13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 9:31 PM by sarhunt

Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application

JerGuy2327abc Level 1

I would greatly appreciate help with this, I have scoured the adobe forumns and google and am unable to find a solution.  I am trying to download Adobe Edge Animate from the creative cloud desktop application (PC) and it gives me this error

!Installation Failed - Learn More

When I click on learn more it says

Installation failed

Errors encountered during installation.(7)

More information

However the more information button does not do anything when clicked.  I have had no problems installing my other application, updates and trials with the creative cloud desktop app. 

I have ignored this issue for weeks but I have reached the point in a work project where I need to use the program.  The Desktop application is up-to-date and I even tried disabling my firewall/antivirus but it made no difference.

Few other details:

I ran the adobe cleaner for CS6 programs before installing the creative cloud. 

The program fails at 51% Installation.

Please please please help. Thank you for any information you have and any time you can dedicate to this issue I am having. 

• 1. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
          JerGuy2327abc Level 1

Almost 40 Views so far.  Can someone point me in a helpful direction please

• 2. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
            Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Edge Animate forum as this error appears to be Muse specific.

JerGuy2327abc I am not familiar with the specific error you are experiencing but I would recommend beginning by reviewing your installation log files.  You can find details on how to locate and interpret your installation log files at Troubleshoot install issues with log files | CC - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/troubleshoot-install-logs-cc.html.  Please feel free to post any specific errors you locate within the installation log to this discussion.

• 3. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
              sarhunt Adobe Employee

Hey JerGuy,

Can you try these steps to see if you can get Animate to successfully install?

1) Uninstall any existing versions of Edge Animate.

2) Quit and relaunch your Creative Cloud app

3) Try and install Animate CC

Also which OS are you on?

Thanks,

Sarah

• 4. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
                JerGuy2327abc Level 1

Thank you Jeff, I followed your directions and may have found the issue yet I do now know how to resolve it.

Some Background:
                When I first installed the Creative Cloud Desktop Application a couple weeks ago I had my main hard drive partitioned into  C: and  D:. 

Because of limited space of my C drive I changed the application install directory (in the Desktop App preferences) to D:.  Despite this it was still installing all the programs to the C:/default path. 

I had posted concerns about this on the forumn after trying restarting and reinstalling yet nothing worked. Despite it listing D: as the install directory it would not install there.

So finally I just decided to unpartition the drive back to only C:  Prior to the unpartition I was transfering the conents of D to a seperate hard drive and I changed the preferences back to C: in the Desktop app. 

As I was waiting for the files to transfer I decided to start a trial install (as the transfer was taking a while.)  Pushing me over the line of frustration into amusment it then proceeded to install to my D: drive.  At this point it was just doing the opposite of what I wanted.  Regardless I continued with the unpartition and all the applications I have downloaded installed fine since then to my new larger C drive. 

When I looked into the error log for the Edge Animate I noticed this

08/09/13 15:21:39:504 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 4300 |  - 0 fatal error(s), 1 error(s)

08/09/13 15:21:39:504 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 4300 | Win OS version: 6.1.0.0 64 bit Type: 1

08/09/13 15:21:39:504 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 4300 |

08/09/13 15:21:39:504 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 4300 | ERROR: DW041: INSTALLDIR Volume D:\ doesn't exist.

08/09/13 15:21:39:504 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 4300 | Please search the above error string(s) to find when the error occurred.

08/09/13 15:21:39:504 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 4300 | These errors resulted in installer Exit Code mentioned below.

08/09/13 15:21:39:504 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 4300 | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08/09/13 15:21:39:505 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 4300 | Exit Code: 7 - Unable to complete Silent workflow.

08/09/13 15:21:39:505 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 4300 | Please see specific errors for troubleshooting. For example, ERROR: DW041 ...

This issue just wont leave me alone. 

As I mentioned before the install directory has been set back to C since before the unpartition and all the other programs have installed fine.  Are there somewhere that secret preferences are stored?  This is all the more unbelievable as I prior to reading your instructions I uninstalled the creative cloud desktop app, ran the adobe cleaner for any pre-CC applications as well as a registry cleaner and reinstalled the Desktop App and tried again.

Thank you very much for directing me to the reason for the error, can you help me figure out why the CC Desktop App is doing this?

• 5. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
                  Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

JerGuy2327abc please try the steps offered by Sarah in message #3.  The steps she has provided has allowed other Muse users to resolve their difficulties.

Looking at the portion of the installation log you have posted it does not appear that the DW041 is a fatal error.  You will also want to verify that the preferences for the installation location in the Adobe Creative Cloud application is set for the default location.

