3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 2:47 AM by sjpt

Trouble Downloading ACSM e books

KRomein

Hi

I have Sony Reader for PC & also Digital Editions apps, which I had to download again after purchasing a new PC. I previously had purchased & downloaded e books without any problems to both apps, & subsequently loaded them to my Kobo, also without problems. I recently had trouble with my Kobo & had to reset it, now I'm unable to download the (ACSM)books into Digital Editions (from my PC), or into the Reader for PC- although cover pictures do appear in the Reader for PC Library, but the books won't actually open in there either. I just get messages saying that it's unable to import the item as it already exists in my library then one saying "The item has already been downloaded by another user."

Can someone help me with this. I can't contact the supplier of the books as they've closed.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Trouble Downloading ACSM e books
          sjpt Level 4

(1) After you reset the Kobo, did you reestablish your Adobe ID on it?

(2) Sometimes ADE gets its registration/activation confused and in a semi-authorized state.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not help.

Unfortunately, it often then gives misleading error messages about what is wrong.

A common incorrect message informs you that the ID is already in use on another computer and cannot be reused.

This can often be resolved by completely removing any authorization using ctrl-shift-D to the Library screen on ADE (cmd-shift-D if on Mac).

Restart ADE, and then reauthorize with your (old) Adobe ID.

In extreme cases on the mac, the following extra step has helped some people.  Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash. If you are using 10.7, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1265248?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Trouble Downloading ACSM e books
            KRomein Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your help with this- I really appreciate it.

The Kobo doesn’t ask you to re-establish an Adobe ID when you reset it, so haven't been able to do that. However, the messages I get isn’t that the Adobe ID is in use- when I try to use the Sony Reader App, for example,  I get ‘Unable to Import the item. It already exists in your library', then ’ Item has been downloaded by another user’, and it won't open. If I try opening it with Adobe Reader I get a message saying that it’s either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged.

I did try your suggestion about removing the authorization but unfortunately it hasn't helped- when I try to download the books the message I get in ADE is-

Unable to download

Error Getting Licence.Licence server communication problem:

E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER

Are there any other ideas? I'm really at a loss!

Thanks in advance,

Kim

• 3. Re: Trouble Downloading ACSM e books
              sjpt Level 4

It sounds as if the books have got associated with a different Adobe ID somehow.

I can't really think of anything simple to suggest.

I'm copying below some rather complicated stuff that may help if you can be bothered to follow it through.

I don't think I've made it unnecessarily compicated, it's just the say it is ...

~~~

A book is associated with the AdobeID in use at the time the book was downloaded (.acsm token file turned into encrypted .epub/.pdf file).

An AdobeID has two forms, internal (something like 'urn:uuid:ff2ddc22-eca0-46c6-a84d-xxxxxxxxxxxx') and external (email address).

The authorization mechanism on the book is associated with the internal ID.

The internal ID for an account never changes; you can change the email address it is currently associated with on the Adobe website.

You can check the Adobe ID ADE is using in internal and external form in ADE2.0 using ctrl-shift-I (Help/Authorization Information).

For ADE1.7.2 you sadly only get the external ID, using Library/Authorize Computer (which acts as a query if already authorized).

You can check the AdobeID in external form is Bluefire.

In either case, if you have changed the external ID associated with the account since authorizing the device,

you may be told the old external ID, or may be told the up to date one.

You can check the AdobeID associated with a book in internal form with the rather roundabout method at the bottom of this post.

I don't know of any way of finding the current external ID given the internal ID of the book;

unless it is an ID you still use in which case the mathing values from ADE2.0 will tell you.

~~~~~

OK.  To find the internal AdobeID.

open a sample DRM .epub file as a .zip file.

With some zip programs, you can just open the .epub as an archive (ev, with 7zip),

with others you will have to rename the .epub file to a .zip file first, then open it.

find the file 'rights.xml' within the zip.  Probably  'META-INF\rights.xml'

open the rights.xml file

inside you will find a section '<user>' that looks something like

<user>urn:uuid:ff2ddc22-eca0-46c6-a84d-xxxxxxxxxxxx</user>

That string is the internal version for your AdobeID.

That stays fixed for the AdobeID, even if you change the associated email (or password),

that internal ID is what is really associated with the book.

(n.b. there is no point in trying to change the urn to a current one you might find and recreating the .epub file; the DRM is cleverer than that).