17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 7:56 AM by John T Smith

Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11

My Adobe Premiere 11 Level 1

I installed the trial version of Adobe Premiere 11 and Adobe Photoshop. I have now purchased the full versions online, and need to know the steps involed in converting to full version. Can you help?

• 1. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As I have never converted a trial to the full-paid version, the actual syntax of these directions might be a little off, but in the Help drop-down menu, from the Toolbox, you should have an "Activation," or "Registration" choice. That should open a dialog box, where you can type in your S/N. Then, I would also make sure to do a Registration with Adobe, if you did not buy the license from them, but from a certified reseller. That will log your S/N with Adobe, so that you can access it, should you lose yours, and need to reinstall the program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, be sure to write the download files, and a text file with your serial number, to a DVD as backup

Use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders to DVD (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Finally, when everything is registered and working, make a full backup of your boot/software hard drive to an external USB hard drive

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm - Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

• 3. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

My Adobe Premiere 11

What computer operating system are you running your Photoshop Elements 11/Premiere Elements 11 tryout version?

ATR

• 4. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11

Running on Windows Vista. I think I have been able to install the full version by entering the serial number in the trial version, and then hit continue. No other message popped up, so I guess the full version is now installed? How would I check to know if I have the full version now, instead of the trial? (I know, sounds like a stupid question. Sorry.

• 5. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

My Adobe Premiere 11

Make sure you have written down the serial number.

Entering the purchased serial number in the tryout where it asks for a serial number or "continue the tryout" should have worked nicely and it appears that it did.

Close Premiere Elements and see if you are greeted by the same request for serial number or "continue the tryout" window.

We will be watching for the outcome.

You realize that your Photoshop Elements 11 will be a 32 bit application on your Vista (assumed 64 bit) and your Premiere Elements 11 will be a 32 bit as well. Premiere Elements 11 becomes a 64 bit application only when it is run on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit or Mac 64 bit.

ATR

• 6. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You should be able to go to Help>About and see that your PrE has been converted from trial to full-paid.

Also, note that there are a few components, that will be "activated," when you first use them. This should be seamless, and transparent to you, provided that your computer is connected to the Internet.

This activation is done for accounting purposes. In the trial, a few modules are disabled, because Adobe pays a licensing fee for those. Then, when someone buys the program, those modules are activated, and Adobe pays the fee.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11

Thanks for your response(s). I did close Premiere Elements 11 and then re-launched it. No request for serial number, or "continue the tryout" message appeared. So I guess that after I keyed in the serial number of the full version I purchased online, it looks like the full version has now replaced the trial one. I guess that the screen where you can enter the serial number only pops up once, when you are installing the full version to replace the trial one. I probably will never see that enter serial number message again?

• 8. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11

Thanks! I did go to Help, About. Lots of "Legal Notices" appeared. with names of engineers, etc. Also, at top it reads "Adobe Premiere Elements 11, Version 11.0 (20-120921,B275,4r35760)". Perhaps this is a form of confirmation that I now have the full, non-trial version?

• 9. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

My Adobe Premiere 11

I think that you are ready to get into action. Except for the Adobe watermark, there try out is the same as the purchased. Well, maybe you cannot update Camera Raw in the tryout but otherwise.

Also, check Help Menu/Updates. You may find an update pending for Camera Raw. Update. That Camera Raw will allow you to import raw and dng images into a project when and if needed. But, you cannot open the Camera Raw dialog in Premiere Elements. You need Photoshop Elements for that and you have it.

Later you can check at the Adobe web site "My Account" to see if you are listed there yet.

ATR

• 10. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11

Thanks for all your help. I did check My Adobe account and I see my order listed there for my purchase of the full versions of Premiere and Photoshop. BTW, I also noticed that only the Premiere Registration Number was listed, so I added the Photoshop Registration Number.

I note your advice about Camera Raw. Not sure if I should get that update. I plan on using Adobe Premiere 11 to create music videos for original songs I've recorded. I tested, on the trial version of Premiere, importing some video footage shot with my wife's Blackberry. It worked OK. Not clear on what type of cameras are used in Camera Raw, to know if I'd need that update?

• 11. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

My Adobe Premiere 11

Thanks for the follow up.

The following is the Adobe list of cameras supported by Camera Raw plug-in and Premiere Elements version.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

So, if your still image is raw type, you will be able to import and use it in your Premiere Elements project. Keys to this:

a. Your camera needs to be supported by Camera Raw installed

and at the same time

b. The version of Premiere Elements used needs to support the Camera Raw version.

and

c. Since raw images have very large pixel dimensions, computer resources will define how many and if they can be used without compromising computer resources.

If you have a camera not on the supported list for your Premiere Elements/Camera Raw version, then you can convert the raw image to dng (See DNG Converter download).

Right now I do not see raw still images in your Premiere Elements project plans. But that is an abridged version of the story if you should ever need the feature which is updated by Adobe periodically. Camera Raw updates are from within Premiere Elements via Help Menu/Updates.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 12. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR has done a great job of explaining ACR (Adobe Camera RAW), and where it supports current Camera RAW files. Though I am not sure about the update schedule for Camera RAW modules for PrE & PsE, Adobe normally releases an ACR update about every quarter +/-. Should be the same, or similar with the ACR module for PrE/PsE too, though I only recall one ACR update this year. Usually, if one has just bought a brand new stills camera, that shoots in Camera RAW, it's a pretty short time, until Adobe includes that camera in their ACR module. Until that new, updated ACR module is released, ATR's suggestion to use DNG is the ideal workflow. It involves an addition, albeit simple step.

If one is not shooting stills in Camera RAW, then they have no need for the ACR module (will be installed already), or need the update - nothing to be lost, however, by updating. The user will just never see the ACR in operation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Camera Raw 7.4 and DNG Converter 7.4 are the latest versions for Photoshop Elements 11 Premiere Elements 11 while other Adobe programs have the currently released Camera Raw 8.1 as well as the DNG Converter 8.1.

At this time, DNG Converter 8.1 is available to Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements users. I currently have it installed, and it is working well. More details upon request.

Many suspect that Camera Raw 8.1 will find its way to Photoshop Elements 12 Premiere Elements 12, the presumed next versions of these programs to be released sooner or later. Only Adobe knows for sure at this time.

ATR

• 14. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that information on the ACR modules.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11

Thanks very much for your valuable input on Camera Raw. Just FYI: I plan on including royalty free stock photos as some frames in music videos I'll be making, at home, along with live action clips from my wife's Blackberry phone camera. I think the stock photos give me more choices in finding images that match particular lyrical content in my songs. After I create these home music videos, I'll upload them onto YouTube. Some of my songs are funny novelty themes, so they may get some hits. We'll see. No matter what, it should be fun to make them.

• 16. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

My Adobe Premiere 11

Thank you for your follow up. Very pleased that my information on Camera Raw and Premiere Elements were interesting and informative and there for you when and if you ever do decide to use raw or dng stills in one of your Premere Elements projects.

Your project plans sound like you will have fun creating those YouTube videos.

Wishing you success.

ATR

• 17. Re: Problem converting trial version of Adobe Premiere 11
                                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>stock photos as some frames

Before you start working with pictures in video, read these

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935