• 6. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
                    sarhunt Adobe Employee

I'd also recommend doing a santiy check on permissions for your D:\ partition as well. We've seen issues with Animate where users try to install/save to read-only sections unaware their access was blocking application access. Seems obvious but it trips up more users than you might think

Sarah

• 7. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
                      JerGuy2327abc Level 1

Thanks again for the reply Jeff.  In my previous post I thought I made it pretty clear I had the installation directory set to the correct location.  To clarify it is set to install in the default location, nothing was changed since I have successfully installed the other applications, it is just Animate that is looking to install in that directory.

• 8. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
                        JerGuy2327abc Level 1

Can you clarify what a santiy check is, I have never heard of it before.  And there is no D partition, I stated that I UNpartitioned it so it is only a C: drive now.  Sorry if I did not make it clear. 

Started with C and D

changed installation directory to D

programs still installed to C

Uninstalled programs from C

changed installation directory back to C

programs installed to D

uninstalled from D

unpartitioned, now only C remains

all programs except animate installed correctly to C

This is obviously some kind of bug with the CC Desktop app. 

My question is where is it telling animate to install to D?  It is not the preferences in the CC Desktop App.  D does not exist.

• 10. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
                          sarhunt Adobe Employee

Hey Jeremy,

Sanity check just means to check for the sake of your own santiy

Apologies for the issues you're running into, thanks for sticking with us while we try and help.

AN 2.0.1 is designed to overwrite any previous AN installs. I'm wondering if the 2.0.1 is picking up some old data from when Animate was installed on your D:\ drive at one point in your machines lifecycle, and trying to overwrite into the same directory (which doesn't exist anymore).

I saw you ran the cleaner tool, have you done so to specifically target Animate? Let me know if you've tried the following steps:

• Uninstall all instances of Edge Animate
                          • Run the cleaner tool and clear all instances of Animate
                          • Check C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Edge Animate and delete that folder if it still exists.
                          • Quit and restart your Creative Cloud app
                          • Install Animate

Let me know if you've tried these steps, and if not give them a shot. It's past 5 on a Friday so I'm limited in the immediate term who I can reach out to for help, but my instincts based on the log you provided lead me to believe this might be the problem

Sarah

• 11. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
                            JerGuy2327abc Level 1

Haha, thanks Sarah.  :-)  I really appreciate the prompt responses and effort of trying to solve this.

I cannot complete the first 2 items on your list because it is not installed nor listed in the cleaner as being removable.

For the third bullet I have checked and there are no Edge Animate folders in any of the Appdata roaming or local folders, including common files. 

Obviouslly I have tried the last 2 items quite a few times.  Animate always fails at 51% install.

I have not had animate installed since I uninstalled all of CS6 weeks ago, ran the cleaner and unpartitioned D.  It was never able to reinstall after that. 

Thinking back now on the uninstallation of CS6, Animate MAY have been uninstalled improperly.  It wasn't listed in the uninstall programs location, I believe I deleted the folder, which may have been why I originally ran the cleaner prior to any CC installations.  I also have Windows 7 Manager which I ran and cleans up odd files and registry information quite well.  With that said I have looked, unsuccessfully, for any trace of the program still on the computer as well as the registry.  If there is something there I don't know where it would be or if it is even this that would cause this.  I have a feeling it is the same issue as whatever was causing CC Destop App to incorrectly install the programs in the first place.

I figure it should work as simple as this... Change the preferences for install location > MAYBE restart the CC app although this shouldn't be necessary > programs install to the new location. 

Unless there is a link I haven't found that rubs a magic lamp where a secret genie comes out who then gratfully grants the wish of being able to change the installation directory correctly then I'm not sure what could be causing it.

Also In an effort to play into this sick game of incorrect directories I tried changing the install location to a different drive, to no avail.

If there is an animate file on the computer somewhere conflicting with the new install I have no idea where it would be or what it would be.

Thank you so much for you assistance, it is really awesome there are people to help.

• 12. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
                              JerGuy2327abc Level 1

"AN 2.0.1 is designed to overwrite any previous AN installs. " 

That may be the statement of the evening, thank you very much.

I ran the cleaner tool again and instead of selecting CS6 applications (Which is the group of programs I had installed together with AEA 1.5), I choose the CC applications and there was a listing for AEA.  I cleaned it and it installed successfully!

THANK YOU SARAH!  Thank you too Jeff!  I really appreciate the time you put into this.  I'm sorry it didn't occur to me to look in the CC installs as AEA CC was never installed.

<3

• 13. Re: Installation Error (7) Adobe Edge Animate - Creative Cloud Desktop Application
                                sarhunt Adobe Employee

And we all lived happily ever after

Awesome, glad you got it working! Thanks for your patience and assistance while we helped diagnose the issue. I'll be sure to escalate this on our end, this is a case we should be handling for the future.

Sarah