6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 9:01 PM by thanser

Minimize PS AND the Open File

thanser Level 1

I don't really care for "tabs." I'm used to having open files placed randomly within PS.

So I uncheck this feature in preferences. 

BUT, this means when you hide/minimize PS, the open file remains visible.  Is there no way to minimize open files at the same time as PS?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Minimize PS AND the Open File
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Do you mean documents in Floating windows when you write "Open Files"?

• 2. Re: Minimize PS AND the Open File
            Level 5

thanser wrote:

…this means when you hide/minimize PS, the open file remains visible…

Hehehe…  you must be on Windows.     That's just impossible on a Mac.

As a matter of fact, you can only minimize the floating window on a Mac, not the Ps application.

• 3. Re: Minimize PS AND the Open File
              thanser Level 1

Not Windows, no.

This is Mac OS X 10.8.2. I've been using PS for 15 years and I can't remember it doing this until I started using CS6.  I don't care for "tabbed" files, so I uncheck that in preferences. 

Let's say you have a file open, floating in the PS workspace.  Hit the yellow minimize button (or double-click the title bar) to minimize or hide, and the file remains there.  Seems strange.

Doesn't minimize mean EVERYTHING?

It does it on my MBP, also. 

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?  I have to hit minimize TWICE to see what's behind PS.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Minimize PS AND the Open File
                Level 5

Make sure you don't have the confounded "Application Frame" checked in the Window menu of Photoshop.  It's on by default in CS6, and it makes your Mac behave like a Windows box in this regard.

ApplicationFrame_menuitem.png

• 5. Re: Minimize PS AND the Open File
                  Level 5

Also, use the F key repeatedly to cycle through the screen modes to make sure you are on "Standard Screen Mode".

• 6. Re: Minimize PS AND the Open File
                    thanser Level 1

Fixed it.  Props go out to Station Two.

I guess I can't even remember what CS5 looked like - you get used to the UI after a short while but it was driving me crazy to have to minimize both PS and the open file.

And for your exclusively Mac snobs out there, I use both platforms HAPPILY. 

Some stuff I do just on a Mac, and web graphics I tend to do on a Windows 7 machine. When you're contracting a lot, you don't always get a choice of platforms.

Thanks, everyone.