8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 9:51 AM by JesseHarris

CS 6 Dual-system Sound Workflow

JesseHarris Level 1

I'm coming from FCP 7, and this is my first project in PPro.  I'm working in CS6 on a Mac with OSX10.8.4.

I have interview footage shot on 5DMK2-3, with production sound recorded separately.  I hand-synced (well-marked) the footage and WAV files in h.264 timelines.  I'd like to cut them together in a Master sequence, using the Source Monitor so I can use Overwrite/Insert edits.

Is there a way to export each syned sequence uncompressed, so they'll be "footage" again I can place in the Source Monitor?  Or must I transcode the synced sequences to 422 ProRes?  I was hoping to avoid any transcoding!  I tried using Command M, to export which brings up a window of AME, and by choosing Match Sequence Settings I get a .mpeg QT.  NOT ideal I imagine...  Again, I'm exporting out of a h.264 Timeline

I know there's an option of just cutting my synced sequences in a Master Sequence, but that will be "nesting" the sequences and I've heard there are problems exporting nested sequencesw with good xml to Pro Tools etc.

Thanks very much for any advice you can send my way.

• 1. Re: CS 6 Dual-system Sound Workflow
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Merged Clips is probably the best option here.  It'll treat the separate video and audio as one clip.

• 2. Re: CS 6 Dual-system Sound Workflow
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Do NOT export them. There is no need. If they are on their own sequence, you can you that sequence in the Source Monitor just like you can any media file.

Put the synced sequence into the Source Monitor and use Overwrite and Insert on to a new sequence all you want. Note that you can't just doubleclick it like you can a media file. Right click and tell it to open in the Source monitor.

• 3. Re: CS 6 Dual-system Sound Workflow
              JesseHarris Level 1

Do NOT export them. There is no need. If they are on their own sequence, you can you that sequence in the Source Monitor just like you can any media file.

Put the synced sequence into the Source Monitor and use Overwrite and Insert on to a new sequence all you want. Note that you can't just doubleclick it like you can a media file. Right click and tell it to open in the Source monitor.

Bingo!  Thank you.  However it acts like a nested sequence (light green) in the Master Sequence.  Any comments regarding any xml issues?  Thanks very much again.

• 4. Re: CS 6 Dual-system Sound Workflow
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I have never tried to export Premiere Pro projects as XML for use in other editing systems. I imagine that nested sequences, which is exactly what they are, might cause a problem.

What did you intend to do?

You may find that after you do all your work, and you have locked it down reasonably well, then THAT is the time for using a Digital Intermediate if you need to export to something for color work or whatever.

• 5. Re: CS 6 Dual-system Sound Workflow
                  JesseHarris Level 1

I'm needing to export xml for a Pro Tools sound mix - I'm checking with my sound mixer to see if he has any experience with PPro exported xml...  And I believe the DI at that point would not work for the mix - however it may be ok for a grade.

I'll let you know what I find out.

What are merged clips referenced by Jim above?  Sounds like it'll still be a nested sequence. 

And by the way AE doesn't seem to like Dynamically Linked Nested Sequences.  I just tried to open my little test sequence in AE for a color grade, a black screen was the result.

• 6. Re: CS 6 Dual-system Sound Workflow
                    JesseHarris Level 1

Jim, is a merged clip still a nested sequence?  Thank you.

• 7. Re: CS 6 Dual-system Sound Workflow
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Merged clips do not behave like nested sequences, but you might want to check to make sure that the XML looks OK. It should, I would guess. Basically a merged clip links audio to video that is like relinking it, except that it was never linked in the first place.

I have never had a need to merge clips because while I often place audio from the footage on the timeline with audio from another device, I generally leave the original audio in place, just muted. So nesting works better for me. But in your case, Jim is right. You are probably better off with merging the audio and video together into a clip that looks and acts like any other clip.

• 8. Re: CS 6 Dual-system Sound Workflow
                        JesseHarris Level 1

Steven,

I'm now reading that merged clips lose all their marker contents - which I've spent two-and-a-half weeks logging and transcribing my footage, with markers and comments.  Wow.  I'd hate to lose all that work, still I will experiment and see if that is indeed true.