25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2016 2:23 PM by Bill Gehrke

Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!

JEShort01 Level 4

I just finished building out a Dell T7600 dual Xeon with tons of firepower and this thing smokes!

Specs:

• Dell T7600 workstation, 1300 watt p/s
      • dual e5-2687w Xeon cpus
      • dual EVGA GTX Titan Superclocked gpus
      • 64GB of 1600Mhz ECC memory
      • Areca ARC-1880ix-12-4G (16 ports); added active fan
      • dual Sans Digital 8x drive towers (2x SFF8088 cables to each)
      • 16x 7200rpm drives (mix of 1TB and up WD and Hitachi drives)

Performance using Adobe Premiere CC, v. 7.0.1 (105)

• PPBM6 Disk I/O = 36 sec.
      • PPBM6 H.264 = 68 sec.
      • PPBM6 DVD = 12 sec.
      • PPBM6 Total = 116 sec. (Harm's Monster = 160, Nicol's Monster = 131)

I learned a lot doing this project; here are a few highlights:

• Dual e5-2687w Xeons are WAY more expensive ($3800 for 16 cores) than a oc'd i7-3930k ($500 for 6 cores) but they do deliver; Blu-ray renders and multi-layer RED media unrendered playback can still max out all 32 cores in task manager (16 true cores + 16 hyperthread cores)
      • 64GB really does not help Premiere much, 32GB is just fine unless you need more for After Effects
      • Premiere CC is wicked fast compared to CS5, 5.5, and CS6 for DVD renders when served up with whatever video horsepower you can muster up
        - DVD render time using CS6 was 34 seconds (one or two GTX Titans, it doesn't matter)
        - DVD render time using CC with one GTX Titan was 20 seconds
        - DVD render time using CC with two Titans dropped all the way to 12 seconds
      • Dell T7600 is a beautiful case design; great air flow path, all cables hidden; nice new cold-swap drive holders (which I am not using now)
      • You are on your own when you start adding non-Dell controller and video cards! Everything is working great now, but the information available is so sparse compared to individuals adding Areca controller cards and GTX video cards to Asus, Gigabyte, and other popular motherboards.

Now for a couple of photos. The Sans Digital drive towers make the Dell look large, but it is deceiving. The Dell is about the size of a Cooler Master HAF-922 mid-tower case and the Sans Digital boxes are tiny (only 13.5" high). Three separate components with quick release cable connections makes it pretty easy to lift.

D3S_0392.JPG

D3S_0389.JPG

Regards,

Jim

• 1. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Fantastic work JIm on the PPBM scoring!  It looks like Adobe finally has optimized for dual Xeon's  The only score that you did not do better on is the Disk I/O scoring. and that probably is not significant as your score is very good.  Did you just come into a big inheritance?

I will have a slightly easier to use version of PPBM soon.  In it I am going to gather one new piece of data (which you so kindly supplied) the Premiere version number .  Since with the cloud we now will have to extract the version number as they make wily-nily changes to Premiere for recording with a given set of results.  Many users will never even know what version of Premiere they are running so the new script will automatically extract that for inclusion.

I do agree that Premiere 7.0.1 (105) now has another great accelerator for GPU accelerated effects and features with the addition of a second GPU, and they have added new GPU accelerated effects.  In our PPBM6 with Premiere 6.0.3 there is more red line above the timeline and if you run the same timeline in  Premiere 7.0.1 (105) you will find less red-lining

• 2. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
            Alex - DV411 Level 2
            • DVD render time using CC with two Titans dropped all the way to 12 seconds

Nice! Congrats Jim - and thanks for posting the benchmarks.

D3S_0389.JPG

What are the three cables running through the top of the case? (MiniSAS from 1882ix to outside?)

(The only thing that's puzzling about this picture is that white DVI-to... gasp... VGA adapter?  )

• 3. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
              JEShort01 Level 4

Bill,

From what I can see, Adobe has sweetened CC with increased ability to tap into CUDA core processing including, but not limited to the ability to use CUDA cores from more than one video card. I'm not sure they are evening hyping this improvement!? A 2x improvement in DVD render speed - I think that its worth mentioning! Then again, maybe with a Quadro card it would not be so noticable.

I think that the ability to tap into all cores from dual-Xeons dates back at least to the first 64-bit release, CS5, and possibly even earlier.

