12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 4:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Codec?

flight5050

Back again with another question...

My sister visited recently and left me her camcorder...she asked me if I would make a family video from the footage on it. I agreed, however I didn't realize the file type her camcorder recorded in - .MOD. When I plug my camera into my computer and attempt to play the raw files, all I get is audio but no video. Is this a codec issue? It's a Windows 8 computer.

I don't know much about codecs, but I believe you can download the correct codec to fix this? If anyone has any suggestions of a reputable download, that would be great. (Downloading the correct codec wouldn't mess up my current registry of codecs though, would it? If that makes sense.)

And even if it is a codec issue...can these files even be edited in Premiere Elements 11, once the codec issue is fixed (if it can be fixed)?

The camera is a Panasonic...I believe it's this one: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SDR-H40

• 1. Re: Codec?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

flight5050

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your Premiere Elemens 11 on Windows 8 64 bit?

I believe that your video uses the MPEG2 video codec/compression with that .mod file extension (which represents the wrapper for the video and audio compression).

Are 4:3 or 16:9 mod files involved? Are you transferring these .mod files to a computer save location and playing them back from there? What are you using for the player?

Mod files have a long and often problematic history with regard to Premiere Elements.

Sometimes, you need to rename just the file extension from .mod to .mpg before you import the file into the Premiere Elements project.

The worse problem relates to .mod widescreen 16:9 which presents in Premiere Elements as if it were mod standard 4:3. What you do in that case is the following:

a. Use the DV Widescreen project preset for the project.

b. When the file is in the media area, use Interpret Footage to change the aspect ratio to D1/DV NTSC Widescreen or D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587).

c. When back in the workspace, use Motion Panel expanded/Scale property to get rid of any trace black borders.

Bottom line: With those .mod files, you may have to change the file extension or change the file extension and use Interpret Footage in Premiere Elements.

We will be watching for further details.

Thank you.

ATR

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Codec?
            flight5050 Level 1

A.T. Romano,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Ah, I see...I googled that codec in regards to Windows 8, and I found this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-pictures/cant-view-files-in-mod -format/fff2e5fd-91ea-4b70-8068-6487b55c55e8

So I guess I do need to install a codec pack for these files? If so, would downloading one interfere with my current registry of codecs, if that makes sense?

I know this is a stupid question, but how can I find if the files are 4:3 or 16:9?

I was attempting to view the video files directly from my camera via Windows Media Player. I plugged my camera into the computer, and when the files came up, I double-clicked a few to see if they would play in Windows Media Player.

Thank you for those instructions on the workaround for 16:9...very glad to know I might could get these files to work in Premiere Elements.

Pardon my next stupid question, but for clarification...is it just the 16:9 .mod files that Premiere Elements has trouble with, or is it the 4:3 as well?

• 3. Re: Codec?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>install a codec pack

WARNING - WARNING - WARNING !!!

Some people who have installed codec packs have wound up having to format their hard drive and install EVERYTHING fresh

Read Hunt on Using MOD/TOD files http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699990

• 4. Re: Codec?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

flight5050

Please hold off on downloading and installing any codecs or codec packs just yet.

Do you have QuickTime (latest version), Windows Media Player 12, and VLC Media Player on your Windows 8 64 bit along with your Premiere Elements 11?

Download and install the free MediaInfo to get a properties readout (tree view) for your files (any files). It is a great program for letting you know what you have to deal with.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Mod 4:3....if the file imports fine. The aspect ratio should be fine. If you have any problems with the import, then rename the file extension ONLY of the file from .mod to .mpg. I have never seen .m2t suggested for this purpose as remarked in John T. Smith's reference. Users have been using .mod to .mpg for year when necessary. High probability it will not be necessary.

Mod 16:9....Here is where you might have the file extension issue (stressing MIGHT), but you will definitely have the Aspect Ratio issue, that is, your 16:9 presenting as 4:3. You already have my details on that.

More later. I have at least one .mod widescreen file around. I am going to take it over to my Windows 8 64 bit and see what problems, if any, I have with it on Windows 8 64 bit with Premiere Elements 11.

GIve me an hour or less.

To be continued...

ATR

• 5. Re: Codec?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

flight5050

For now I do not believe that you have to involve yourself with codec packs and the good and bad of it.

You should have Windows Media Player 12 installed on your Windows 8 64 bit. Your .mod widescreen and .mod standard should play back on that without any problem. It does here and I did not add any special codecs to my Windows 8 64 bit.

The .mod widescreen and .mod standard will import as is into Premiere Elements 11 installed on Windows 8 64 bit which also has installed QuickTime latest version and Windows Media Player version 12.

I am going to download and install the VLC player to see if that will give you an extras player.

I did find that, if I used "Video" app or Windows Live Movie Maker with this type of file, the file would not be accepted. But, right now I do not think you need this.

