18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 6:34 PM by A.T. Romano

"Save" freezes.

h m shantz

Recently Premiere Elements "Save" stalls at 41% of the file

• 1. Re: "Save" freezes.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This usually indicates a resource issue or too many stray tmp files on your drive.

Which version of the program are you using and what operating system are you running?

How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free space is on your C drive? When did you last run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter?

• 2. Re: "Save" freezes.
            h m shantz Level 1

Thanks for such a speedy response

• 3. Re: "Save" freezes.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

h m shantz

Since you wrote "recently" in the description of your issue, can we assume that this is a "it worked before but not now" problem?

Also, I do not see the following information in your initial thread question nor in your follow up to SG. So, I am curious about:

a. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system? (Already asked by SG)

b. What you have on the Timeline as source media: video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, aspect ratio, duration and the like?

c. What have you or the program set as the project preset for this project?

d. What are the details of this export (save) that freezes at the 41% mark? Share or Publish+Share/Computer/? including preset and settings under the Advanced Button of the preset selected?

We will be watching for those details in your response to SG's questions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: "Save" freezes.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

hm shantz

I see that you have replied to SG and myself, but I do not see a message in the Replies.

Are you having a problem posting a reply? Is your problem solved?

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: "Save" freezes.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

h m shantz,

It appears that you are attempting to Reply via an e-mail POP client. The text of your posts are not showing.

Can you access the forum via an Internet browser, so that we can see your Replies?

Thank you, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: "Save" freezes.
                    h m shantz Level 1

Problem with "Save" is not resolved.

Problem with "posting" might still also be open.

Answering emails is great. "Posting" still eludes me . 

Appreciate your patience

• 9. Re: "Save" freezes.
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, we can't help you without detailed answers to our questions, HM.

• 10. Re: "Save" freezes.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

h m shantz

Good to hear from you.

Consider this. If you can post a message such as you did in your post #8, you have gotten the system under control. You do not have to add screenshots at this point. Just the printed words.

Now all you have to do is do what you did in post #8, but add lots and lots of details of your problem. There are lots of reasons why your export is failing at 41%. But we need the information requested to sort out the factors that are causing the problem.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: "Save" freezes.
                          h m shantz Level 1

Premiere  Elements 10 running on OSX 10.7.5 

Speed  2.75HGz,  Ram    4 G      C  1T  don't know usage

Never done any Disk management on this 1 year old system.

In March 2013 I did a show on the "new" MAC with the "new" Premiere 10 and all was well.   I opened that file today, made a change, and refiled it with no problem

a. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system? (Already asked by SG)

Premiere  Elements 10 running on OSX 10.7.5 

Speed  2.75HGz,  Ram    4 G      C  1T      don't know usage

Never done any Disk management on this 1 year old system.

"Test" show is just 5 JPEG images with no sound or video. "stalls' during Save

The "save" issue is just to save to a file. Not yet to Share stage.

ALSO Can't open a new file from the Welcome Screen. It churns loading user information and never does open.( I got into the habit of opening a little  "junk" project and modifying it.)

• 12. Re: "Save" freezes.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

h m shantz

Thanks for the helpful information. We have a start. For now we can focus on getting the 5 JPEG images saved and then work on any video special considerations after that. This lets us eliminate several factors to get to the core of the issue.

When you went to save, what did you use Share/Computer/? or were you referring to Share/Disc/?  a burn to disc, DVD, AVCHD, or Blu-ray?

In the export area, what are you setting for the save location, your Movies Folder or something else?

ATR

• 13. Re: "Save" freezes.
                              h m shantz Level 1

It was a new project using "Save as" so it could be opened later and finished.

It started saving then got to "loading personal - -  " and froze.

Also still have the problem with th Welcome Screen yhat expain the later problem with saving.

Thanks

• 14. Re: "Save" freezes.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

h m shantz

Apologizes for misinterpreting your posted details. In reviewing your thread, I realized that I kept reading your "saving" as in export rather than just saving the project.prel (project) file. These matters typically go to system resources.

Premiere Elements 10 on Mac is still a 32 bit application with the limitations of 32 bit. It is my understanding that it is Premiere Elements 11 on Mac 64 bit that is a 64 bit application and can take full advantage of the 64 bit resources.

So, let me go in this direction first. Have you looked to see where you have the program's Scratch Disks directed? If not, please check out Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks for where these files are being saved to and how much free space is at that location.

Can you enter the new project dialog for a project? If so, what does it show for the "Save In" field for the project? How much free hard drive space is at that location?

When you do your workflow using the Save As, what location is that Save As going to?

Hoping that this line of questions target the issue that you present

a. Saving a project.prel

and

b. Being able to open a new project

If I am still not on target for what you are asking, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: "Save" freezes.
                                  h m shantz Level 1

I can't get past the Welcome Screen.

When it comes up, the marching ants over the "gathering User Info" text start scrollling.

they do not stop.

If I then click on "New Project" a second army of ants start scrolling.

After quite a while the "New Project" parade stops and the "New Project" words reappear.

The parade at the bottom continues.

The project edit screen never appears.

As I said before I got into the habit of avoiding the Welcome screen by opening an old project from  Movies/DVD/projects folder,      and then modifying it.

When I add a slide and then click "File>Save As"   the scale indicates 41% saved and then freezes

• 16. Re: "Save" freezes.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

h m shantz

Still thinking about your situation. But have something for you to look into.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I will need your help translating my Windows information into Mac.

In Premiere Elements Windows, you can bypass the Welcome Screen altogether. You can do that in the following way.

1. Right click the Premiere Elements icon on the desktop and select Properties. In Properties, click on Open File Location.

2. That takes me to

Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 11\Adobe Premiere Elements 11.exe.

3. Right next to the Adobe Premiere Elements 11.exe file there is the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file.

4. Create a desktop shortcut for the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file for your computer desktop and use it to open the program, bypassing the Welcome Screen. Get the older icon out of the way to avoid confusion.

Please let us know what you find when you look at your setup for Scratch Disks and anything that would influence the resource situation of your computer.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: "Save" freezes.
                                      h m shantz Level 1

I found a "workaround" past the Opening Screen a bit simpler than your suggestionn but who cares,  - - - it works..

Thanks for your help. The project for my grandson is burned and he will have it on Labor Day.

Thanks again

Murray

• 18. Re: "Save" freezes.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Murray

Congratulations. Great news. "It works" is the key thought and great news.

But, you caught my curiosity, when you said simpler than my suggestion. What worked for you?

I applaud you on your personal achievement getting the project burned to disc in spite of the setbacks along the way but also for your creation of a family treasure that will be appreicated by your grandson and all..

Good job.

ATR