9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2013 8:07 PM by A.T. Romano

DVD burning error in Premiere Elements 11

Yoofdursh

I recently filmed a friend's memorial service for their family.  I have footage from two different cameras that I have edited in Premiere Elements 11, for the purpose of making a DVD of the service.

I run into a problem when I try to burn the project to a DVD.  The burn goes a short distance (at most 5%) then pops an error that reads:

internal software error:.\win\Primo\primo_command.cpp, line 124

I have tried making sure that all other programs are shut down (to the best of my ability - antivirus won't completely shut down, but can be put into a mode where it won't do any background activity).  I've rendered the project into AVI and loaded the AVI file into the timeline.  No matter what, I keep getting shut down at that same point.  When it occurs, my DVD drive disappears from the machine and I have to restart the machine to get the drive back.

I've checked and I have the most current firmware for the drive.  I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium on a Dell laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas what this error message means and how to correct this?  The service was about a month ago and I'd really like to get this finished up and handed off to the family.

• 1. Re: DVD burning error in Premiere Elements 11
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please give us detail on the following:

1. The Source Files - you mention AVI, for the second attempt, but can you go into much more detail about those AVI files?
          2. The Project Setting that you chose?
          3. The Duration of your Timeline?
          4. The hardware speces, and especially the I/O (HDD) sub-system w/ the amount of free-space, the number and speed of your HDD's, their controller type, and how you have them allocated?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: DVD burning error in Premiere Elements 11
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Yoofdursh

Do you have any software named Primo installed on your computer or did you at one time?

Is this problem one "it worked before but not now" or a problem "it never worked before"?

Where exactly does the burn to disc DVD stop...if you are watching the burn progress bar....

a. Encoding menus

b. Encoding Media

c. Compiling

d. Burn

From what you wrote it sounded like only when you got through a, b, and c and arrived at d (burn) when you received the error. Is that correct?

I will ask the classically question, can you successfully use burn to folder in the burn dialog if you cannot burn to disc DVD?

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: DVD burning error in Premiere Elements 11
              Yoofdursh Level 1

1. The original source files were (unfortunately) different formats.  One was captured from a MiniDV tape as an AVI file, 720x480 dimensions, 29.97 frames per second.  The other was taken from a digital camera in AVCHD format, 1440x1080 dimensions, also 29.97 frames per second.

I edited the footage together in Premiere and dumped the result out to an MPEG file, 720x480, 29.97 frames per second.  I then started a clean project file with the rendered copy, added in chapter marks and menus and tried to burn, getting a failure.  I saw a troubleshooting document on Adobe's site that suggested rendering the project as an AVI and swapping the rendered copy into the timeline (to retain any chapter marks), so I tried this out, resulting in a new AVI file that is 720x480, 29.97 seconds.

2. Project settings are at DV NTSC, 29.97 frames per second, 720x480.  Pixel aspect ratio is "D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)".  All of these options are greyed out, so I can't select anything here.

3. The timeline runs 1:34:41:24.

4.  As I said, it's a Dell laptop.  Inspiron, with an Intel Core i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz.  8GB RAM, with a Seagate 750GB hard disk (299GB currently free, I can easily free up probably 30 more just by deleting excess renders of this project, which I was holding off on until I had a better idea of how to proceed).  SATA 3Gb/s, 7200RPM, with a 16Mb cache.  There's only the one HDD.  The DVD burner is marked in Device Manager as a PLDS DVDRWBD DS-6E2SH SCSI.

If additional information would be helpful, let me know and I'll answer as best as I can.

• 4. Re: DVD burning error in Premiere Elements 11
                Yoofdursh Level 1

1. Seeing as how this machine was purchased from Dell and they preload a bunch of stuff, I can't say with 100% certainty that I don't, but I'm not aware that I do.  I can't find anything in the system that appears to be named Primo.

2. The problem is more of a "it's never worked", since I just bought Premiere Elements four days ago.

3. I get through both of the encodings (I never noticed the Menus version go by, just Media) and compiling (which occurred at 99% completion of the encoding process) and it switches over to burn.  The first time I saw the error occur, after it switched to burn, there was a pause and I saw the bar jump to about 5%.  It sat there for a while, then jumped to 20% and displayed the error message.  It did not stop the processing, but continued to sit in burn (and without moving the completion bar or percentage at all) until I hit "cancel".  The drive light was not doing anything at this point.  A couple of times, I had it display 1% completion, pause, then jump up to the 20% and the message.