Will be back soon with more news on possible adding VLC Media Player to your video tools in Window 8 64 bit.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Codec?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

flight5050

I gave up on the VLC player download when I got hit with 2 invading softwares during the download. Cleaned my computer of the works and calmed down my antivirus.

As I said before I think that you should be alright with using the Windows Media Player 12 if you need to playback your mod files (standard or widescreen) and you should be able to import them into Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit where you can edit and convert them, etc.

The link that you provided says that Windows 8 64 bit's Window Movie Maker, Windows Media Player, and the Video App will not play the mod files. I agree on that for Windows Movie Maker and VIdeo App, but not Windows Media Player12 that I have. It came with the laptop so it is not a special add on. Please check it out and see the results in your specific computer environment.

I would hold off on the codec pack for now until you decide what you need to get your video projects done without creating other distracting problems.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Codec?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Flight 5050,

If the CODEC "pack" is from MicroSoft, then it is probably useful and benign. The caveats on CODEC packs stem from the various packs available on the Internet, usually free, and not from a major corporation, like MicroSoft, Black Magic, TechSmith, MainConcept, and a few others. Where needed, those do not fall within those WARNINGS.

Once, MS automatically installed ALL of their various CODEC's, along with the OS. Then, about the time of Vista, they started including them only on certain versions of Vista, or via a MS download and install. Some users would get them all, if they had, for instance a "Media Edition," or maybe a "Pro" edition of the OS, and the rest had to go to MS to get the CODEC's, often included in a CODEC pack.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Codec?
                        flight5050 Level 1

To all: My internet connection was out due to a storm, geez. Just now getting caught back up with everything, I'm sorry for my lateness while you all were so prompt with your help. Hopefully, that won't be happening to me again anytime soon.

A.T. Romano: Wow. Thank you for going above and beyond to help me with my question. Turns out I didn't have the latest Quicktime installed; I installed it, and that seemed to do the trick. I am now able to import my clips into Premiere Elements no problem, and they seem to be playing on Windows Media Player 12. Luckily, my internet connection going out on me prevented me from installing any codec packs. Thank you once again for your help, I really appreciate it.

John T. Smith: Thank you so much for the warning, I had no idea installing codec packs could have those kind of repurcussions.

Bill Hunt: Thank you for the information, I didn't fully realize the dangers of the free codec packs not from major corporations. I will definitely seek out packs from the corporations you mentioned next time, if the need arises.

• 9. Re: Codec?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

flight5050

Great news.

Thanks for the follow up which is important to all.

Thanks for letting us be part of the assistance.

ATR

• 10. Re: Codec?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news that you now have everything needed to Import and edit your footage.

As for CODEC "packs," here is a bit of background:

Most are benign, but not all. Some contain all sorts of nefarious things, like keyloggers. However, even the benign ones can have a few "bad habits." Some install a lot of junk (some of that does not play well with Adobe programs) in the system. Many contain hacked, or reverse-engineered versions of commercial CODEC's, and will overwrite those commercial versions, for their, not so good versions. Even if they do not overwrite the commercial CODEC's, many will alter the priority order of other CODEC's, in the Registry. This is one reason why Adobe tries to hide its CODEC's, like the MainConcept MPEG CODEC - they want to protect your investment. However, even by hiding their CODEC's, they cannot protect the priority order, and than can get changed.

Because of the potential for problems, I give such CODEC packs a wide berth. I have many CODEC's, that I have paid good $ for, and use quite often. I do not want some "free CODEC" overwriting any of those. Also, the CODEC's, that I have, all work with all of my Adobe programs. I do not want to chance having some "rogue" CODEC messing up my success.

Just my thoughts on CODEC packs from other sources besides MS, Apple, Black Magic, TechSmith, MainConcept, and a few more. Also, I do not want to scare one away from some great free CODEC's, such as Lagarith, or UT Suite. Free is not necessarily bad, as there are some great CODEC's on the Internet, that ARE free - but not all free CODEC's are good.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Codec?
                              flight5050 Level 1

Bill Hunt: Thank you for the great information about codec's...I'm glad I posted here first before installing a random one to try to fix things. I understand now why I should be wary of the free ones; I really didn't know much about codec's, as you can probably tell, but I do feel like I have a better understanding now. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

• 12. Re: Codec?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

When folk first get started in video, they soon discover the somewhat "abstract" concept of CODEC's for playback. At that level, one is usually concerned ONLY with the playback capabilities, so free CODEC's work pretty well - so long as there are not "hidden secrets" in the download.

Then, when they get involved in video-editing, CODEC's become a way of life - no escaping them. It's at this point, that things become a bit dicey, as different NLE programs come with specific CODEC's, but seldom all that one needs. Some of the free versions interfere with the operation of the NLE - and it differs by NLE.

One can never know it all, since new CODEC's are frequently introduced, and some companies will really tweak and existing one, to the point that it's basically a different one.

Good luck,

Hunt