5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2013 9:12 PM by Sergey Khitrin

.lrplugin as a single file?

Sergey Khitrin Level 1

Hi All,

I noticed that some of the plugins shipped with LR are actually single file of semi-binary structure (not just compiled lua files) - examples are Flick & Facebook publishing services.

What is this format? How one can build plugin into this format - just no to ship archive with dozen .lua files?

BR,

Sergey

• 1. Re: .lrplugin as a single file?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I believe these plugins are provided with the LR distribution and are loaded by some internal Lua loader within LR.   I haven't seen any explanation of how to build them.   On the other hand, there's no big downside to providing your plugin as a zipped folder rather than as a single binary file.

But perhaps someone else knows more...

• 2. Re: .lrplugin as a single file?
            DawMatt Level 3

Hi,

As John has mentioned the approach to building these is undocumented. I suspect if you look at them using a resource editor they will be some kind of resource bundle.

Whatever they are, they are Windows specific and a way of mimicing the way a .lrplugin appears on a Mac. As far as I can tell there is no real advantage to publishing a plugin this way (only a cosmetic benefit) but there is a definite downside because you must separately publish and manage your Windows and Mac plugin variants. This is the main reason I haven't bothered looking into this any further.

Matt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: .lrplugin as a single file?
              Sergey Khitrin Level 1

Thanx for the replies, guys!

Actually, my curiosity is mainly because Adobe found some advantage of this kind of packaging. Indeed, having the pluging shipped as single file is appealing. Also, it offers additional protection and integrity of the package.

However, if this is certain that single-file-pluging is Windows-specific packaging - not really worth the efforts in investigation.

Sergey

• 4. Re: .lrplugin as a single file?
                DawMatt Level 3

Sergey Khitrin wrote:

However, if this is certain that single-file-pluging is Windows-specific packaging - not really worth the efforts in investigation.

I'm certain of this. It is not an issue for Adobe because they have to create OS specific installers anyway. The approach is less useful for us plugin developers who usually don't need to release OS specific versions of our plugins.

Matt

• 5. Re: .lrplugin as a single file?
                  Sergey Khitrin Level 1

Thanx, Matt,

In this case - no reason to investigate this any longer.

BR,

Sergey