4. I can burn to folder in the burn dialog, but I don't believe I have a way to do anything with this folder once it's created.  The only things I have for burning to a disc would be Premiere Elements 11 (resulting in this post), a starter copy of Roxio Creator (which did not like the MPEG version of the project I originally created and really restricted what I was able to do for menus and the like), and the Windows DVD burning utility (which I've never used and have no familiarity with, but appears to be more for data DVDs than movie DVDs).

• 5. Re: DVD burning error in Premiere Elements 11
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>starter copy of Roxio Creator

That may be your problem... read after Imgburn... You have a folder a folder on your hard drive so use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a disc... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

• 6. Re: DVD burning error in Premiere Elements 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Yoofdursh

Thank you for your helpful information.

If you have the burn to folder feature working then you can get this immediate project done and then work out the burn to disc problem.

This is the solution to get your DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc with what you have working at the present time...

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

and in the burn to: select Folder (4.7 GB) and designate a save location for it.

Download and install the free ImgBurn software and use that to take the VIDEO_TS Folder in the burn to folder to a DVD disc in DVD-VIDEO format (with required disc File System). The following is a popular online how to.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

The link for the download should be included in this above link.

Basically

1. Open ImgBurn and click on "Write files/folder to disc".

2. In the dialog that opens, select File Menu/Browse for a source folder. Navigate to the VIDEO_TS Folder (only it), select it, then hit Select Folder to enter it into the program.

3. Then hit the Build button at the bottom of the dialog.

There are settings that you can look through. But, the program takes over and does the essentials for you, offering messages at times as it directs you through its program.

This will work great for you to get you through your project which you want to get out sooner rather than later.

Please let me know if you see any problems with this plan.

While you are doing that I will see what I can find about this Primo Software program which you say you do not have.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: DVD burning error in Premiere Elements 11
                      Yoofdursh Level 1

Thanks for the tips on ImgBurn.  I did download and install it, but interestingly enough, had what appears to be the same issue.  In the log that ImgBurn created, it says:

I 19:27:51 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 5,540 KB/s (4x)

I 19:27:51 Optimal L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1,351,120

I 19:27:51 Optimal L0 Data Zone Method: IFO Cell Boundary

W 19:28:08 Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Failed! - Reason: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

W 19:28:08 Device Removal Detected!

W 19:28:08 The device list will be refreshed at the next available opportunity.

W 19:28:17 Waiting for device to become ready...

I 19:28:27 Abort Request Acknowledged

W 19:28:27 Retrying (1)...

E 19:28:27 Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Failed! - Reason: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

E 19:28:27 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:38

I 19:28:27 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

I 19:28:27 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

W 19:28:27 No devices detected!

The most frustrating thing is that I *HAVE* burned DVDs (and CDs) on this drive before.

Might have to use a flash drive, move that VIDEO_TS folder to another machine, and do the burn there to get the disc burned for the family.

Edit: should also mention that once again, the DVD drive has disappeared from the machine.  It doesn't show up in Windows explorer or Device Manager.  It will be back once I restart the machine, though.

• 8. Re: DVD burning error in Premiere Elements 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Yoofdursh

Any chance you know someone with an USB external DVD burner that you could borrow?

But, if you have access to another computer where you can install ImgBurn, your transfer of the VIDEO_TS Folder there for putting on the DVD disc sounds like the most practical solution under the circumstances.

I will see what I can finding on disappearing DVD burners. Thanks for the follow up.

To be continued.

ATR

• 9. Re: DVD burning error in Premiere Elements 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Yoofdursh

I am in the process of googling for known solutions for your type of issue.

I found this one

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/dvd-driver-disappe aring-from-my-computer-and/5125cc87-07dd-48f0-8917-64fba8271eb0

The solution went from replacing the burner with an external one to replacing a loose screw.

More later.

ATR

Maybe of interest

http://www.guidingtech.com/1874/cd-dvd-drive-missing-from-my-computer-in-windows/

Any possibiity that your antivirus is related to this? What happens if you disable it?