5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 12:04 AM by GuruJason

Not able to enable Mercury Engine using openCL, when it did before.

GuruJason

Hello my fellow digital artists,

So I have a laptop with a Radeon 5800 mobilty gfx card. I know its weak with 1gb and I need a better one.

But here is the thing. The other day I went to edit some quickie baby videos & when I made the new project the normal Mercury Engine drop down wasn't grayed out! I had the ability to use it on my hardware, ie... No software only mode. It ran great without any issues and made me think I may not have to upgrade my lappy so quick.

SOOO I went to work on some files that made my computer studder before and today I don't have the option, software only mode.

I ran a vid card check to make sure it was working & still good; it did & was. The only change I made to anything was moving where I want my scratch files which I can't see changing anything.

Any reason I would have had the option to use Mercury Playback Engine on the card but now I don't? Is there a way to change it that isn't in the new project settings?

I felt like I saw Elvis at the coffee shop & when I went with a camera he disappered. Thanks for your help!

@IdeaJason

• 1. Re: Not able to enable Mercury Engine using openCL, when it did before.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows or Mac... and PPro version?

• 2. Re: Not able to enable Mercury Engine using openCL, when it did before.
            GuruJason Level 1

It's a Windows 7 64 Premium with Adobe Premiere Pro CC (up to date).
            Asus G73 (laptop)

I7-720 1.8GHz

8gb ddr5

Radeon HD 5870

2- Seagate Momentous XT 500gb 7200 hybrid 3gb ssd

Fancy lights

Thanks for the help. If I can get that performance back I might be able to stave off the new purchase & decision between laptop or desktop.

Thanks.

(below this is minutia & unnecessary unless you want to comment which I would love. Stay at home Dad's don't talk to adults much.)

Until recently was dead set on desktop. Just saw a tutorial with a guy using a Mac pro laptop which is nothing compared to the specs I can get on any model from xoticpc. He was running everything extremely fast.

Now I'm contemplating laptop but don't know if I want a small 13 or 14 with out optical or get a 15-17 with all the balls and extra sli optical for another gfc card at 32gb ram. Leaning bigger for power & expandability. Your thoughts & any advice is welcome.

• 3. Re: Not able to enable Mercury Engine using openCL, when it did before.
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Software mode is always available.  Chances are you simply made an error in observation when you saw that hardware was available and software was not, meaning it actually said that software was available and hardware was not, and so it still is not.

• 4. Re: Not able to enable Mercury Engine using openCL, when it did before.
                GuruJason Level 1

Jim,

Sorry to be disagreeable, but I know it gave me the option. I remember it clearly because I felt it mock me everytime I couldn't use it. When I saw the normally grayed out box have life in it, I instantly changed it and even remember the wording of the drop down. I remember feeling like I just uncovered some Celestine Prophecy secret. I also know the it enabled as the video was a ton better. Before becoming a stay at home Dad I was a hypnotherapist & have the ability to recall snapshots of my life. This was a big one.

Anyone else I would agree with you but I have been focused on this one feature for months now. Even posting on here about opecl vs cuda.

Any other suggestions? Wasn't there a scripting way to enable some cuda cards? Something like that  for the opencl?

• 5. Re: Not able to enable Mercury Engine using openCL, when it did before.
                  GuruJason Level 1

AHa! I'm so smart that I figured it out! I was clicking the CS6 version and not CC. See, smart.

I guess CS6 won't let you use it and CC will.

Glad to have Sherlocked that one out.  (feel sorta stupid for having two versions loaded and not changing the desktop shortcut)