Bill&Dee Level 1

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback and will look into your information.

Bill O'Neal

• 10. Re: How do you get good quality photos on a DVD for viewing on a TV?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill O'Neal

Please excuse if I write something that you are already aware of, but I do not want to take anything for granted.

1. If you have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit, you are working with a 32 bit application. It is Premiere Elements 11 in Windows 7 or 8 64 bit which is the 64 bit application that gives the advantage of the program being able to take full advantage of the 64 bit resources. That translates into typically getting a larger project taken to completion more often than in a 32 bit system.

2. The size of the photos and how many photos all factor into just how far you can stretch the recommended "do not exceed" limit for photo pixel dimensions. For SD, you will see not to exceed 1000 x 750 and for HD not to exceed around 2200 x 1238 (16:9). And, how many of these photos also impacts the prognosis for project success. There are those using Premiere Elements 11 in Windows 7 or 8 64 bit and writing about using huge size RAW image in their projects with great success. But then again there are others who have problems in this regard and lose work when the program crashes because they have overlooked the photo oversized for project factor. You probably have to find your own limits. No problems, proceed; if not, batch resize or batch crop & resize (depends on whether you are resizing 4:3 to 4:3 or 16:9 to 16:9 versus 4:3 to 16:9). Some import the photos into a project and scale them in the monitor to resize them. Again, if your system permits, fine. If not, do the batch resizing or batch cropping/resizing beforehand. Remember, focus on the pixel dimensions and maintaining the aspect ratio in doing this, not file size of the photo. It does not necessary hold that the higher the resolution that you import, the better the results. And photos oversized for the project may compromise your system resources.

3. Next, the project. .it would be handy if I had some pixel dimensions for your photos and knew if you were heading for DVD standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9...but here is one scenario for oversized photos heading for DVD-VIDEO widescreen.

(a) If you have photos with pixel dimensions in access of 1920 x 1080, either leave them as is if you can get away with it or resize or crop/resize, and set manually the Premiere Elements 11 project preset at NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30. Import your photos sized or not as indicated above. Render the Timeline content. What does that look like in the Edit Mode Monitor?

(b) I have always used jpg photos in this type of project and have gotten excellent results. I do not so many Save As on those jpgs. Some perfer to import the photos in a .psd format which is supposed to avoid any degradation associated multiple Save As.

If video is involved in this project, then that needs to be factored into the decision making on project presets and setting Field Options. So, your further details will help fine tune matters.

Please review and then let us know if any of that worked for you. Remember, mini test run before the grand project.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do you get good quality photos on a DVD for viewing on a TV?
                        Bill&Dee Level 1

Thank you very much.  Yes, some of the info I was aware of.  I was not aware of the Windows vista not process in 64 bit.  I have never changed to Windows 7 or 8 because I did not need it or didn't think so.  Now I know better and will upgrade.  I have also queried everyone about having BD and all but one does so I am  going to start burning in BD.

Again thank you for all the input, it has been very helpful.

Bill O'Neal

• 12. Re: How do you get good quality photos on a DVD for viewing on a TV?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill O'Neal

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but I will offer that Premiere Elements 11 Mac will also be a 64 bit application running on Mac 64 bit.

But proceed with caution if you detour over from Windows to Mac. Premiere Elements 11 Windows and Mac are very similar but there are differences where Premiere Elements 11 Mac ends up on the short end in view of several "Windows Only" items.

Success with your projects.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR