6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2015 7:16 PM by zevendesign

Balance ragged lines not working

Eadig Level 1

Hello

I am trying enabling Balance Ragged Lines for a heading with no luck. I use the panel menu button in the top right corner and the paragraph styles panel but either way the feature does not work. Could someone out there please desribe the steps to make the feature work in detail for me? I have followed every step given in Adobe InDesign CS6 Digital Classroom..

Regards,

Ead

• 1. Re: Balance ragged lines not working
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How many lines are in the heading? I'm not sure that it works with less than three.

Is that the Classroom In a Book? Which lesson? I don't think I have the CS6 version, but it might be the same procedure in CS5 and I can check the lesson for errors.

• 2. Re: Balance ragged lines not working
            Eadig Level 1

Thanks for the message. It is from chapter two of the book published by AGI:

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-InDesign-CS6-Digital-Classroom/dp/1118124065/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF 8&qid=1376220708&sr=8-5&keywords=Indesign

It instructs you to enter "Fending off the winter blues with cross-training" in a text frame as a headline.

The sentence is just about two lines long in the frame. Entering more lines just truncate the sentence and the lines remain ragged still...

Any idea?

• 3. Re: Balance ragged lines not working
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not familiar with the text, but I've tried putting that sentence into a frame that is too narrow to hold the whole thig on one line, then enabling balanve ragged lines, and it does seem to work, so I think maybe you don't understand exactly waht balancing ragged lines means.

When it's enabled, ID tries to find a balance in the entire paragraph to keep all of the lines nearly the same length, but they will still be ragged. In my test the frame was wide enough to fit nearly lthe whole sentence, breaking at the hyphen in cross-training. Enabling balance ragged lines shifted the line break to after the word blues.

For all lines to be the SAME length the paragraph alignment must be set to one of the Justified settings: Justified with last line aligned left, right or centered, or last line fully justified. Justified text adjusts the word spacing, and possibly the letter spacing or horizontal scale (depending on your settings) to fill the lines evenly.

• 4. Re: Balance ragged lines not working
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Truncate? Your text frame is too small.

• 5. Re: Balance ragged lines not working
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

Eadig wrote:

Hello

I am trying enabling Balance Ragged Lines for a heading with no luck. I use the panel menu button in the top right corner and the paragraph styles panel but either way the feature does not work. Could someone out there please desribe the steps to make the feature work in detail for me? I have followed every step given in Adobe InDesign CS6 Digital Classroom..

Regards,

Ead

If you've done lessons that adjust hyphenation and justification, and perhaps also lessons that apply no break properties, or that use non-breaking spaces between words, then it's possible one or more of these properties is affecting how your headline is breaking. Try removing these settings.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: Balance ragged lines not working
                    zevendesign

I came here looking for an answer and as none was provided, I'll tell you what I found:

In the paragraph settings, go to Justification and Composer at the bottom. If it is set to "Adobe Single-Line Composer" it will make the Balance Ragged Line not work. So change it to "Adobe Paragraph Composer."

This solved the problem for me and hopefully will for anyone else running into it.

Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 7.13.51 PM.png