7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 12:36 PM by Nipun Asthana

Replace library folders getting error

aconma

When I try to replace a folder in my library by a new version of this folder, the complier show these warning:

**Warning** The linkage identifier 'com.aconma.controls.TextMenu' was already assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/AconmaComponents/TextMenu/textMenu', and cannot be assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/TextMenu/textMenu', since linkage identifiers must be unique.

**Warning** The linkage identifier 'com.aconma.controls.Slider' was already assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/AconmaComponents/Slider/Slider', and cannot be assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/Slider/Slider', since linkage identifiers must be unique.

**Warning** The linkage identifier 'com.aconma.controls.NumericStepper' was already assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/NumericStepper', and cannot be assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/NumericStepper', since linkage identifiers must be unique.

**Warning** The linkage identifier 'com.aconma.controls.ComboBoxItem' was already assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/AconmaComponents/ComboBox/ComboBoxItem/ComboBoxItem', and cannot be assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/ComboBox/ComboBoxItem/ComboBoxItem', since linkage identifiers must be unique.

**Warning** The linkage identifier 'com.aconma.controls.ComboBox' was already assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/AconmaComponents/ComboBox/ComboBox', and cannot be assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/ComboBox/ComboBox', since linkage identifiers must be unique.

**Warning** The linkage identifier 'com.aconma.controls.TickBox' was already assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/AconmaComponents/CheckBox/TickBox/TickBox', and cannot be assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/CheckBox/TickBox/TickBox', since linkage identifiers must be unique.

**Warning** The linkage identifier 'com.aconma.controls.CheckBox' was already assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/AconmaComponents/CheckBox/CheckBox', and cannot be assigned to the symbol 'AconmaComponents/CheckBox/CheckBox', since linkage identifiers must be unique.

I have to delete old folder and paste the new, and everything work fine

Anyone have the same issue?

• 1. Re: Replace library folders getting error
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

You're assigning an ActionScript linkage (class) to items in the library. When you paste your new folder Flash is simply telling you that items in your existing library already exist using the names it mentions (com.aconma.controls.TextMenu, com.aconma.controls.NumericStepper, etc). This is normal desirable behavior to make sure you actually want to do what it's warning you about. Deleting the folder removes those classes from existing therefore you can paste the folder in safely, no collisions exist any longer.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Replace library folders getting error
            aconma Level 1

I have a.fla and b.fla. In a.fla I have a folder contains other folders and symbols (call "F")

I paste F to b.fla and edit F in b.fla (doesn't change linkage definition, only change the interface, like alpha, color... of some symbol, doesn't edit Classes, doesn't add any folder or symbol to F.

Then I paste F back to a.fla. A dialog appear, I choose "replace existing items" => ok

Everything is ok until I test the movie, the warning displayed and I can't test movie.

Additional, when I cut a folder from library then undo, some symbol was lost.

• 3. Re: Replace library folders getting error

As for classes, the problem is probably that you're duplicating a component of some sort to try to change the behavior or appearance and Flash is warning you that you pasted a duplicate. Breaking apart the error:

**Warning**

The linkage identifier

'com.aconma.controls.TextMenu'

was already assigned to the symbol

'AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/AconmaComponents/TextMenu/textMenu',

and cannot be assigned to the symbol

'AconmaComponents/TextMenu/textMenu',

since linkage identifiers must be unique.

Sometimes it just helps to break it out.

If you go in the folder "AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/AconmaComponents/TextMenu" and find the library item named "textMenu", right-click on it, select properties and look in Advanced (select the "Advanced" rolldown if it's not already open). You should see "Export for Actionscript" checked off. You should also see in the "Class" input below the class: com.aconma.controls.TextMenu

Now if you do the same steps but this time to the library element in the folder "AconmaComponents/TextMenu/"

library item "textMenu", you should see the same class name: com.aconma.controls.TextMenu

That's bad. Each linkage ID is based on the class name, and they must all be unique.

You have to remove the duplicate (either of the 2 folders mentioned) to remove that one warning. You'll need to continue deleting the other repeated elements to get rid of the rest of the warnings. Once you have no warnings left it should work. However any references in your project to what you just deleted won't show up.

If you want to customize that specific component multiple times it should follow the standard component skinning model but you'll need to refer to their documentation to verify that. You'll need to only include the TextMenu component (and all the others) a single time in your project and then assign different skins to change anything about them.

• 4. Re: Replace library folders getting error
                aconma Level 1

But I don't have the folder AconmaComponents/NumericStepper/AconmaComponents/TextMenu

I just have the folder AconmaComponents/TextMenu

So the definitions are already unique.

I think it can be a bug when flash replacing items?

• 5. Re: Replace library folders getting error

Try clearing your publish cache (Control->Clear Publish Cache) and save the file before testing. What version of Flash is this and what version of OSX or Windows?

Also remember any "included" SWFs whether it be via embed, runtime shared library, included SWC, etc will collide with each other as well.

• 6. Re: Replace library folders getting error
                    aconma Level 1

I'm using Flash Pro CC - Windows 8 64-Bit

I'll test it again and tell you what's happened step by step...

• 7. Re: Replace library folders getting error
                      Nipun Asthana Adobe Employee

Hi,

This is an expected behavior in Flash. The Warning messages are thrown while publishing whenever you have different symbols linking to the same AS3 class.

Looking at your warnings it seems like you initially had a folder full of components/symbols with some AS3 class associated with each of them. Then you copied the folder into some other file's library, renamed the components/symbols over there while maintaining the same AS3 class names. Then you probably copied back the *updated* folder to your original library.

What happens here is that since all the component/symbol's names are different after renaming, the copied folder gets merged with the existing one and none of the components or symbols get overwritten. So now you have two copies of the same item in library pointing to the same class which would eventually throw Warnings during Publishing.

To resolve this, you'd either have to remove the AS3 class names from all of the old existing items in library. or simply delete the existing folder and then paste the new one.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Nipun