I'm glad to see you are not dropping PPBM! I didn't even send my recent PPBM6 results in since the PPBM6 site (at www.ppbm7.com) does not seem to have any new tests posted (I don't see Nicol's new dual Titan results posted). If I send them in when will they be posted?

Sidebar, I sure miss Harm! He brought so much to PPBM testing and to this forum. I see he has just updates some guides on the PPBM site, but this whole HW forum is simply not the same without his tireless, frequent, critical, and caring forum posts.

Regarding paying for this "project", no I did not receive an inheritance, and no, I'm not going to keep it either. It is expensive, and I can't justify the cost for how it would benefit me. When I say, "I learned a lot from this project", I did but my intent was to have some fun and to learn. I still have a full-loop water cooled i7-970 6-core w/ 24GB of RAM, a full water block GTX 480, and lots of drives (SSD/HD mix). It is an oldie, but a goodie. My next "keeper" build will not likely happen for many months, and will also likely be full-loop water cooled. Full loop water is painful to plan and build, but oooohhhh so quiet. By testing with a build with very few limits, one can get a feel for what is possible. I will keep the Dell for awhile and then eBay it; I got a good price on the base system at Dell Outlet, so this has cost me in time, but hopefull not money.

What would I build today if I wanted a high-end rig and my work flow did not include 4k or larger?

- OC'd i7-3930k

- GTX 780 (maybe two?)

- SSD boot (2 or more in RAID 0 configuration; many swear against this practice, I simply love the responsiveness that it brings and I always keep a fresh image backup of my OS/programs array)

- Areca RAID 5 array w/ 8 drives (2 or 3TB 7200's w/ 64mb caches)

- BlackMagic card or external device (I'm not sure which one)

- dual 27" IPC monitors

- Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl case

- Corsair AX1200i p/s

- 64GB RAM (CC may not need more than 32GB now, but just give Adobe time! And RAM is so cheap now!)

Jim

• 4. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                JEShort01 Level 4

Alex,

The Areca ARC-1880ix-12-4g has 3 internal SFF8087 connectors and the cables I am using have a SFF8088 on the other end so they can be quickly connected up to the Sans Digital 8x drive towers. The controller also has one external SFF8088 connector that has its own 8088/8088 cable. I looked into available pass-through 8087/8088 pci connectors but really liked the simplicity and robustness of not having 6 additional connectors in the RAID chain.

If someone can afford dual 2687w cpus, then they would maybe also want to afford 8 SSDs that could fit all nicely into proper drive bays in the T7600 case. In the case of this Areca card or its similar brothern, the 8088 external port could then feed into a 4x external drive appliance for backups.

Regarding the VGA adapter, yes that is how I set it up so I could run it though a KVM switcher to my monitor #2. As I explain in my reply to Bill, this is a project for me. The video is HORRIBLE through VGA btw! Jittery lines, dull pixels, etc.

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Son of T7600 is still pretty fast.

I have scaled back from the build list at the start of this thread so I can sell this thing. It is still pretty fast, and I feel more in line with what most high-end users would want. Here is the new build list and PPBM6 score for the sake of comparison:

Specs:

• single EVGA GTX Titan Superclocked gpus (was dual)
                  • Areca ARC-1880i 8-port RAID card (was 16-port before)
                  • Sans Digital 8x drive tower (was dual before)
                  • 8x 7200rpm 1TB WD drives configured as RAID 5 (was 16x before configured as RAID 0)

• PPBM6 Disk I/O = 47 sec. (was 36)
                  • PPBM6 H.264 = 74 sec. (was 68)
                  • PPBM6 DVD = 21 sec. (was 12)
                  • PPBM6 Total = 142 sec. (was 116)
                  • 6. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                    JETNeuro

Becareful with the motherboard. i also own a T7600 and it has been nothing but trouble. at first we thought it was a Samsung 840 pro SSD, then windows drivers, last but not least our quadro card stopped pushing a signal.

right now we are waiting on a tech to replace the motherboard.

in all we are happy with the T7600. but we do not feel it is worth the premium or the top billing that the precision line gets.

*Update

Dells tech support is out of this world. i had to really give them a hard time becuase the product failed, but they delievered in a way few compaines can.

in the past with another unit and this one we ran into some hardware issues and in both cases dell out right replaced the unit and gave us an upgrade. we still experienced downtime. but in terms of taking responsibility and making up for it i do not believe Mac or HP could even come close to Dell.

After being on crisis lock down we are back to being happy Dell customers.

Message was edited by: JETNeuro

• 7. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                      Martin Douglas Level 2

It would be interesting to see the benchmarks of say 2x GTX760 4GB vs 1 x GTX Titan and how they compare.

Martin

• 8. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                        gkphoto

If you don't mind me asking, what's the ballpark of something like this in terms of cost?

• 9. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                          JETNeuro Level 1

GK,

our build was around $6k with a monitor

around $3500 gets you

32 GB of RAM

Dual 6 cores

Quadro 4000

256 GB boot

RAID controller card

upper drive bay cage was extra (dell rep gave us it for free)

3 year warranty parts and labor

3x enterprise drives were almost $1k

extra SSD drive samsung 840 pro was $220

U3011 was $1k

we rececived some upgrades from dell since our system freaked out and died.

have a quadro K5000 now,

this computer we have now runs flawlessly for what we do.

• 10. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                            gkphoto Level 1

Wow thanks for the info. In a few years I'd lvoe to move up into soemthing like that. 

I'm frankensteining my XPS 8700 now cause that's way out of my league until I build up more clients and have a need for something so turbocharged. I added a new 750W PSU and a GeForce 780 yesterday, and next up will be two SSDs in RAID 0 for scratch discis for editing timelapses in AE and PP from RAW files. Hope it works!

• 11. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                              cc_merchant Level 4

$ 20+ K is closer to the real cost I guess.

• 12. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                                JEShort01 Level 4

Cost est. to replicate the full Dell T7600 Super-Titan would be a bit over $12,000; see breakdown below. The son of Super-Titan would be less with only a single GTX Titan video card, 8 RAID drives, and a smaller Areca controller; it could be replicated for a bit under $10,000.

Dell T7600 as of today on Small Business web site: (just under $7,000 w/ small business discount)

• Blu-ray burner
                                • 256GB boot SSD

Video cards: (just over $2,000)

• dual EVGA GTX Titan Superclocked gpus

RAID setup: (approx. $3200)

• Areca ARC-1880ix-12-4G (16 ports); added active fan and BBU
                                • 13. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                                  wshinn1 Level 1

Plugging a vga adapter into a Titan should be a sin.

No but seriously? Two titans ($2,000) and can't afford a DVI cable or monitor?

• 14. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                                    JEShort01 Level 4

My main PC remains connected using dual-DVI to two Dell flat-panels.

I think you missed this reply from post #4:

"Regarding the VGA adapter, yes that is how I set it up so I could run it though a KVM switcher to my monitor #2. As I explain in my reply to Bill, this is a project for me. The video is HORRIBLE through VGA btw! Jittery lines, dull pixels, etc."

Jim

• 15. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                                      JEShort01 Level 4

Adobe has definitely improved how their software runs. My early testing is indicating as others have indicated that CC 2014 is definitely faster.

Due to a HORRIBLE Adobe CC license meltdown I have had to completely rebuild the Super Titan O/S [sidebar summary: CC license problem, 5 support calls and multiple remote Adobe sessions on my PC from India = utter disaster].

What I am seeing along the way is worth reporting during the build. With only a single drive (Dell 256GB SSD, which is an OEM Samsung 830 model), with a new score of 127 seconds, this PC would be in third place on the PPBM7 leaderboard. Hmmmm... lots of forum posters have said that you must have at least two drives to run Premiere. Please stop saying this complete untruth in this day of really fast SSDs and lots of RAM. And those forced to use laptops - rejoice!

Let's get back to some results. First, when the Super Titan was tested just under a year ago, here were the PPBM7 results:

Specs:

• dual Intel e5-2687w Xeon cpus
                                      • dual EVGA GTX Titan Superclocked GPUs
                                      • Areca ARC-1880ix-12-4G (16 ports); added active fan

• PPBM6 Disk I/O = 36 sec. (with 16 drive RAID array)
                                      • PPBM6 H.264 = 68 sec.
                                      • PPBM6 DVD = 12 sec.
                                      • PPBM6 Total = 116 sec.
                                      • I am only going from memory, but when playing back the PPBM7 H.264 test project, I was getting some dropped frames (but not many)
                                      • Scrubbing performance = excellent

And now, with Adobe Premiere CC 2014, v. 8.0.1 (h/w is now: 128GB 1600Mhz RAM, no Areca controller, ALL files on 256GB boot C: SSD)

• Disk I/O = 62 sec. (with single boot/OS 256GB SSD used for everything - media, project, scratch, swap, render outputs, Windows, etc.)
                                      • H.264 = 54 sec. (drops to 64 seconds if have only one GTX Titan Superclocked GPU)
                                      • DVD = 11 sec. (drops to 22 if only have one GTX Titan Superclocked GPU installed)
                                      • PPBM7 Total = 127
                                      • All 3 timelines in the PPBM7 benchmark project can now playback entirely with zero lost frames and with full playback resolution selected. This is good stuff; who cares how long a render takes if your timeline work is stuttering.
                                      • Scrubbing performance = excellent

In summary, my conclusions include:

• Premiere CC 2014 is measurably faster than the CC version from 1 year ago
                                      • Dual GPUs do help a powerful PC: 18% faster for H.264 render, 100% faster for DVD render
                                      • I feel that less frames were dropped
                                      • Today's best SSDs are quite useful for use with editing compressed (aka typical) video editing workflows for most of us; Sure 4:4:4 4k uncompressed will still need some serious drive-power, but for typical AVCHD, Sony AX100 4k, etc., you simply do not need the old-school "1 drive for media, 1 for scratch, 1 for projects, etc.".

Finally, not many reading this post will have plans for building a new PC with 128GB right now. The good news for you is that when I limited PPro CC 2014 to only use 24GB (i.e. simulating a 32GB PC with 8GB used for O/S, programs, and Windows file caching, the results for PPBM7 did not change significantly.

Regards,

Jim

• 16. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Nice to see the dual GPU is working better with the update. The initial release actually exported slower with both GPU's installed.

Eric

ADK

• 17. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!

Jim,

When Harm get back off vacation maybe he will post my 118 total.  This is with my vintage 2010 (i7-980X at 4.2 GHz, my RAID0 4x256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD's, 24 GB of RAM, two moderate price GPU's and of course Premiere 8.0.1)

It is amazing how much faster this new Premiere is compared to CS6.

• 18. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                                            JEShort01 Level 4

Bill,

That is very interesting news and those are really great results! I'd be curious to see the 4 individual times that made up your vintage 2010's 118 second total.

I'd really like to know how many frames (if any) are dropped during timeline playback on that same PC with playback resolution changed to full (for PPBM7 H.264 and DVD MPEG2 timelines).

Thanks,

Jim

• 19. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!

Jim,

My four numbers are "27", "76","15","501", so the major difference is my disk transfer rate of 1373 MB/sec from my ARC -1880 RAID controller.  I have the dual GPU's out right now and seeing weird results like one GPU running at x8 and the other x16 so I have to do some experimenting.

Bill

• 20. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                                                JEShort01 Level 4

I just uploaded a new set of PPBM7 results to Bill and Harm's site using Adobe CC 2014 (system ID = JES6). The resulting 92 second composite score is under 100 seconds (a new record) and certainly benefits from improvements made to CC 2014.

PPBM7 CSV times = 34 (I/O), 47 (H.264), 11 (DVD) (total composite time = 92 seconds), DVD export software only = 198

H/W included: Dell T7600, 128GB ECC RAM, 256GB boot SSD, Areca 8x M550 RAID 0 data array, and dual EVGA Superclocked GTX Titan GPUs.

I did this testing about a month ago and was wanting to see how this same setup would do with a 24 or 28 HDD array (instead of the 8x SSD array), but I have not had time to experiment with that.

Some other interesting observations:

- with over 128GB of RAM, I was able to put the entire PPMB7 project on a RAMDISK and that setup was a bit slower than what I reported above using the 8x SSD array; while a RAMDISK synthetic benchmark is 4.5 GB/sec, the PPBM7 I/O test to a RAMDISK was slower than the SSD array. I would surmise that this is possibly due to the RAMDISK load on the CPU and possibly CPU cache (buffer) memory.

- CC 2014 seems to really help timeline and scrubbing performance; absolutely zero frames are lost on this dual Xeon system when playing back all the PPBM7 timelines at full resolution.

