18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 5:34 PM by natalina_au

I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.

natalina_au

I am having trouble getting sound when importing video clips into Premiere Elements 10.  Is someone able to offer me a solution as I have no idea what I have done to cause this to happen. 

The clip has sound when opened with windows media player.

Thank you

• 1. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video footage coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Are you able to get volume when you add a WAV audio file to your movie?

• 2. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Along with the answers to Steve's questions, have you allowed PrE to Conform your Audio, before you start editing? For more detail on Conforming Audio, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3305940#3305940

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
              natalina_au Level 1

Thank you for your reply Steve.

The clip I am referring to was taken from a still camera and it is imported as an avi file format.      I have used these before and have had no problem.

The problem started when I was working on a video and I accidently pressed a wrong button and auto analysed some clips.   From that point these AVI clips have ceased to work. 

Since reading your email I have tried adding other clips that are unrelated and they work fine.   Also when I add a song there is no problem

My camcorder is a JVC Full HD 1920 x 1080.  It does not appear that there is a problem with clips from my camera only from the ones taken with the still camera even though it tells me in properties there is both an audio and video file.   It is 640 x80.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day

Judy

• 4. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wrapper Codec & Format, with 2 links inside to read

-read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

IF your video from a still camera is MJPEG... read below

MJPEG http://forums.adobe.com/thread/730396

You mention still camera with no brand/model information... so I added these links

- problems with Samsung codec http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699493

- and Fuji http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015922

• 5. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

natalina_au

Could you get a MediaInfo properties readout for the problem ".avi" file(s)?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

A readout from gspot would also be helpful.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

With the gspot utility, besides noting the video and audio codec name and status, please check out the Container section on the left side of the readout to see what it shows.

You wrote that you had 640 x 80. I am assuming that was a typo and should be 640 x 480.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your video is most like MJPEG video, which Premiere Elements doesn't work with work, and that is most likely causing your problems.

Does anybody know of a workaround for MJPEG-AVIs?

• 7. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

What is telling you that this is a MotionJPEG problem?

But, if it is, in answer to your question:

Does anybody know of a workaround for MJPEG-AVIs?

What worked for those with the MotionJPEG codec syndrome that I have worked with in the past has been:

a. downloading and installing the Morgan MotionJPEG codec...it is not free...but, if the tryout works, then consider purchase.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/morgan_m-jpeg_codec.cfm

or

b. convert the MotionJPEG.avi into another format (...do not know properties of source media here, but if appropriate MotionJPEG.avi to DV.avi with MPEG Streamclip or Prism).

Since I have been visiting this forum more frequently, I notice that Hunt typically starts with checking out the camera's utilities. Never went that route. What I described above has worked for me 100% so far.

ATR

• 8. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I notice that Hunt typically starts with checking out the camera's utilities.

You are correct. For a very long time, we saw the Morgan and MainConcept MJPEG CODEC's working very well, and with a lot of MJPEG's from various cameras. Back then, the MJPEG CODEC use was not that widespread. Like your experiences, one of those two "generic" MJPEG CODEC's did the trick.

MJPEG is an old CODEC, that almost disappeared from the scene, and then a few camera mfgrs. ressurected it, especially for still cameras, that also did video. Nikon was one of the first common adopters.

Over time, it became more popular with camera mfgrs., but they began tweaking it, to get better quality and still keep file size pretty small. More mfgrs. adopted it, and each applied their tweaks. That was when we started seeing more users, with different camera's MJPEG, where the standbys, Morgan and MainConcept were not working. As most mfgrs. did include their tweaked version of MJPEG, somewhere on the camera's utility disc, I began recommending that the user first try the mfgr's. utility disc, where the exact MJPEG CODEC will usually install in one of three ways: it might be a separate file w/ installer on the disc (not as common, as I feel it should be), it might install with the camera's driver (this would be my second choice, were I writing the utility disc), and then the most common way - when one installs the editing, and/or cataloging software program (this is the most common, and requires that the user install other software, that they might never use, just to get the exact CODEC installed). To date, this has worked 100%. However, there are probably still millions of cameras out there, where the Morgan, or MainConcept MJPEG CODEC will work perfectly - if not, then the camera's utility disc will probably have the exact CODEC required. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4079377#4079377 You will notice that initially, I was first recommending Morgan or MainConcept. That worked well for quite a while. Then, when more mfgrs. adopted that CODEC, I added the information on installing from the camera's utility disc.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 9. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Although the odds are good for the MotionJPEG.avi being involved since ".avi file" and "still camera" are stated as being in the mix,

video properties before and after the onset of the issue have not been offered yet.

The "worked before but not now" and any possible involvement of the AutoAnalyzer feature need more definition.

Looking forward to natalina_au's follow up.

ATR

• 10. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You are correct that the AutoAnalyzer seems to be part of this problem.

We will just have to wait and see.

Hunt

• 11. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                              natalina_au Level 1

Thank you for your response ATR

I am sorry I have taken so long in responding but I am new to Premiere Elements, this being my second movie I have ever attempted, so it has taken me a while to try and work out how to get the information together.   There is still a lot that I don’t understand but I am slowly working my way though it and no doubt will have a lot more questions in the future.

