Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC works in .hlp but not in .chm

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2007 Oct 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Robohelpers,

1. I'm working on an old project in X5. I normally output .hlp but I'm making the switch to .chm because of Vista. I generated Microsoft HTML help (.chm). When I click on any topic in the .chm's TOC, that topic does not display. (However, I can access all topics with index or browse sequence.)

I am running RHX5 in Windows XP Pro.

2. Also, I use conditional tags to produce two different .chm outputs and I need a different TOC for each one. How can I do this?

Ted

P.S. I am grateful for this forum, esp. to Peter Grainge whose solutions have gotten me out of several jams.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the CHM on a network drive? Move it locally.

If that is it, see the topic on my site under Authoring.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Peter.

The .chm is on my local D drive, not a network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the TOC in RH, are the topics showing with a red X?

There is a way of getting two TOCs but let's focus on getting one to work first.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No red X's, the TOC appears normal both in RH and in the .chm.

In RH the TOC works fine, i.e., I can click on any topic and it opens in my project.

In the .chm I can open and close TOC books. If I use the browse sequence or index to move to a topic, that topic is highlighted in the TOC. So it appears the TOC "sees" which topic is being viewed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a new project and put in just a couple of topics with a TOC.

Same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created new project with new TOC and it works ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close your problem project. Copy (not move) the HHC file to some other location.

Reopen the project and delete all the TOC entries, then create a few new ones.

Do they work OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Peter, the problem appears to have vanished and I don't know why! Here's what happened before the problem vanished.

1. I closed Robohelp.
2. In Windows Explorer I renamed the faulty problem help project folder.
3. I installed latest version of the app for which I'm writing the .chm. I installed it into the same path as the .chm.
4. I opened Robohelp and changed the HTML_Help to the primary layout.
5. I generated the .chm. Presto, the TOC works, in XP and in Vista. Problem solved...I guess! 🙂 I will certainly let you know if it returns! Have a great weekend and thank you for everything! Ted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp