10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 7:11 PM by Steve Grisetti

video importation

silkroad2014

Why can't I import video from my sony handycam HDR-PJ650? It doesn't recognize that the camera is connected to the computer (macbookpro).

• 1. Re: video importation
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Your camera records AVCHD to flash memory, and not to tape. Capture, in PrE, is only for miniDV tape cameras, connected via firewire.

You need to use Get Media/Add Media (depending on your version of PrE), with the camera connected via USB, or the memory card in a card reader.

Most users Copy the FULL contents of their card to their HDD, and then Get/Add Media from that location.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: video importation
            silkroad2014 Level 1

Thank you.

I bought my sony last week and adobe premiere elements 2 days ago via appstore.

My camera is conncted via USB and when I want to add media there is:

1- videos à partir de l'iphone et de cameras

2- camescope DV

3- camescope HDV

4- webcam

5- fichiers et dossiers

When I use the first one, it is saying: "ce périphérique ne contient aucun fichier multimedia compatible", it says that it is not compatible.

How come?

• 3. Re: video importation
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If you Copy the Full Folder structure to you Hard Disc Drive (HDD), you can then use #4 (Files and Folders) to Import the media files into PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: video importation
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, is it safe to assume that you are using PrE 11?

What is your OS? Since you mention the "App Store," is this PrE 11 Editor (a special edition) on a Mac?

If so, you will probably need to Copy your camera's full folder structure to "My Videos," for PrE 11 Editor to use them.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 5. Re: video importation
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

silkroad2014

There appears to be 3 species of Premiere Elements 11 Mac (Premiere Elements 11 Mac/Adobe, Premiere Elements 11 Editor/Mac App Store, and Premiere Elements 11 Quick Editor/Mac App Store). You say that you have the Premiere Elements 11 Editor version. There are differences between Windows and Mac, but also differences between the Mac App Store (Mac Only) versions and Premiere Elements 11 Mac as well as Windows.

For now, let us see if the following works for you if you want to do the file transfer from camera to Premiere Elements 11 Editor via USB.

What are the properties of your source media? For example...1080i25? Can we assume that this is AVCHD with a .mp4 or .mov file extension?

Open Premiere Elements 11 Editor and go to File Menu/New/Project and select the project preset PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25. Make sure that you have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting On This Project before you exit the new project dialog.

Then, Add Media/Videos from Flip or Cameras/Video Importer. If you have your camera connected to the computer via USB (with necessary camera setting for USB transfer), when you get to the Video Importer dialog, you should see your video files. They will be coming from path indicated in the Source field of the Video Importer...typically  drive letter...Camera or Card Reader.

See if that works for you in your Mac computer environment.

The following is the Getting Started Information specific for that Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Editor (Mac App Store)

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/editor/WSa8d319461f013b78-78fb9fff13c284dc45f -8000.html#WS27dec87a7cd59989-307bc0cf137a8ef0176-8000

We will be watching for further developments. If this does not work, then on to saving files to computer hard drive and from there into Premiere Elements with its Add Media/Files and Folders.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: video importation
                    silkroad2014 Level 1

Bill Hunt

Yes, it is PrE 11 editor.

My OS is OSX, version 10.8.4

A.T. Romano

The project preset is PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i25

When I get to the video importer dialog, I don't see videofiles, it is only written that there is no compatible multimedia file.

It is written PMHOME in the source field, I can change PMHOME for NONAME in the source field but it's the same, no compatible multimedia file.

I'm very new to all that, thank you both of you.

I will try to save files to computer and then, from there into Premiere Elements.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: video importation
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This recent thread might offer a bit of help: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1272658?tstart=0

That taught me a something, as I had never heard of PrE Editor for the Mac.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: video importation
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

silkroad2014

We will look forward to your results where you save your files to the computer and then bring them into Premiere Elements 11 with its Add Media/Files and Folders.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user and am trying to do a crash course (without a Mac) on Mac Folder organization.

I can see the Macintosh HD icon and all its sub-folders. In your Home Folder/Users are you going to transfer your camera files to the Movies Folder from where you will be adding them to Premiere Elements 11 with its Add Media/Files and Folders?

Maybe naive but there should be a way to transfer those videos to Premiere Elements 11 Mac via the Video Importer. I suspect a preference setting may be involved. Steve Grisetti, the forum moderator, is a Mac user. He should be able to give us the definitive answer on this so that we can decide if your issue goes to a unique feature of Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Editor (Mac App Store) or to Premiere Elements 11 Mac (Adobe) in general.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: video importation
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

silkroad2014

From your experience with Mac computer does the following have significance with regard to the note on the Video Importer?

Excerpt from

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS8E086945-8338-478a-9083-710C2F9B1DA9. html

Import from DVDs, camcorders, phones, and removable drives

Many types of devices other than DV camcorders, HDV camcorders, webcams, and WDM devices record and store video.

Using the video importer, you can import video clips from tapeless camcorders, FLIP and AVCDHD camera, removable memory devices, and mobile devices.

You can also import files from removable media, such as DVDs, memory cards, and multimedia cards. These files are copied to the hard drive location you specify. The files are also added to the Project Assets panel.

Note:  On Mac OS, Video Importer does not list external DVD drives. Use internal Superdrive in this case.

Or do we need a Steve Grisetti interpretation of this to get to the Video Importer in a Premiere Elements 11 Mac environment?

ATR

• 10. Re: video importation
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what the footnote means, guys. The Video Importer on my Mac works exactly the same way as the Video Importer on my PC. You plug your camcorder into your computer via USB, then you use Add Media/From Flip or Camera to open the Video Importer and connect to your camcorder, smartphone or other device.

However, I do need to configure my camcorder to interface. (It's a Canon AVCHD.) When I turn on my camcorder, set it to playback and connect it via USB, I have to tell the camcorder to draw the video footage from the memory card in the camcorder or the program won't see it.

Does your Sony have anything like that?