I have the media information that you asked for

Container and General Information

AVI:  250MiB, 3mn 425

Overall Bit Rate:  9 455Kbps

1 Video Stream  JPEG

1 Audio Stream ADDCM  (CCITT)

First Video Stream

9 355 Kbps  640 * 480, at 30,000 fps JPG

First Audio Stream

88.2 Kbps,  11.025 KHz,  8 bit, 1 channel, ADPCM (CCITT) (U-Law)

Kind Regards

Judy

• 12. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                                natalina_au Level 1

Hi Steve,

After reading everybody’s responses I am feeling a little out of my depth.  Being new to this I am having difficulty in understanding a lot of the information given to me and also in the information you require from me.  It appears that one thing I should never do is mix film from two different cameras.  I would really like to fix this one particular clip though as it holds an interview that was taken when leaving Coober Pedy and something that I don’t want to lose.

I have today done some research on the camera that took the offending video clip.   It was a Samsung S85 and according to the Samsung website it uses MJPEG video format.

Here are the specifications as per the Samsung website.

Camera Type

Ultra-Compact Point-and-shoot Digital Camera

Image Quality

Image Sensor

1/2.5" 8.3 Megapixel CCD

Effective Resolution

8.2 million pixels

Color Depth

24-Bit RGB

Color Modes

Normal, B/W, Sepia, Negative, Red, Green, Blue, Custom Color

Image File Formats

JPEG (Super Fine, Fine, Normal)

Recorded Resolution

8M (3264 x 2448)

7M (3264 x 2176) - 3:2

6M (3264 x 1824) - Wide

5M (2592 x 1944)

3M (2048 x 1536)

1M (1024 x 768)

Video Recording

AVI Motion JPEG with Audio

640 x 480 @ 30 or 15 fps

320 x 240 @ 30 or 15 fps

Clip length limited only by available memory

5x optical zoom available during video record

Audio Recording

WAV format (monaural)

I downloaded and installed Media Info and Morgan Multimedia MJPEG Codec V3.99.108 today.  Do I have to register it to get it to operate?  I read the documentation file that came with it hoping to find a clue as what I should do but I could not comprehend the information it contained.

Thank you and other members who have responded to my plea for all the help you have given me.

Judy

• 13. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Judy

Thanks for the follow up and your helpful information.

Just to be sure, are you saying that videos from your camera (same settings as always) are not working in Premiere Elements whereas before they or their kind were working before?

For troubleshooting purposes, could you see if you can convert these files into DV.avi standard using the free version of Prism.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html

Look for the following on the NCH/Prism web page, right column

Looking forward to your results. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                                    natalina_au Level 1

Once again thank you for your patience and help ATR,

Can you please tell me how to get video properties after the onset?

I imported the clip into the timeline and I set about editing it.   The sound was working fine but the video was a bit jerky,  I was trying to find a way to fix this and experimenting with programme features when a window opened and it was Auto Analyzer.   Once it started I let it run though.  I am a little unsure as to what happened after this but I think there were a lot of blue vertical lines running through the clip and I opted to fix the problems.   From that point I have not been able to get sound.   The audio bar that usually shows the black sound waves is pale green up the top and darker green on the bottom with a single yellow line just below half way.

Sorry for being so vague but I am really unsure of what and how I should give you the information you require.

Judy

• 15. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                                      natalina_au Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thank you so much for the link to prism.   I downloaded the programme and converted it to a .dv file and IT WORKED  (If I could put a smiley face here you would see a huge one)

You, Steve, Hunt and John are all legends.    I can’t thank you enough for all the information you have given me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

Judy

• 16. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Judy,

I think that you have given the necessary information in your last several posts. From it I am understanding that:

a. your video has MotionJPEG video compression and audio mono with .wav file extension (audio compression probably is

ADPCM (CCITT) (U-Law).

That MotionJPEG codec should be on a free tryout basis, so I would not suspect that you would have to register for anything. Did you use it at all and did you see any improvement in your situation?

Before proceeding further, I would like you to make sure that you have the AutoAnalyzer feature in your Premiere Elements 10 turned Off to get that factor out of the way. To do that, in the Premiere Elements workspace, click on Organizer in the top right sector of the interface in order to open the Elements Organizer. In the Elements Organizer interface, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media-Analysis and turn off all the options there. To get back into the Premiere Elements workspace, from the Elements Organizer workspace, in the Elements Organizer workspace, click on File Menu/Exit.

I am assuming that you are using the Premiere Elements 10 project preset = NTSC DV Standard and importing your MotionJPEG.avi into the project with Get Media/Files and Folders. When you drag the video to the Timeline, if you see a red line over the video content, are you pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard? If so, does the red line turn green and is playback of video and audio OK or not?

Please start a new project to check all this out.

If you see no improvement in your present situation, you might want to see what video conversion can do for you, that is, converting the MotionJPEG.avi into DV.avi using the free version of the Prism converter mentioned in my prior post.

Thanks again. All your information was very helpful.

ATR

• 17. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Judy,

Sorry for the long prior post. I posted it not seeing your wonderful news of success with converting your file to DV.avi with Prism. Great work.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

We are so very pleased with your news and knowing that you are moving forward with your project.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR

• 18. Re: I am having trouble getting sound on video clips I have imported into Premiere Elements 10.
                                            natalina_au Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thank you for this information it was most helpful as I was not aware that the Auto Analyser could be turned off.

No I did not use the Motion JPEG Codec.  When I opened it I did not understand what I should be do so I went into the documentation section hoping to find some instructions but alas the information it contained was of a technical nature and more than I could comprehend.

I have learnt some valuable lessons about converting and resizing which I will put into practice and I still have a lot of information to read though so no doubt after I have done that I will have learnt a lot more.

Once again many thanks to you and all your colleagues for helping me.

Judy