10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 6:08 AM by Feeze-Frame

Playback freezes after about a second

Feeze-Frame

I have Premiere Elements 11 Installed running on an iMac 27" i7 3.4 GHz with OS X Lion 10.7.5 (at very latest patch level), 4 GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3 with

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB with 215 GB of Flash Storage (Primary Boot Device for OS and Applications) and 1 TB SATA for Primary Data Storage.

Premiere Elements 11 ran well for some time, and without any issues.

Without me having done any change in the environment, it stopped working properly during the playback of a clip.

• I would Render the clip, and then it plays about a second of the clip, and then stops the playback.
      • From then on the Play, Step Back, Rewind and Fast Forward buttons fails to work, with only Go to Previous Edit Point and Go to Next End Point still working. 
      • I can still edit the clip, but playback fails to work.
      • Hit the render button, and it does nothing.
      • Share the video (expot to different formats), and althought it then seems to re-render the clip, it only renders the frame (freezeframe) where it initially stoped playback.
      • The file looks workable but if you press play it only shows the one frame for the duration of the entire clip and then stops, so if the clip has 19 seconds of material on it, it would show you the 1 frame where it got stuck, for 19 seconds.

I have run some searches, and could not yet see others of the same type. So I tried a fiew things.

• I verified whether I had the latest version of Elements 11 - and I did.
      • I verified wither I have the latest OS update from Applie - I did.
      • I suspected a corrupt application file, so I dropped Elements in the recycle bin, emptied the bin, then restored a version of the application from a backup that was taken when the app was still running without error (a week ago) - no change.
      • I then uninstalled the application using adobe's uninstaller, then rebooted and downloaded the software again and re-installed it, checked for new versions - it was the latest, started a new project, imported a new video file - hit render (which renedered, yet playback again stopped - same issue as before.
      • I have checked hard disk drives for directory or file anomalies - all fine - no issues - same problem
      • I have check free space - all hard drives are only used about 50%

Hardware is absolutely fine, other video programs quch as quick time works perfectly, incl Apple iMovie (which I am not a fan of)...

Any ideas / anyone else having this issue?

• 1. Re: Playback freezes after about a second
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You've covered most of the resource issues.

But what about your source video? What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

If this is non-camcorder video -- say it's FRAPS video or from an on-screen recorder -- that could be the problem.

• 2. Re: Playback freezes after about a second
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Feeze-Frame

Just some questions after you have answered SG's questions.

Where are the gray tabs of the WorkArea Bar when you are stuck at the first frame of your Timeline video?

When you are in the export area at one of your export choices, do you have a check mark next to Share WorkArea Bar Only?

Notice any differences in Playback Settings accessed by right clicking the Edit Mode Monitor and selecting Playback Settings?

I am strictly an Elements Windows person so I am coming from that perspective.

Have you tried flushing the preferences? Not sure of the location of the file comparable to Premiere Elements Windows' Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. Since SG has Mac and Windows Premiere Elements, maybe he could help us with that idea?

And, please confirm that the problem persists even if

a. other source media are used (either same or different formats)

b. you open a new project

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Playback freezes after about a second
              Feeze-Frame Level 1

Hi Steve

It has the same problem from various sources, including:

• A Sony GW55VE Camcorder, AVCHD format ver.2.0 compatible:MPEG4-AVC/H.264 - MPEG2-PS:MPEG-2 (Video) - MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264and full HD:1920x1080 - video from this camcorder fist demonstrated the problem
              • A Samsung Galaxy Note II phablet, running Android - very latest, shooting full HD 1920x1080 in mp4 format

Thanks for looking into this.

• 4. Re: Playback freezes after about a second
                Feeze-Frame Level 1

Hi A.T.

• The grey bars are not restricting movement it is spaced on either side of the content.
                • Share Work Area Bar Only is not ticked.
                • I tried all options in Playback settings... no difference
                • Please see graphic example where the clip gets stuck from a GUI perspective.

Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 23.52.31.png

(also it does this in quick mode as well as in expert mode)

I have closed the applications, flushed preferences and restarted the application... No change

I have managed to start a new project - that had it running but it soon freezes as before.

Regards and thanks for your ideas and thoughts

• 5. Re: Playback freezes after about a second
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Feeze-Frame

When you did that screenshot, where was the mouse cursor sitting? That vertical white line around 48 seconds caught my attention and could be accounted for if your mouse cursor was position at that level but out of sight.

If you move that video to the right so that it starts at 24 seconds from the start of the Timeline, will the Timeline Indicator and playback still get stuck at 5 seconds from the start of the video?

If it does, expand the Timeline with the -+ slider and look for very thin vertical black lines in the beginning sections of the tracks from which you have cleared away the video.

ATR

• 6. Re: Playback freezes after about a second
                    Feeze-Frame Level 1

Hi ATR

Thanks for the advice and ideas.

I think that the vertical white line basically just shows where the mouse pointer last was relative to the time line, and if you move it from the editing window to the viewing window, it retains its last known position on the time line.

None the less - I implemented your suggestion.

• Even if I move the clip further down the timeline, the playback stops about 1-4 secons after I hit play. Even if I move the clip 60 seconds back from the starting line, playback stops while the the playback position is running through the empy space prior to reaching the new starting time of the clip.
                    • If I move the blue cursor that shows the current playing point to anywhere else in the clip, it plays for about 1-4 second and then freezes as before.

Clearly the playback freezes regardless of where it is in the content stream.

I have also discovered a new unexpected feature... The problem seems to be intermittent - if I open a few other clips, and play them, and return to the previous clip, it may run for some time and then freeze. After it has then frozen once, it freezes consistently after 1-4 seconds.

It is also worth noting that it freezes in quick mode too, regardless of timelines.

So there you have it - an intermittent issue.

I have bad to use iMovie in the meantime, which works without issues.

It is beginning to look like a bug in the application...

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Regs

FF

• 7. Re: Playback freezes after about a second
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Samsung Galaxy Note II phablet, running Android - very latest, shooting full HD 1920x1080 in mp4 format

Problems with Samsung codec http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699493 may help

• 8. Re: Playback freezes after about a second
                        Feeze-Frame Level 1

Hi John

Thanks for the link. In this particular case, exactly the same error, as I described above, occurs when editing videos that exclusively come from a Sony Camcorder's Codec.

In this case a Sony GW55VE Camcorder, AVCHD format ver.2.0 compatible:MPEG4-AVC/H.264 - MPEG2-PS:MPEG-2 (Video) - MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264and full HD:1920x1080

• 9. Re: Playback freezes after about a second
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Feeze-Frame

It is "AVCHD format ver 2.0" that catches my attention.

But, are you saying that your issue of play back freezing exists even if we take the video with "AVCHD format ver 2.0" out of the equation?

ATR

• 10. Re: Playback freezes after about a second
                            Feeze-Frame Level 1

Affirmative - it happens regardless of codec type and source camera.

Also the same clips run smoothly in iMovie when edited there, so the clips themselves appear to be working fine.

In addition it seems to be somewhat intermittent.

Regs and Thx

FF