- dual Xeon PCs have two NUMA memory banks and the NUMA0 bank does perform a bit faster (the NUMA1 RAM is managed through a bridge to CPU #2); this too is an indicator that DDR3 is holding performance back a bit for a system this powerful. Eric Bowen's recent Haswell-E benchmarking tests seem to support this theory as well.

- GPUs were definitely working harder (higher % load, faster results) for the PPBM7 h.264 export test than this same system running CS6 or CC.

Regards,

Jim

• 21. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                                                  JEShort01 Level 4

My latest build, a Dell T7910 dual Xeon, is faster than the original T7600 Super Titan. I just uploaded a new set of PPBM9 results to Bill and Harm's site using Adobe CC 2015 v9.1.0.174 (system ID = JES8).

PPBM9 results (in seconds):

33 (I/O)

34 (H.264)

11 (DVD); 172 (DVD w/o GPUs)

78 (Total)

H/W included: Dell T7910, 128GB ECC RAM, Areca 8x Intel 730 RAID array, and the same dual EVGA Superclocked GTX Titan GPUs as used in the original Super Titan. I have an Intel 400GB 750 PCIe NVMe drive installed too, but the Areca SSD RAID is faster. OS, program files, and all Adobe files are on the RAID array.

Observations from this build:

- Haswell-EP is faster and cooler than the original e5-2687w Xeons, but for being newer by almost 3 years, having a smaller die size (22nm), and with DDR4 memory, I was kind of expecting larger gains

- the 34 second result on the Blu-ray (H.264) test is awesome and quite a bit faster than the previous fastest PPBM figure (RedShredder dual Xeon at 44 seconds); possibly Adobe made some improvements in v9.1.0.174

Regards,

Jim

• 22. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                                                    JEShort01 Level 4

Bill,

There were 9 submissions to your PPBM web site in October, and nothing has posted since. Is something broken? My submission to your site seemed error free on December 5th.

Please let me know if I need to resubmit the results for JES8.

Thanks,

Jim

• 23. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!

JEShort01 wrote:

Bill,

There were 9 submissions to your PPBM web site in October, and nothing has posted since. Is something broken? My submission to your site seemed error free on December 5th.

Please let me know if I need to resubmit the results for JES8.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, I am sorry but I am now the sole maintainer of results on ppbm7.com and my recent time has been spent with a bunch of personal problems.  The last up date was 2015/10/27.  Maybe after the first of the year I can try my hand.updating.  Your and many other results have arrived, it just is a complex procedure to do the updating. 

Your scores of   "33","34","11","173", Premiere Version:, 9.1.0.174  are great.

But my scores   "19","50","11","271", Premiere Version:, 9.1.0.174 with my i7-5960x @4.5GHz, 64 GB 2666MHz RAM, 1-GTX780 Ti (OC) and 1-GTX 780 (OC) and a 950 Pro RAID 0 with SM951 ain't poor for the total score, but comparing the last two numbers really show a major weakness of our benchmark in not somehow using that measurement or weighted version of it.  Your 173 seconds with the dual Xeons versus my 271 seconds with that CPU intensive score dramatically illustrates that weakness.  Also I believe that more CPU power makes the difference in the H.264 measurements

• 24. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!
                                                        JEShort01 Level 4

Bill,

You stated in mid-December that you were the sole maintainer for the PPBM7 results table now, but that your life was too busy to do any updates.

Well now its been 4 months since there have been any user-submitted results entered! Harm's new updated monster results were added during this time, and probably he entered that result himself.

You've certainly been active on this forum and on testing M.2 SSDs, so I would think that you have the time to devote to PPBM now if you so choose. I know that your work on PPBM is purely a volunteer effort, but come on - its been 4 months now!

I've personally gained a lot from your work and Harm's over the years, so I'd hate to see PPBM testing and the public display of user results die.

Specifically:

1) Will you or anyone ever be updating user submitted results again (for www.ppbm7.com)?

2) If so, when?

If you're having to do manual updates, whereas Harm possibly had a more automated way of getting this done, maybe you should put out a request to get some help from another partner that cares about PPBM and knows web-scripting or whatever it would take to keep this going.

Thanks,

Jim

• 25. Re: Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!

I doubt I will be doing any more updating to PPBM7 results. See the email I sent you.

If anyone is interested a database job let me know.  It is a 25 step procedure.